Gibson Brands Forums

New Used Dot Deluxe Day

mrw1960

I mentioned this yesterday. I met up with the fellow and made the trade ,I set up a trade for a Epi Dot Deluxe VS for a MIM Fender Strat on CL. The guitar has no scratches, buckle rash or anything. The only blemish is tarnish on the Gold plating on the pups. I've already been buffing that off. No big deal.On the way back home I was contemplating if I was going to do the upgrades:PUPS,Wiring Harness, etc.. This Epi is a serious keeper in regards to the stock stuff. Both pups are great together.And driven, very sweet. I'm very pleased with this guitar. I might swap the pups later to StewMac Golden Age H'buckers. Anyone have any experience with those? Anyway, heres some pics of my new/used Dot Deluxe with OHSC. Happy with my Toy, Sorry for the crappy pics. Some nice Flame to the top [biggrin][biggrin]

epi007.jpg

epi005.jpg

Congrats on the Dot Michael, really looks sharp. [thumbup] Aside from the stated tarnish on the pup covers, it truly is cleaner than 90% of the new gits on the wall of my local shops.

Thanks Frank,

Its a new scene with me. Have been with Solid bodies, Full Hollowbodies. I'm just a hobbyist. The addition of a 335 style git is a new forte. I will be diggin' it. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Michael

That's a seriously sweet top, the flame work shows just fine in your pics, great swap Michael, I think you've done very well, welcome to the semi-hollow brigade, HNGD mate.

Thx Rob and Rubyred,

Its going to get the frets and fretboard cleaned and oiled today. The guy had it set-up at a local shop and they did a damn good job. It plays better than my other gits. I did a serial lookup.Its a Chinese manufacture, Qingdao Plant, 2009. I'm diggin' it. [biggrin]

Beautiful! I picked up a used Dot Deluxe a couple years ago in that same finish. I really like mine.

Your best bet for a 335 is PAF's, and Duncan makes some of the best. I'd recommend a Seth Lover set (he's the guy that invented humbuckers in the mid 1950's, and later worked closely with Seymour Duncan to replicate them). I have a pair of Seth's in a regular Dot, and they sound great. Rich vintage tones, with an open airy sound (they're unpotted). It doesn't get any better than that. Look on eBay for a used set, or a deal on new ones (make an offer below what they're asking).

Beautiful! I picked up a used Dot Deluxe a couple years ago in that same finish. I really like mine.

Your best bet for a 335 is PAF's, and Duncan makes some of the best. I'd recommend a Seth Lover set (he's the guy that invented humbuckers in the mid 1950's, and later worked closely with Seymour Duncan to replicate them). I have a pair of Seth's in a regular Dot, and they sound great. Rich vintage tones, with an open airy sound (they're unpotted). It doesn't get any better than that. Look on eBay for a used set, or a deal on new ones (make an offer below what they're asking).

Thanks...I've looked into the PAF's. Cash is a bit tight right now, but I will look into it. Thanks B)

Congrats! That's some nice flame on that one..

I've got a Dot as well and love it, but I am looking to replace the stock pups - as mine do sound muddy. (Particularly the neck pickup.) I'm in the process of checking out used Seth Lovers or Gibson 57's, or DiMarzio PAF Pros, etc. on eBay.

Dot_IMG_0696pb.jpg

I've got a Dot as well and love it, but I am looking to replace the stock pups - as mine do sound muddy. (Particularly the neck pickup.) I'm in the process of checking out used Seth Lovers or Gibson 57's, or DiMarzio PAF Pros, etc. on eBay.

Gibson '57's can be a little dark in the neck slot; I put an A5 magnet in mine to get more treble and definition. Dmz PAF's are good, but Duncans, especially Seth's, are great.

Congrats! That's some nice flame on that one..

Dot_IMG_0696pb.jpg

I'm thinking the same. The Bridge Pup on this is great. But the Neck IS muddy. I'm thinking of just swapping it out. I'm looking at all options in regards to brands,price,tone.Yours looks great. Thanks for all the input fellows! [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived