Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Swingster

Kineman Karma

G'day Ya'll,

Well I am pretty keen on buying a full hollowbody gtar!

What are your thoughts on the EPI Swingster?

Cheers.

Have not had a chance to play the Swingster, but I've been gassing for some time about its cousin, the Emperor II Joe Pass. Looking for an excellent-condition used one for a steal. My thoughts are more along the lines of jazz and early-electric-blues playing (think TBone Walker). If yours are more towards rockabilly and/or surf, I think the S-ster would make more sense. Neither of them for shredding.

I'd think, as it's built along the same lines as the Joe Pass, that it's gonna be a solidly-made guitar. Like you, I have not been too impressed by the Gretsch and Ibanez models in the same price range, thugh I'm tempter by the Ib. AF85, which is a beautiful piece of furniture. I just don't like their necks and the sound doesn't strike me as anything special.

The Swingster in a fairly well put together guitar ... but the sound of those "Swingbuckers" just left me feeling pretty "blah".

I went with the Ibanez AFS80 and have had more fun with this guitar. $200 less and it come with the roller bridge that you will undoubtedly want to add to your Swingster if you go that rout. I do like that wire handle on the Swingster though ... might just add one to the Ibby.

IbanezAFS80TStudioShot.jpg

Yeah ... it's flashy ... but so is Rockabilly! [thumbup]

Jim

The versatility of the pickup configurations are the best thing about the Swingter to me. I've played a couple; they were solidly made, but to me they are less distinctive than either the Joe Pass or the Gretsch 5120, which they seem to be patterned after. I also prefer the regular Bigsby arm to the Chet-style wire handle.

Since I own both a Joe Pass and a Gretsch 5120, the Swingster doesn't offer much that those two don't already cover.

The Swingster in a fairly well put together guitar ... but the sound of those "Swingbuckers" just left me feeling pretty "blah".

I went with the Ibanez AFS80 and have had more fun with this guitar. $200 less and it come with the roller bridge that you will undoubtedly want to add to your Swingster if you go that rout. I do like that wire handle on the Swingster though ... might just add one to the Ibby.

IbanezAFS80TStudioShot.jpg

Yeah ... it's flashy ... but so is Rockabilly! [thumbup]

Jim

Nothing, that a good set of TV Jones Filter Trons, wouldn't cure! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I'm pretty sure the Swingster comes with the roller bridge. If you look at the webpage, click on the hardware section, and it claims roller saddles even though the specs indicate otherwise. I know the one I played at GC had roller saddles.

I really like it, but the price has got me questioning it. I think it should come with a case for that money. I want one, but may go for the ES-175 instead unless there is a great sale when I am ready to buy.....

Jeff

G'day Again,

Well I have decided. Thanks to all of you who replied.

Today I put a down payment and ordered an Epiphone Emporer Swingster with the Sunrise Orange Finish.

After test driving the Gretsch 5120 and the Swingster, I decided on the Epi.

The EPI gave so much more to offer with tonal diversity and was well constructed.

I played a Translucent Black one but didn't like the finish because it was too faded. If it was darker maybe so.

So, when I recieve the SWINGSTER I will post pic's.

Cheers Ya'll..

Well I have decided. .

Today I put a down payment and ordered an Epiphone Emporer Swingster with the Sunrise Orange Finish.

After test driving the Gretsch 5120 and the Swingster, I decided on the Epi.

Well, sorry for late answer. I hope you are happy with your Swingster, because over the last 18 months it has been my main guitar. And playing with a lead guitarist who plays a Gretsch 5120 i can only say that the Swingster is just as good. I play mostly with both pickups in series mode , and i really like the look and the function of the wiry tremolo arm. I use the tremolo a lot. This is a really good guitar and better looking than than any Gretsch or Ibanez at similar price point.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on the new guitar! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Those Swingster are nice, I know when I was guitar shopping this past summer I tried out an Epiphone Swingster, Epiphone Joe Pass, Epiphone ES-175 and a couple of Gretch 5120s and found the Swingster to be the best of the group unplugged. It just felt like it was a step above the others.

