Gibson Brands Forums

Peg head scratching

LPKEN

Ok I know nitro is soft and on a Gibson it is thin but good grief you have to be so careful it's crazy. My head stock is already scratched from string changes and I try to be so careful, anything marks up the face, I can't manage to control it. I used a polish for nitro on it but somehow it scratched again on the last string change I can't keep polishing it it will wear through. I realize the patina of use is the "in" thing but I like clean and new I would never buy an aged les Paul. So what ,do you all do our is this life with a Gibson today.

Tanks

Ken

Ok I know nitro is soft and on a Gibson it is thin but good grief you have to be so careful it's crazy. My head stock is already scratched from string changes and I try to be so careful, anything marks up the face, I can't manage to control it. I used a polish for nitro on it but somehow it scratched again on the last string change I can't keep polishing it it will wear through. I realize the patina of use is the "in" thing but I like clean and new I would never buy an aged les Paul. So what ,do you all do our is this life with a Gibson today.

Tanks

Ken

Hi Ken, Both my LPs have locking tuners, slide the string thru the peg, lock it, trim the extra string length off, and tune it. [biggrin] no scratches, no bloody finger tips [thumbup] works for me. Good Luck, TC

yep, nitro's a little delicate......

lockers are always a good idea, & if you clean/polish with any cloth besides a pure cotton cloth that's perfectly clean, you'll do more harm than good.

I just hit my headstocks w/a natural soft horse-hair brush & forget the polish....no scratches.

My current R8 without locking tuners is OK (no scratches to date) and also no issues with my old 08 Standard, that had locking tuners.

I do take my time when changing strings and trim the ends. Struggling to understand why you are having this issue!

how you changing the strings???

I line up the hole parallel with the neck, I run the string through. back it up 1 peg length and then bend the string back around and under the string then bend it up.

before i had the guitar, someone gig'd it for years, can't say there's that many scratches on the headstock from string changes.

My current R8 without locking tuners is OK (no scratches to date) and also no issues with my old 08 Standard, that had locking tuners.

I do take my time when changing strings and trim the ends. Struggling to understand why you are having this issue!

I think I am just being a big baby :-). I don't have locking tuners it's a traditional LP. I have more or less fine hair line scratches that do polish away with a none abrasive polish/wax (except for one that is stuborn) after which it looks fine, I do use a cotton cloth. I noticed that its not the strings that scratch it it's just the process of me touching it with my fingers while changing the strings. Anyway I am sure that after years of playing it will not bother me anymore :-).

Thanks for the input

Ken.

I do take my time when changing strings

That's the key . . . take your time. I've never really had any major problem with scratching the headstock on any of my guitars and I change the strings frequently. You need to just take your time like Yaff said.

Superficial scratches can easily be buffed out but get some help or advice from a luthier if you don't know how to do this.

Archived