Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing the Right Gibson Acoustic

Johnny Pop

I have my heart set on a Gibson acoustic. So far I've narrowed my choices down to the Hummingbird Pro, Hummingbird Artist, Songwriter Mahogany, or the J-45. I want one that's going to be punchy in the lows when you need it (especially when plugged in), one that's versatile for different styles of playing, and the greatest "bang for the buck" AKA "the best deal". I know the J-45 is the most expensive of the list, but I don't necessarily want to buy the most expensive one if I don't have to. I've looked at reviews and they all have great reviews and I've checked out the sounds on YouTube, but it's hard to determine sound quality by those videos. I know they share similar tonewoods, can you share any insight to what "character" I can expect from the different models? I'm leaning strongly toward the Hummingbird Pro mainly because it's cheaper and the inlays are more "decorative" than the dot inlays on the J-45. At the same time, the electronics are important as well, because I'm going to be playing it plugged in most of the time. I'm hoping to score a great quality, great sounding acoustic w/o breaking the pocketbook. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have my heart set on a Gibson acoustic. So far I've narrowed my choices down to the Hummingbird Pro, Hummingbird Artist, Songwriter Mahogany, or the J-45. I want one that's going to be punchy in the lows when you need it (especially when plugged in), one that's versatile for different styles of playing, and the greatest "bang for the buck" AKA "the best deal". I know the J-45 is the most expensive of the list, but I don't necessarily want to buy the most expensive one if I don't have to. I've looked at reviews and they all have great reviews and I've checked out the sounds on YouTube, but it's hard to determine sound quality by those videos. I know they share similar tonewoods, can you share any insight to what "character" I can expect from the different models? I'm leaning strongly toward the Hummingbird Pro mainly because it's cheaper and the inlays are more "decorative" than the dot inlays on the J-45. At the same time, the electronics are important as well, because I'm going to be playing it plugged in most of the time. I'm hoping to score a great quality, great sounding acoustic w/o breaking the pocketbook. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Actually, after looking at the prices again, they're all pretty much in the same price range. I guess my question now would be: which one of these guitars in this price range would be the best choice?

Now there's a $64 dollar question if there ever was one. A guitar is a very personal thing and only a fool would take it upon themselves to tell you which one to play. This has to be your choice. One thing I would suggest: do not choose a guitar by it's model......choose the one that is right for you, in feel, appearance and tone. That means going out and playing several, listening to what you hear. Your ears are just that - your ears - and no one can speak for what you hear with them.

I tried most of these models before buying my J45, The j45 was the first one I tried so all the others where compared to that, I actually had my heart set on a Hummingbird, but with every guitar I picked and strummed I couldnt take my eye of the J45, it just fitted me, and still does even more.

Good luck trying them all, and have fun.

Not only "play every model" but play FIVE examples of every model. I was at Guitar Center in San Jose and played every Gibson hanging on the wal...AJ's, J-45's, J-45 Vintage, Humming Birds, etc....and wouldn't buy one of them. And this was in their "soundproof" acoustic room. The only one that was remotely good was one Keb' Mo guitar and it was just OK. So don't give up on one of your choices just because you find a dud at one store....play as many as possible, including USED guitars....one will speak to you, and that will be the one you get. When I was hunting for an Eric Clapton Martin, I played 20 models, tht sounded like crap. Then I went to play one I found on Craigslist....it was 4 years old and had the original strings on....they were so coroded, I thought I was going to need a tetnus shot after playing....one strum after putting it in tune, and I KNEW. That was the one! All the others I tried were pretty "bass challenged" but this one just sang, even with the old rusted strings. So, don't rush, be patient, and hopefully you will find your right guitar!!

This question comes up a lot and my current answer is: just buy a J-45 already and get it over with! If you are going to own Gibsons you eventually will end up owning some sort of J-45 variation so why not just do it right away? They are the best bang for buck deal Gibson sells, so just buy one already and finish your peas.

Given that these are not 'budget' guitars, my advice would be to get your 'ultimate' aim (within reason) straight off, buying a 'not my dream model but I love it anyway' does not cure the desire to get the one you really wanted.... it' a gateway to the GAS syndrome if you like... buying the one you do want may cure you of that, it may not, but either way you still have the one you really wanted and the GAS symptoms should be kept at bay for quite a while....

Archived