I had a Swingster for a few days. I bought a blemished one since the price was so good. Turned out it had finish cracks in the neck heel. It must have been beat up in shipping. Also, the 15th fret on the treble side was way high. So it fretted out on the couple of frets below it. I sent it back.

But on the plus side, it gets very good hollow-body tones. Much to my surprise, it copped some of the tones that my Heritage Super 400 gets. The main reasons for this I believe:

1. The solid spruce top - not common on a “cheap” guitar.

2. The position of the neck pickup. It’s all the way forward up on the end of the neck – on a 20 fret guitar just like the Super 400 (although the scale lengths are different). So the harmonic is above the middle of the neck pickup. An ES-175 for example has the neck pickup farther back. The harmonic is above the front edge of the pickup. The same relative spot as a ES335, Les Paul, etc… Pickup placement affects the tones produced.

3. It’s a well made guitar. And as with all guitars, some are just not finished to well.

Also, nice Bigsby and I’ve had quite a few. In summary, I was impressed with the tones. You could easily use it on your jazz and rockabilly gigs.

Electromatics were mentioned too. I have a G5122 “Country Gentleman”. Basically a thinner version of the G5120 mentioned. It’s a fine guitar as well but is quite different from the Swingster. I changed the pickups and put coil cut switches in mine. They’re both have great, unique tones.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes I am very happy with this baby [biggrin]

There is nothin like playing a full hollow body Epi with a nice reverb on clean channel or complimented with an Ibanez ts-9 slightly overdriven.

The biggest turn on about these guitars is when the amp and the guitar connect with overtones and slight feedback that causes the guitar to vibrate sending it into your body. WOW!! it's like the guitar is actually alive.

It amazes me as to why a hollow body does that [drool]

Any theories on the cause please explain [confused]

Yes I am very happy with this baby [biggrin]

There is nothin like playing a full hollow body Epi with a nice reverb on clean channel or complimented with an Ibanez ts-9 slightly overdriven.

The biggest turn on about these guitars is when the amp and the guitar connect with overtones and slight feedback that causes the guitar to vibrate sending it into your body. WOW!! it's like the guitar is actually alive.

It amazes me as to why a hollow body does that [drool]

Any theories on the cause please explain [confused]

Nice choice!

Hollows feedback because the sound waves from the speakers move the top of the guitar, which makes the strings vibrate and feedback. But as you've found out, you can use that to your advantage. Listen to the mid 1960's original studio version of 'Baby Please Don't Go' by the Amboy Dukes. Ted Nugent's hollowbody Byrdland roars like a lion on that song.

• 1 month later...

I have hadmeyer Wine Red Swingster since last August and it is a great sounding guitar and the build quality is excellent. I have a friend with a classic Gretsch and after playing the Swingster for a bit it blew him away. He said the neck is better and the sound of the Swingbuster pickups were awesome and he is going to pick one up.

Built on the Joe Pass Emperor II it already had a great reputation on which it is built. I bought the Joe Pass Emperor caes and it fits like a glove. The guitar does not move around at all. The interior of the case is very plush and a sight to behold.

I puts Elexar 11's on it and they sound great. Although I do prefer a wound G string on it.

To say I am extremely happy with the Swingster would be a understatement.

• 2 months later...

Glad your pleased with your Swingster, there are a lot of options out there, and the Gretsch 5120 (I think ?) pricing is not to bad so a lot of people compare those two. At the end of the day, its' what you personally like and are happy with. I tried out a Swingster in the store and got the guys there to demo it. It felt nice, really like the Chet arm, you can keep it in your hand and still play so you can give those subtle 'surf' embellishments. Anyway, for me, the price, looks and versatility were a winning combo. Enjoy, :-)

Archived