Gibson Brands Forums

What should I do?

retrorod

I am getting more concerned over the soundhole wear on my '57 CF100E. I have owned it for seven years and am primarily a flat-picker/strummer. It has been my main acoustic as it simply plays and sounds so damn good and I can plug-in.

The guitar had significant lower soundhole wear when I bought it....

THEN

1482528471066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

AND NOW

The raw wood is shredding and splintering worse now and I'm afraid the sound hole will be 'out of round' soon. The edge of the soundboard has beveled to paper thin.

2449865930066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

2122160410066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

Would you try to repair the area or let it go the way of Willie's Trigger?

Here were see the classic issue as actually happens. I understand your concern and would give it a fine sanding, then a hard-matt-lacquer treat.

I agree with this approach. It won't stop the wear, but cleaning it up and sealing it may slow it down. You could use spray nitro (in a can), masking off areas to protect them. You could even repeat this in the future. Basically, you'll have to wear away the lacquer before wearing the wood down further.

There may come a time where it unravels (is this the word) and when/if it happens I think you should accept it and bring it to the luthier for a fix.

The repair would be an honest part of the guitars history, fate and personality* and thus become a charm.

You obviously like it a lot and don't intend to pass it soon (if I'm not wrong).

*I'm sure you know exactly what I mean - nice 6-string, by the way. . . .

Thanks all for the input. I think I will pursue a fix. Since it is down to bare wood, the sawdust is piling up faster.. [scared] ! Kind of like 'shredding' in the wood shop.

I plan on keeping this guitar for the 'longhaul'! Guess I better take care of it...

I will report back with what I end up doing when I end up doing it.... [thumbup]

Rod

You could move the pickguard over the Rosette.. :rolleyes:[biggrin]

Nice Cf... Theyre ment to be played.. Looks like your doing it some Good...

Taking a look at... Are you by a Guitar store? see if they have a Aftermarket Adhesive Pickguard.. Cut it out to match the area and put it on.. like a extension..

I think Wily is on to something. --” it would be great if some sound hole, snap-on kind of rim protector for guitars that are to be strummed a lot “ My 1st thought is to have your luthier add binding to the sound hole to kinda match what the rest of your guitar has.

I would coat the bare wood with Bullseye clear shellac thinned by alcohol. It will seal the bare wood and do no harm. shellac works as a base coat for everything. It will keep away any water damage and lock things together enough that you won't make moe sawdust.

I would ask myself how this damage is taking place and see if the technique is necessary or could be cleaned up etc.

Thanks Jerry, but its really not a mystery. This guitar is a flat-pickin/strummin machine. I believe a previous owner played it alot and had really long fingernails on his strumming hand (I have none). Through repetitive strumming, first the finish and then some wood was worn away. I remember when recieving the guitar (7 years ago) that this area had been slightly grooved like three scalloped areas that conformed to my nail-less last three digits when I strummed with my pick. It felt like I was playing in the same 'groove' so to speak as the guitars' previous keeper. I felt a certain 'kinship'!

Since the wood in that area had already been compromised, it is just a gradual progression of wear from the heavy picks that I like to use.

I spent the better part of 45 years in developing my technique (such as it is) and I don,t see any chance of changing it or cleaning it up... [biggrin]

As a side thought...none of my other acoustics display this degree of wear.

Just some insight, Rod

Thanks Jerry, but its really not a mystery. This guitar is a flat-pickin/strummin machine. I believe a previous owner played it alot and had really long fingernails on his strumming hand (I have none). Through repetitive strumming, first the finish and then some wood was worn away. I remember when recieving the guitar (7 years ago) that this area had been slightly grooved like three scalloped areas that conformed to my nail-less last three digits when I strummed with my pick. It felt like I was playing in the same 'groove' so to speak as the guitars' previous keeper. I felt a certain 'kinship'!

Since the wood in that area had already been compromised, it is just a gradual progression of wear from the heavy picks that I like to use.

I spent the better part of 45 years in developing my technique (such as it is) and I don,t see any chance of changing it or cleaning it up... [biggrin]

As a side thought...none of my other acoustics display this degree of wear.

Just some insight, Rod

Let me preface this by saying I personally think a guitar is a tool in the service of art and if your art involves doing things that beat up the guitar, so be it IMO. That said, it strikes me that you have not yet really expressed what exactly is happening that shreds the wood at the edge of the soundhole below the strings. From what you have said I gather that you are somehow hitting it with a heavy pick, but the question is why, how? Is this just abandoned wild strumming where you are not too scrupulous about where the pick goes? What precisely are you doing when the pick hits that spot? In other words is this hard downstrokes on all the strings together, downstrokes on first string.... what exactly? You asked what would I do and my answer is I would try to understand what I am doing that causes the damage. I don't see how you can appropriately respond to this (put finish on the wood, extend the guard,etc) without clearing that point up.

Yeah, I'd try to alter technique. Beyond that, as someone said, an extension? Kinda like we used to do back in the 60s, with our boot heels... affix a steel thingy at the rear of the heel so your boot heel wouldn't wear so fast. I dunno about that actually but it brought back a cool memory.

Aside from changing your technique (which doesn't seem likely), this little device might be an option: the O-Port from Planet Waves. You could trim the lower "bell" part of it off and just have a sound hole surround that would defend the edge from further damage without altering the guitar in anyway. Available in black as well.

OPort.jpg

Aside from changing your technique (which doesn't seem likely), this little device might be an option: the O-Port from Planet Waves. You could trim the lower "bell" part of it off and just have a sound hole surround that would defend the edge from further damage without altering the guitar in anyway. Available in black as well.

OPort.jpg

Buc - I been thinking about it. Do you still use the O-Port. Have you tried it on the Bird ??

Archived