Gibson Brands Forums

Slight buzz from tailpiece on my new ES-330L

DC42

Hello all,

Long time reader first time poster. During the first week of this new year I added an ES-330L to the stable. Purchased it for it versatility (has acoustic capabilities), ergonomics (weight), and the beautiful vintage sunburst finish. Out of the box the set up was pretty good in my opinion. I am at stay at home player who strums and picks for the fun of it. For some reason I decided to change strings a bit earlier than normal (as the stock strings had plenty of life in them)using a set of .10 gauge Vintage Gibsons. That is when I noticed a little ding and ping here and there from the tailpiece.

Long story took it to my trusted luthier who has done good work for me in the past. Just got it back the action is very nice however on the third string (G standard tuning) I am getting that little buzz from the tailpiece again while hovering around the fifth fret. Plugged in with the volume up it sounds pretty good. However when the volume is down (and I like to play a little mellow acoustic with it) I can hear and feel that buzz - ding again which is becoming annoying. It is pricey guitar and I am starting to sit on the fence regarding whether to keep it.

So it is not the electronics but the trapeze tailpiece. The string appears seated good within it. Anyone experience anything like this or have a constructive suggestion regarding if this can be resolved. It would be appreciated.

Dave

I loosed that string up and made sure the ball of the string was firmly seated into the tailpiece (and retuned). It seems better. I do tend to refer to my guitar(s) in a female gender kind of way so maybe this model is one of those sexy high maintenance types.

Reckon one might have to be a bit careful when re-stringing?

Dave

I have a 330L, and one oddball thing to watch for is the lifting of a saddle holding/adjusting screw. The 330L bridge does not have the wire retainer to keep the adjusting screws in place. I had to re-seat a couple of the saddles on mine because the screw started lifting up out of it's fully seated position.

I have a 330L, and one oddball thing to watch for is the lifting of a saddle holding/adjusting screw. The 330L bridge does not have the wire retainer to keep the adjusting screws in place. I had to re-seat a couple of the saddles on mine because the screw started lifting up out of it's fully seated position.

Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks bobouz.

I have an older 330 and a 355, and the 355 rarely gets a look in these days. I think the acoustic resonance in the big thing for me - it's a pleasure to play unplugged, where the 355 seems a bit dull and lifeless in comparison. Plugged in the 355 has a certain sound that I like, but the 330 wipes the floor with it in terms of versatility: P90s and hollow bodies are definately the way to go for me.

I also have a Gretsch that has so many hardware related buzzes and rattles it's like playing through a fuzz pedal even when it's not plugged in... all part of the character though!

Hello all,

I am getting that little buzz from the tailpiece again while hovering around the fifth fret. I can hear and feel that buzz - Anyone experience anything like this or have a constructive suggestion regarding if this can be resolved. It would be appreciated.

Dave

[scared] I've had that problem before, O:) when i had drank too much 8-[

Archived