Gibson Brands Forums

"Low Tension" Acoustic strings for my J-50...

Spot

I just slapped a pair of "Plectrum" 11's on my vintage j-50. Does anybody on the forum use these?

Whilst I like the idea of less tension on my vintage Gibsons to help preserve them the 11's seem "sloppy" almost and too loose for my tastes. Maybe I need a set of 12's (individual string measurements below)

Any thougths on low tension strings?

Thomas-I.jpg

Thomas-I-1.jpg

[confused]

I just slapped a pair of "Plectrum" 11's on my vintage j-50. Does anybody on the forum use these?

Whilst I like the idea of less tension on my vintage Gibsons to help preserve them the 11's seem "sloppy" almost and too loose for my tastes. Maybe I need a set of 12's (individual string measurements below)

Any thougths on low tension strings?

Thomas-I.jpg

Thomas-I-1.jpg

[confused]

I have used'em and felt the same way about how they felt on my '66 D18. I took them off and replaced with Thom-Infeld 'Spectrum Bronze' a slightly heavier gauge. All good except I wasn't impressed with the low E string's tone, which seemed muted, so I replaced that string with a spare DR 'Rare' 6th string (.050) Oddly enough, the Spectrums sound wonderful on my old J45, top to bottom, but for 20 bucks they're too costly, and I feel the DR's are fine $8 daily use strings. Spectrum 11's are the heaviest gauge I'll use, ever hoping to keep my old bridges flat down, and postponing neck resets. Bought a lightweight 30's era L0 and pulled off the 13's, replaced with DR 'Sunbeam' 11's. In a month the neck relief actually began to straighten. Truss rod is at the end of it's adjustment zone, but the dang thing has corrected to a more than comfortable string height. Magic! Now I tune it a half step down to be safe. I sometimes get the urge to keep trying different strings, but I thought these two brands ( I've tried Martin strings too) were pretty representative of high and low priced strings. If anyone here would like to recommend another to try, I'd gladly take the referral.

Man, the guage of the bass strings in their 12s set are really heavy. I would stick with the 11s.

Good spot on that one PFox!!!! That's super large.,....... But if they are low tension,..it shouldn't really matter right?

[confused]

The Martin Lights I usual use are .54...

1.0x0.jpg

I have used'em and felt the same way about how they felt on my '66 D18. I took them off and replaced with Thom-Infeld 'Spectrum Bronze' a slightly heavier gauge. All good except I wasn't impressed with the low E string's tone, which seemed muted, so I replaced that string with a spare DR 'Rare' 6th string (.050) Oddly enough, the Spectrums sound wonderful on my old J45, top to bottom, but for 20 bucks they're too costly, and I feel the DR's are fine $8 daily use strings. Spectrum 11's are the heaviest gauge I'll use, ever hoping to keep my old bridges flat down, and postponing neck resets. Bought a lightweight 30's era L0 and pulled off the 13's, replaced with DR 'Sunbeam' 11's. In a month the neck relief actually began to straighten. Truss rod is at the end of it's adjustment zone, but the dang thing has corrected to a more than comfortable string height. Magic! Now I tune it a half step down to be safe. I sometimes get the urge to keep trying different strings, but I thought these two brands ( I've tried Martin strings too) were pretty representative of high and low priced strings. If anyone here would like to recommend another to try, I'd gladly take the referral.

Jed, these the guys you use? Pretty close gauge to the Martin 12's...

rarephos-c09bb0b8cb5c9d2ddb30e2390ae2c8ed.jpg

Jed, these the guys you use? Pretty close gauge to the Martin 12's...

rarephos-c09bb0b8cb5c9d2ddb30e2390ae2c8ed.jpg

You got it, except I use 11's. They hold their tone after they calm down, for a nice long run, too. Ebay seller 'Music 123' offers them always free ship at 7 bucks and change.

just a side point..anyone notice the difference in the high E and B with spectrums? like they're different in colour i.e. gold than the usual plain silver steel and feel a little 'coated'?

Just checked both sets mounted on my acoustics noting neither of the things you pointed out. Mine are normal, I guess.

I've been through so many brands of string now I loose count. Tried the DR's (hated them) and eventually settled on Newtone Masterclass light's. They sound pretty good all round on my J 45. Tried the Newtone heritage and they were nasty. Dead sounding from day one and not comfortable to play. My revelation came recently when stringsdirect was out of stock of the Newtones. I ended up buying a set of these: Martin_FX_Silk_Phosphor_Guitar_Strings_11_47.gif

Best decision ever. These strings are PERFECT for a J45 and offer a warmth I'm yet to see matched. Combine this with the low tension and playability and it's a winner. Oh yea, and I've had them on two weeks and no dulling as yet!

I've been through so many brands of string now I loose count. Tried the DR's (hated them) and eventually settled on Newtone Masterclass light's. They sound pretty good all round on my J 45. Tried the Newtone heritage and they were nasty. Dead sounding from day one and not comfortable to play. My revelation came recently when stringsdirect was out of stock of the Newtones. I ended up buying a set of these: Martin_FX_Silk_Phosphor_Guitar_Strings_11_47.gif

Best decision ever. These strings are PERFECT for a J45 and offer a warmth I'm yet to see matched. Combine this with the low tension and playability and it's a winner. Oh yea, and I've had them on two weeks and no dulling as yet!

Good, maybe I'll give 'em a try, especially since you weren't happy with the DR's. I'm OK w/ the T-Infelds on my J45 but if it'll save me ten bucks I'll give the Martins a shot.

where do you order those from?

Just checked both sets mounted on my acoustics noting neither of the things you pointed out. Mine are normal, I guess.

sorry i was referring to the SB112 spectrum pack - tin plated I think I read somewhere on their site?

I prefer 12-53s for my acoustics - D'Addario. 12-54s are good too.

+1 on 53 D'Adds 80/20. Just was a bit dissappointed on the 1st and 2nd strings going quicker off than the rest. So am now doing a little hybrid experiment with D'Adds 6th. 5th, 4th, 3rd +spectrum 2nd, 1st on. So far so good to me as their settling in blending fine. Madness to the theory but I think the spectrum 1st and 2nd's are different than the normal plain silvers 1st and 2nds[confused]

Man, the guage of the bass strings in their 12s set are really heavy. I would stick with the 11s.

Paul, I don't have any string tension tables handy to make a comparison. Presumably, what matters is the total tension applied when all the strings are tuned to pitch, rather than just the physical diameter of the strings.

for low tension strings try newtones

Newtone1.jpg

Newtone2.jpg

I was Soooooooo dissapointed with these Newtone Heritage Low tension strings.....

The Low "E" and "A" strings sounded almost as if some invisble force was palm muting the strings when played open??? Furthermore these two strings projected a rattling almost as though the string was damaged internally!!!! Sad because the remaining four strings sounded pretty good with an excellent balance of tension & volume. Not super loose & "Soupy" like the PLECTRUM's did...

The search continues....I've ordered a few sets on the Martin FX "Flexible Core"....

[confused]

Archived