Gibson Brands Forums

Question about strings and tremotone

Stussygirl84

Hello, I bought a epiphone Wiltshire reissue w/tremotone a couple months ago used, and was wondering what brand or gauge strings would it have come with?, and or what gauge would someone suggest using. Since it has the tremotone, I don't want to pick to light a gauge, but I would like it to stay in tune as much as possible. I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks

Hi SG84, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch around here, I hope you like the place.

It would've come standard with 10-46 gauge strings, they would've been crappy no-name stuff that was factory fitted. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys 10-46 Part #2221, they're very good quality, US made and can be found fairly cheaply almost anywhere.

I'd also like to extend a Welcome to the Forum. Many of us really like pictures, although we subscribe for the reading material.. no seriously. What color is the new-to-you guitar? The Red/White Wilshires I've seen look great.

As Rastus' reply suggests, 10s are fairly normal which is often a set of .010, .013, .017, .026, .036 and .046" diameter strings. You might try several different types to see what you prefer, round wound plated, hex wound plated, flat wound plated etc.

I'm not an accomplished player, so I've just been using some inexpensive Dunlop 10s round wound nickel plated.. at 6 sets for about $25 delivered from eBay, although I've also gotten some D'Addario 9s and 10s as a result of many positive comments of them.

Thicker/heavier strings may require neck adjustments and different setups due to the greater tension of thicker strings.

I'd like to ask.. how do you like the TremOtone?

If you experience tuning instability or other issues using the trem, you may want to try a roller bridge as a future upgrade consideration. They're not particularly difficult to install, and you can find helpful suggestions from the forum members.

Bill

Hello, I bought a epiphone Wiltshire reissue w/tremotone a couple months ago used, and was wondering what brand or gauge strings would it have come with?, and or what gauge would someone suggest using. Since it has the tremotone, I don't want to pick to light a gauge, but I would like it to stay in tune as much as possible. I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks

Welcome aboard. As already mentioned, pictures of your gear are a great way to start out here. A picture is worth a thousand words, you know. As for strings, I usually start with Ernie Ball Slinkys (10s), and then experiment from there. They're easy to find, not very expensive and have a consistant build.

Allow me to be the first to give you a plus as your forum-warming present.

Welcome.

Use whatever string size you are comfortable with. If 10's feel to hard to work with go to 9's. Nothing is set in stone. There is "tradition" but use what size you like, you will like playing the instrument more if you do. JMO.

I have a Strat with a 2 point trem I use 9's on that one. I have a another Strat with a 6 screw trem that is better with 10's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! thank you all for the warm welcome! I appreciate all your responses, and im gonna go with the slinky 10's like you suggested. I've never used Ernie ball before, I have used D'addairo, in fact I think thats whats on there now, time for something new. In response to leftybill's question "how do I like the tremotone?" well I love it! its a lot of fun, definately better than using the whammy bar on my strat, it really reminds me of Neil Giraldo, and how he plays on thoes Pat Benatar songs, it has that sound....

83588_l.jpg

I use d'addario jazz light gauge (.12-.52) which also have a wound g! I tune a half step down on all strings (Eb standard) to compensate for tension. I love the fat strings, they sound a lot fuller to my ears. I would suggest finding the thickest strings you feel comfortable playing, because they will sound better.

I use d'addario jazz light gauge (.12-.52) which also have a wound g! I tune a half step down on all strings (Eb standard) to compensate for tension. I love the fat strings, they sound a lot fuller to my ears. I would suggest finding the thickest strings you feel comfortable playing, because they will sound better.

String gauge and tone is subjective; Billy Gibbons uses 8s.........He has great tone..........

Thank you for your reply Stussygirl, and I'm glad you like the tremotone. I was looking for a trem/vibrato tailpiece, and just recently got a Wilkinson Wigsby.. a sorta-kinda like a Bigsby, but definitely bigger and flashier looking.. a 1960s sort of look (to me, anyway).

Being a southpaw, some guitar models and hardware options are limited, and generally cost more, but I found a new lefty Wigsby and bought it without any specific plan of which guitar to mount it on.

I really like the Wilshire model and similarly shaped double cutaway models from the same era, and the tremotone has a neat, subtle look.. the small natural wood accent gives it some extra styling.

Bill

Hey! thank you all for the warm welcome! I appreciate all your responses, and im gonna go with the slinky 10's like you suggested. I've never used Ernie ball before, I have used D'addairo, in fact I think thats whats on there now, time for something new. In response to leftybill's question "how do I like the tremotone?" well I love it! its a lot of fun, definately better than using the whammy bar on my strat, it really reminds me of Neil Giraldo, and how he plays on thoes Pat Benatar songs, it has that sound....

Archived