Gibson Brands Forums

Great Jobs ! you vintage J-50s did !

gotomsdos

I did like the operation video, but still didn't work.

the url for bob dylan is:

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bob+dylan+blowin&oq=bob+dylan+blowin&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=3696l11191l0l12326l22l19l2l7l0l2l966l4733l2-3.2.1.2.2l10l0

I'm curious what's wrong ?

Try it for me ?

That URL doesn't lead to a video, just search results of videos...

This is an actual video URL that would work (and a rather good video/performance at that!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOnKrq-clRc

EDIT: Looks like the forum turns a video URL (from YouTube at least) it into an embedded automatically now

No it doesn't, the above URL is youtube.com/watch?v=nOnKrq-clRc

Not the URL of that video itself but the URL shown in that demonstration video has "..search.result.." (not "..watch..").

I did the operation as that demonstration video showed. but didn't work, I guess, if the URL I get is wrong, then his should also be wrong. What happened ?

Not the URL of that video itself but the URL shown in that demonstration video has "..search.result.." (not "..watch..").

I did the operation as that demonstration video showed. but didn't work, I guess, if the URL I get is wrong, then his should also be wrong. What happened ?

use the page address insted of the url

That URL doesn't lead to a video, just search results of videos...

This is an actual video URL that would work (and a rather good video/performance at that!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOnKrq-clRc

EDIT: Looks like the forum turns a video URL (from YouTube at least) it into an embedded automatically now

Thank you ChrisA83 ! from your sig, we're Dylan commrades !

The guitar that Ralph McTell is playing is actually a 59 J-45. It has undergone many repairs and mods over the years.

Going from original sunburst to blonde was one of them. J-45 to J-50 conversion. Apparently, a lot of people did this to J-45s.

The guitar that Ralph McTell is playing is actually a 59 J-45. It has undergone many repairs and mods over the years.

Going from original sunburst to blonde was one of them. J-45 to J-50 conversion. Apparently, a lot of people did this to J-45s.

OIC !

What an expert you are ! a J45/J45 nut ?

OIC !

What an expert you are ! a J45/J45 nut ?

Yes...yes I am thank you!!!....I have been a Ralph McTell fan for close to

40 years, he explains all about his J-45 in one of his books, including

it falling out of the hold of a plane right here in Bermuda!

One of those people would be me. Mine has gone from its original '48 sunburst, to '68 Cherryburst (new top in 1968), to J-50 natural (1971), and back to '48 sunburst (2011). I know, because I've owned it the whole time.

One of those people would be me. Mine has gone from its original '48 sunburst, to '68 Cherryburst (new top in 1968), to J-50 natural (1971), and back to '48 sunburst (2011). I know, because I've owned it the whole time.

Thats a cool history - Do you have photos J45Nick?

Thats a cool history - Do you have photos J45Nick?

I don't have the short-lived cherryburst phase, but do have all the others, and will post when I get the chance.

Edit: Here they are. First here's old FON 3644-8 in the spring of 1967. And yes, that was me once upon a time, 45 years ago. I had just bought the guitar for the princely sum of $50, plus about $10-15 for the chipboard case. A friend painted the name for another $5. It was larger than expected, but I was going to be a star......NOT! Guitar was in this form from 1948 to 1968, when Gibson re-topped and returned it in that horrible '68 cherry red burst. No picture of the cherry red phase, thank God.

spring1967.jpg

Next, 3644-8 in its 1971-2011 livery. She spent 40 years as a J-50. I stripped the cherry burst carefully, then masked and sprayed the top with Deft nitrocellulose lacquer, out of spray cans! It actually came out really, really good. I call it her "Blonde on Blonde" phase. She looked pretty good for a "bottle blonde".

blondeonblonde.jpg

Finally, 3644-8 today, six months after her million-mile tune-up by Ross Teigen. Among many other things, new replica of original bridge and pickguard, and near-replica of the original sunburst, albeit with a larger amber center. That's OK. She looks a lot more like her old self. The old girl has traveled many a mile, most of them with me, over her almost 65 years. She and her owner are almost the same age, but the owner is a year or so older......

thewholething.jpg

The tale of this J-45 is legendary here, but I'm not really sure –

When and under what circumtances did the fretboard'n'headstock unfold their art nouveau ?

The tale of this J-45 is legendary here, but I'm not really sure –

When and under what circustances did the fretboard'n'headstock unfold their art nouveau ?

In about 1970 (I've lost track of the exact chronology), I met a young apprentice luthier who was also a Martin history buff. He had photographed (rather poorly) several complete Martin catalogs from the turn of the century--1902 was one of them as I recall--but had no means of printing thme (B&W). I was still a member of my university photo club, and had access to the darkroom. We bartered a trade: I printed his Martin catalogs, and he did the fretboard inlay and headstock inlay/binding.

We spent some time kicking around the general ideas of what to do. Both of us liked Gibson mandolin and L-series guitar headstock and name script details from the 30's and 40's, so between the two of us, we came up with the headstock design. Mostly him, I will say.

I've told this part of the story many times, but the headstock binding is alternating layers of ebony and ivory, scavanged from old piano keys. The abalone colors of the headstock flowerpot were chosen to make it look more like a torch than a flowerpot, with the pot done in greenish-grey, and the flowers quite reddish. The logo was originally sort of a standard reddish-green abalone. Over the years, the colors of the headstock inlay have faded dramatically, for some reason, and they only show up in the right light. That's sort of the beauty of abalone: it's different every time you look at it.

The fretboard inlays were all his design, although I provided some ideas. They were not intended to replicate any recognised guitar board inlays, but rather were meant to be fairly abstract images of motifs we liked. The third fret inlay is a fairly "standard" large snowflake. The fifth fret is a stylized flower, although it also looks like an exploding firework.

The seventh fret is slightly ominous. It's starting point was the "angel of death" motif seen on many 18th century gravestones in New England, where I lived: a reminder of the fragility of life. At its core, however, is another blooming flower. Down at the 12th fret is a single small snowflake.

We never got any further, but I sort of like the unfinished part of it: the guitar was never completed--it remains a work in progress. The young luthier--can't even remember his name--was actually a genius at inlay, but he was a lousy bone carver. He hand-carved a set of bridge pins for me (bone), but they were too inconsistent in size to work that well. I still have them, however. He also modified the 1968 adjustable rosewood saddle by putting in a bone insert, which was a signficiant improvement. I still have that in my spare parts bag, as well.

headstock.jpg

board.jpg

Archived