Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe - Mods a la Pete Townsend

Aoresteen

A couple of years ago I got the itch to get a Les Paul Deluxe (LPD) like the one I had in the 70's. The one with the mini-humbuckers in them. Prices were way high so I ended up getting an Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe (ELPD). Well, I like it so much that I ended up with three of them - gold top, red sparkel, and blue sparkel.

The blue sparkel LPD was a custom color made for Mars Music. I decided to do a few mods to it. Pete Townsend used LPDs in the 70's and he added a 3rd pickup to them, a DiMarzio Super Distortion. So if Pete did it, why not me?

Here's what it looked like when I got it:

1epiLPDblue.jpg

When I got the ELPD it had a couple of problems. The neck strap lock was attached by an oversized screw and I had to plug the hole with a dowel & re-drill.

2epilespauldeluxescrews.jpg

3epilespauldeluxeholeplug.jpg

Once fixed I installed Schaller strap locks:

4epilespaulwithschallerluginstalled.jpg

The 3 way switch was bad and had to be replaced (BTW the seller sent me a new one).

The truss rod had a bad rattle at the 1st fret. I fixed it with rubber cement & Naptha. I had to remove the nut and truss rod nut & washer. Was fairly easy to do.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/TrussRod/trussrod.html

Next I routed out a cavity for the center DiMarzio pup. I had to strip all the hardware off of the guitar so that the router template would lie flush on the top of the guitar.

5bluedimaziohumbuckerrouting.jpg

6routingdetail.jpg

Here are the installed pups:

7EPILPDBodycontrolsPeteT.jpg

I had to cut an opening in the pickguard for the center Dimarzio. The bridge and neck pups are Seymour Duncan replacements

And a detail shot of the controls:

8EPILPDControlsPetT.jpg

The special knobs go to 11 making the guitar even louder :)

Here she is all done:

9EpiLPDfinished.jpg

I've named her Petra Blue (Petra is the female form of Peter - a tip of the hat to Pete Townsend).

Mods:

Pickups: Neck - Seymour Duncan SM-2N

Middle - DiMarzio Dual Sound (Same a Super Distortion)

Bridge - Seymour Duncan SM-2B

Controls: 2 vol, 2 tone. Neck Vol push-pull for phase switch (B&N)

Neck Tone push-pull for neck single coil

Dimarzio center uses neck tone/vol controls as well

Bridge Tone push-pull for bridge single coil.

Bridge vol - just a plain vol pot.

3 way switch controls Bridge & Neck pups as normal.

Top toggle: DPDT - turns neck & bridge pups on/off

Center toggle: SPDT - turns Dimarzio pup on/off

Bottem toggle: SPST - Dimarzio single coil tap.

Knobs: Dimarzio blue top hats - to 11!!

Schaller straplocks. Gotoh Tuners.

And, yes, she sounds AWESOME!!!!

Cool mods, and they look to be very well executed. Though I don't think I could ever keep track of that many switches. msp_confused.gif

You're just missing a black one now...

I'm not big on black guitars. If I run across a black ELPD at the right price I'll pick it up. I did go on a long hunt for the gold top ELPD. Finally found one in Baltimore and paid more than I should have. But it's such a nice guitar and after looking for over a year I jumped on it. No mods to it :)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived