Gibson Brands Forums

Flood/Govt. Seizure cause of Epiphone Shipping Delays?

patrick2099

I called Sweetwater today, to inquire about the availability of Epiphone Les Pauls. The sales rep told me that the floods in TN and the govt seizing wood at the Gibson factory were the causes of the delay. Is there any truth to this? I thought that Epiphones were made on China or Korea.

I called Sweetwater today, to inquire about the availability of Epiphone Les Pauls. The sales rep told me that the floods in TN and the govt seizing wood at the Gibson factory were the causes of the delay. Is there any truth to this? I thought that Epiphones were made on China or Korea.

I might believe him if he had said the floods in Thailand had caused delays, but the reasons he gave sound pretty bogus to me. I can't imagine that any of the wood seized in Tenn. would make its way onto Epiphone guitars.

Jim

Seems unlikely because as you mentioned, the wood seized was here in the US at the Gibson factory, and no wood was seized to my knowledge at the Epi factory/factories overseas. Perhaps the rep was confused about a delay in shipping/availability on Gibson Les Pauls? Before the holidays they (Epi LP's) seemed scarce as well from many major retailers... and then Epiphone had that smoking deal over the holidays which I'm sure depleted stocks further and perhaps many models were back-ordered as a result. Hard to say... but I don't think floods or Gibby's wood seizure is the reason for availability issues of Epiphone guitars. I'm no expert though... (though I play one on here sometimes [lol] )

That is what I was thinking. Had I said a Gibson Les Paul, I may have believed it. I really didn't feel like arguing with the guy though.

Maybe he is, but in all fairness, maybe he just doesn't know or has his facts mixed up. Despite Sweetwater's reputation for awesome customer service, not every person answering phone calls is an expert in everything. I worked in the Musician's Friend call center in Medford, OR before they moved and believe me, it was just a job for a lot of the people working there. Considering the variety of merchandise, and quantity those retailers sell, sales reps can't possibly know the details on every availability issue for every product they sell. I certainly didn't... my suspicion is that he just got his facts wrong. Now, having said that... I don't know the full scope of your conversation with him so I really can't say.

Anyhow, it's the only mention of it I've heard. If you're in a hurry, I saw a few nice looking Epi LP's on both the Wildwood page and at Music Zoo... they're both reputable and have great customer service as well. The honey burst at the Zoo looks beautiful! Maybe that will help... cheers.

The guy is full of crap. The TN floods were over a year and a half ago, and Gibson still cranks out almost 700 guitars a day. Oh and Epiphones are made in China, so what happens over in the Gibson building shouldn't have much, if any, effect on the shipment of Epis.

The sales rep told me that the floods in TN and the govt seizing wood at the Gibson factory were the causes of the delay

Utter nonsense.

I have dealt with Sweetwater over the years on studio equipment and they are usually pretty up front people. But this salesman is just making something up. If you want to check further just taik to a sales supervisor. Maybe you can get a discount for their salesperson lying to you. Be sure to mention that this matter had become a point of discussion on the Gibson Forum and that you would like to provide a reasonable explanation on why your guitar purchase is delayed (or you could leave it as it is with members wondering about Sweetwater).

Just a thought. Keep us updated.

The strange thing is, I let him know that I had a replacement for a defective unit on backorder from Musician's Friend. He had already told me that they couldn't beat the replacement date that MF have me. I wonder if he just assumed that since Gibson owned Epiphone, that they were all made in Nashville.

Archived