Gibson Brands Forums

Mr Beck

jdgm

Like many players I am a great fan of Jeff Beck.

I just got the recent 2CD 'Live in Japan 1999' and it's yet another very fine set, with Jennifer Batten in the band.

So now that is 6 live recordings released since 2003!

In rough order, then:

Live in Japan 1999

Live at BB King's Blues Club 2003

Official Bootleg USA Tour 2006

Performing this week Live at Ronnie Scott's (released 2008)

Rock 'n' Roll Party honouring Les Paul (2010, released 2011)

Live and exclusive from the Grammy Museum (2010)

There is quite a lot of repetition of tunes - 5 versions of 'Brush with the Blues', 4 of 'A Day in the Life', etc. Some might reasonably feel that this many live sets with similar content is overkill, self-indulgent and so on...which it may be...but very welcome as he has had such an erratic recording career. He's still brilliant and any one of the above is worth hearing.

And this amount of activity sort of raises the question; what about Jimmy Page? What/where/when/is he/will he? Ever?

Like many players I am a great fan of Jeff Beck.

I just got the recent 2CD 'Live in Japan 1999' and it's yet another very fine set, with Jennifer Batten in the band.

So now that is 6 live recordings released since 2003!

In rough order, then:

Live in Japan 1999

Live at BB King's Blues Club 2003

Official Bootleg USA Tour 2006

Performing this week Live at Ronnie Scott's (released 2008)

Live and exclusive from the Grammy Museum (2010)

There is quite a lot of repetition of tunes - 5 versions of 'Brush with the Blues', 4 of 'A Day in the Life', etc. Some might reasonably feel that this many live sets with similar content is overkill, self-indulgent and so on...which it may be...but very welcome as he has had such an erratic recording career. He's still brilliant and any one of the above is worth hearing.

And this amount of activity sort of raises the question; what about Jimmy Page? What/where/when/is he/will he? Ever?

I saw him a couple of years ago with Clapton at the O2.. amazing.. check these vids I recorded of Jeff actually singing to one of his old hits :)

And him and Joss Stone.. awesome

Jeff Beck is one of the very few guitarists (IMHO) who have attained absolute mastery over the instrument.

Co-incidentally that's playing in the DVD drive of my laptop as I type...

The whole disc is amazing - the tour round some of his guitars is great - but the biggest surprise for me was when Brian Setzer joined them at the Iridium. What a blast they had!

P.

Yes I was amazed he sang 'Hi Ho' when I saw him in 2001.

I love the Rock 'n' Roll Party...none of them even break into a sweat except Setzer at the end. You can also try and spot the guitarists/rock stars in the audience...Steve Miller, Kirk Hammett, Bowie. And glimpses of both Page and Plant in the 'live at Ronnie Scott's' DVD. I went to that on the Monday (1st) night - the ticket was £80!!

Archived