Gibson Brands Forums

Resonator: a decision needed

Sandro

Put aside my desire for a cheap little blues box, I'm now GASsing for a resonator. After reading all the info I could find, and considering my budget I restricted the choice to a single biscuit cone. I am not sure about the body material too, but I think I'd like going for metal (brass or steel).

I like these 3, the Johnson JM-998, the Johnson JM-898 and the Regal RC-1.

The 898, steel body, has a plus (for me) in the 45mm nut. I like the 12fret out, as I don't have an acoustic guitar with that characteristic...

The 998 is shiny and I like the fact it's brass !!!

The Regal has a nice headstock (IMHO) and maybe some vibe in the name (even if I know it's made in China, probably in the same factory where the Johnson are built...)

Any advice? Anybody tried any of these boxes ?

The prices are almost identical for all the three of them, around 445€

Please don't tell me to buy a National, I can't afford it now and I can't wait. If I will like playing reso, I'll upgrade in the future ;)

112247.jpg268568.jpgRC-1.jpg

I had a regal like that. I bought it because it for some reason, the particular one was in a store and had an unusually good sound to it for such a cheap reso. Being cheap, I could mod the heck out of it. Regardless, it worked well as a reso.

If at all possible, I would try them before deciding. And, if going for a reso, I wouldn't rule anything out, such as a tri-cone or a wooden body. I have tried a lot of the cheap wooden body ones by Johnson and regal, and they really don't sound very good, but it IS possible to occasionally find one that sounds good by chance.

Same goes for the metal body ones, and the tri-cones. Most sound quite "bla", but sometimes one comes along that sounds good, especailly for a cheap one.

Of those 3, I might THINK the 12 fret one to be the most 'authentic' looking and sound more like a reso should.

I had a regal like that. I bought it because it for some reason, the particular one was in a store and had an unusually good sound to it for such a cheap reso. Being cheap, I could mod the heck out of it. Regardless, it worked well as a reso.

If at all possible, I would try them before deciding. And, if going for a reso, I wouldn't rule anything out, such as a tri-cone or a wooden body. I have tried a lot of the cheap wooden body ones by Johnson and regal, and they really don't sound very good, but it IS possible to occasionally find one that sounds good by chance.

Same goes for the metal body ones, and the tri-cones. Most sound quite "bla", but sometimes one comes along that sounds good, especailly for a cheap one.

Of those 3, I might THINK the 12 fret one to be the most 'authentic' looking and sound more like a reso should.

Thanks stein,

I was thinking the same about the 12 fret. I like even the slotted headstock and the 45mm nut. I think I'll go for that one.

I know the better strategy is try before buy, but around here I could not find anything <_<

Archived