Gibson Brands Forums

GOTOMSDOS are we helping ?

JuanCarlosVejar

I can see a few folk getting frustrated with gotomsdos, but to be honest, a lot of these questions come up periodically, it seems we have a concentrated burst of stuff lately. I for one have learned a detail or two I never knew, so his tireless search has been informative to me on one or two occasions.

I would say that in GAS terms the shooting in a multitude of different directions probably makes the task a bit harder overall, but, I suppose for gotomsdos it's all part of the thrill, we certainly can;t accuse him of not doing his homework.

For me buying guitar comes in two forms:

The ones you stumble on while not looking for a guitar, somehow you're convinced you need, can;t live without this guitar, etc...

The one I've decided on and hunted down, this implies you have a sense of what your after, slope dread, j-200 type, small blues box and so on... from there you're narrowing options rather than adding to them.

I must admit to being intrigued as to which way he'll jump in the end after such an exhaustive info gathering mission.

I can see a few folk getting frustrated with gotomsdos, but to be honest, a lot of these questions come up periodically, it seems we have a concentrated burst of stuff lately. I for one have learned a detail or two I never knew, so his tireless search has been informative to me on one or two occasions.

I would say that in GAS terms the shooting in a multitude of different directions probably makes the task a bit harder overall, but, I suppose for gotomsdos it's all part of the thrill, we certainly can;t accuse him of not doing his homework.

For me buying guitar comes in two forms:

The ones you stumble on while not looking for a guitar, somehow you're convinced you need, can;t live without this guitar, etc...

The one I've decided on and hunted down, this implies you have a sense of what your after, slope dread, j-200 type, small blues box and so on... from there you're narrowing options rather than adding to them.

I must admit to being intrigued as to which way he'll jump in the end after such an exhaustive info gathering mission.

PM , I'm not bothered by Gotomsdos's questions just want to know if we are helping him or not :) .

JC

PM , I'm not bothered by Gotomsdos's questions just want to know if we are helping him or not :) .

JC

Me neither, JC. As stated, I'm curious to see which way he jumps after such a fact-finding exercise.

It certainly puts my fact-finding to shame, I'm more of a tried it, loved it, bought it sort of guy, with a touch of read-up on it afterwards...... As I've said before on here, I have a Keb Mo model, I didn't even know who Keb Mo was, I didn't even know it was a guy, could have been some place in the Delta for all I knew, it was a specs purchase, the woody purchase was based on wanting a slope shoulder, seeing the decent rep of them, loving the one I bought/tried. This was bought as a general gigging guitar, so the unbound fretboard meant easier repairs later down the line and although not a 'cheap' guitar, easier to replace money-wise than some of the other more expensive guitars I have. All that despite not generally favouring artist/sig models.

I enjoy all Gotomsdos's questions and concerns. It took me over 2 years of buying an instrument I thought I wanted, only to sell it and replace with another. I actually went through 5 before finding my keeper. Then again last month I wandered into Island Guitars looking for a small body acoustic and walked out with an electric. Go figure, I never been drawn to electric guitars, but am More than happy with the purchase. Anyone ever in Honolulu I recommend Island Guitars. These guys are not pushy at all and have LOTS of knowledge ! Some nice high end stuff on their walls too. That said, there will be a time Gotomsdos makes an awesome purchase and we all get pictures.....right?

GOtmosdos ,

is this info you are recieving helping or are you just asking questions for tthe sake of asking ?

I feel like you don't know what you are looking for ...

I thought you had been satisfied by the J 35 made by Ren Ferguson .

Sorry If you're bothered by my question somewhere, but of course I'd like answear not asking itself.

I've been GASing and DIGGing Gibson acoustic guitars (Espeically Slope D) since I went to Bob Dylan's gig in Beijing and listened to his Gibson J-50 (it's a 1947 one from my digging) of the album Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. I'm intoxicated into his J-50's tone. I like his acoustic song far more than his electric rock... I think I'm an acoustic nut.

All of you on the forum are so great that almost everyone can be my teacher on Gibson acoustic knowledge or playing...Thank you all...

I suppose for gotomsdos it's all part of the thrill,

Thank you ParlourMan. Yes It is. I don't leak out almost any single detail I'm puzzled of.

we certainly can't accuse him of not doing his homework.

You know I've been nearly madly diligently doing my homework of Gibson acoustic knowledge, but I can't know everything. You know It's a bottomless cave

I enjoy all Gotomsdos's questions and concerns.

Appreciate your enjoyment..

there will be a time Gotomsdos makes an awesome purchase and we all get pictures.....right?

There has been one.

I hunted a Gibson J-35 by Ren Ferguson, ex-master luthier of Gibson, with a lot of guys help and concerns here.

Right after I received it, He left Gibson. I'm so lucky

pics yere:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77477-purchase-plan-j-45-tv-20th-anni-j-35-or-5-star-j-35-which-should-i-pick/page__st__60

Sorry If you're bothered by my question somewhere, but of course I'd like answear not asking itself.

I've been GASing and DIGGing Gibson acoustic guitars (Espeically Slope D) since I went to Bob Dylan's gig in Beijing and listened to his Gibson J-50 (it's a 1947 one from my digging) of the album Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. I'm intoxicated into his J-50's tone. I like his acoustic song far more than his electric rock... I think I'm an acoustic nut.

All of you on the forum are so great that almost everyone can be my teacher on Gibson acoustic knowledge or playing...Thank you all...

Here is a link to the king of the Gibson J50 - it may start a rush of sales of J50s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlC89NJg94w

BluesKing777.

Here is a link to the king of the Gibson J50 - it may start a rush of sales of J50s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlC89NJg94w

BluesKing777.

Thank you BluesKing777 !

But I've got a great J-35 by Ren and waiting for a J45 TV sunburst to come, so impossible to buy another J50. I'm not rich. And even though I have the fund, I'll not buy it, coz it's a modern logo J50 (I like script, Bob's is a script logo one (1947)), and more fatally it has a tri-burst pickguard which I don't like !

you didn't respond to my question are we helping you or not :) ? .

I actually have learned alot from your questions and I thank you for posting them .

I was just kinda wondering if we were helping you find the J 45 you wanted or losing you more

I'm a fan of your J 35 and you know it :D .

sadly I have been trying for a long time now to get my own J 35 5 star in lefty but Gibson I think will not make one to the same specs :(.

JC

Thank you ParlourMan. Yes It is. I don't leak out almost any single detail I'm puzzled of.

You know I've been nearly madly diligently doing my homework of Gibson acoustic knowledge, but I can't know everything. You know It's a bottomless cave

I agree with PM , thank you Gotomsdos for showing alot of us how things can be done in a different way !

you didn't respond to my question are we helping you or not :) ? .

I actually have learned alot from your questions and I thank you for posting them .

I was just kinda wondering if we were helping you find the J 45 you wanted or losing you more

I'm a fan of your J 35 and you know it :D .

sadly I have been trying for a long time now to get my own J 35 5 star in lefty but Gibson I think will not make one to the same specs :(.

JC

OIC ! Sorry for my misconception !

I'm learning a lot from you guys on the site. Actually the site is GOTOmsdos' GO TO site ! hehehe...

Lighten up ! JC... Good luck with your lefty J35.

Archived