Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird Studio w/ TV Jones Pups

JamGuy

Hi all,

I'm simmering on the idea of selling one of my strats to fund a new project. I was thinking of picking up a firebird studio and replacing the pups w/ TV Jones' (and changing the pots & wiring) I thought it might be a cool platform to try out some different pickups... has anyone tried this before or have any ideas how those pups would work in a guitar like the firebird? I know different pups sound different in different guitars and I see a lot of these in teles and LaCab's but wasn't sure how they'd sound in a mahogany bodied guitar. [flapper] GO PATRIOTS! [flapper]

Well, well, well, I'm certainly eating crow regarding my "GO PATRIOTS" banter [crying] but at least it was a close game.

Anyhow, judging from the info on the TV Jones site, they make special adapter rings and English spacing for guitars previously fitted with humbuckers or you can just order them in a regular humbucker shape (admittedly not as cool looking but oh well). I think either of these options would work for me... I know it would require some extra routing but I'm kind of tempted to add a third middle pickup, as it seems like there's plenty of room even with the pickup rings.

One thing at a time though... the little lady is dead serious about cleaning out a few guitars before another arrives. No biggie... I have a few that I'd be willing to let go of before I begin this project. I also have a few pedals to unload, an extra strat body, and some odds and end of hardware and pups I'll never use so a clean out will be fine.

Hey Rastus,

An unrelated question but I was wondering and maybe you know... do you all get the Crafted in Japan Fender guitars there in Australia or do you also get the Mexican made ones, or maybe some of each? How about other brands like Epi's, are they the same models we get here in the States? It seems like from some companies you get few options there and others you get more... [confused]

Cheers, JG

One thing at a time though... the little lady is dead serious about cleaning out a few guitars before another arrives. No biggie... I have a few that I'd be willing to let go of before I begin this project. I also have a few pedals to unload, an extra strat body, and some odds and end of hardware and pups I'll never use so a clean out will be fine.

Can you PM me a list of what's on the chopping block and prices when you get around to it please JG.

Didn't know they made adaptor rings, cool.

Can you PM me a list of what's on the chopping block and prices when you get around to it please JG

Yeah, no worries... I have a little school work to attend to this afternoon after I grab some lunch but at some point today I can probably get around to it, or tomorrow at the latest. Cheers.

Hey Jam Guy,when I was in the market for a Firebird I intended to put mini Humbuckers in it,that is until I bought my CS Firebird V,the stock pups were deadly, she sounds just like a mid 60s SG,so I held off on the mini hums.I don't know if you'll have the same good luck when you get one but mini hums and Firebirds go hand in hand.TV Jones makes great pups especially their Gretsch replacements.I don't know if they make mini hums but if they do you can rest assured that they would be top notch.TV Jones makes adapter rings to allow just about any type of pickup swap possible so I'd shoot them off an email to see what they have to say but if you get your Firebird and the pups don't cut it for you,I'd certainly go for the mini humbuckers.I've dealt with TV Jones getting replacement parts for my old Tennessean and found them to be one of the most helpful companies that I've ever dealt with.

Lots of interesting new guitars in the works at Epiphone, and it seems many are on the way out too.

I was leaning towards the Firebird Studio (in worn cherry because that's all that's available) but I saw that was supposed to be discontinued. I'm sure they'll be available for a while though before stock runs out- I can't imagine it's a super popular model for them. Then, while poking around on the Same Day Music Site, I see they're taking orders for a Pelaham Blue Epiphone Firebird... very interesting. I'd prefer a black (which I've seen is available in Europe) or sunburst (which I haven't seen at all) but pelham blue may be worth taking a look at too.

Epiphone is sure going nuts with the pelham blue guitars as of late... wonder what's up with that? I like it but it'd be cool to see some other colors show up too. I know that historically, many of the custom Fender custom colors were also available for Gibsons (with slightly different names for each color) They were all just auto paint colors after all. Anyhow... things are kind of in a holding pattern until I see what happens with "the new bird" that apparently is going to be released soon. I'm crossing my fingers for something cool color-wise...

Archived