Gibson Brands Forums

Mail Order Glasses

TommyK

I am dismayed at the low quality of eye glasses frames available to me a the local opticians. My new frames of four months have spontaneously busted themselves. The spring loaded mechanism broke on one of the temple pieces. I didn't damage them in any way. It just went >snap< and the temple piece fell to the desk and the rest of the frame went askew. Shocked

The optician will replace the frames at half price since they are less than 6 months old. $56.00 and change. To me that's a steep price for frames only durable enough to last 4 months.

Has anyone in the United States had any experience ordering frames from on-line vendors? I'd like to save a buck wherever I can

I am dismayed at the low quality of eye glasses frames available to me a the local opticians. My new frames of four months have spontaneously busted themselves. The spring loaded mechanism broke on one of the temple pieces. I didn't damage them in any way. It just went >snap< and the temple piece fell to the desk and the rest of the frame went askew. Shocked

The optician will replace the frames at half price since they are less than 6 months old. $56.00 and change. To me that's a steep price for frames only durable enough to last 4 months.

Has anyone in the United States had any experience ordering frames from on-line vendors? I'd like to save a buck wherever I can

$56? That is cheap. My wife's new glass (frames + lenses) were around $325. Thankfully I have Cadillac insurance so they picked up more than half the price. She got her glasses through See Eye - http://www.seeeyewear.com/index.aspx . They seem pretty durable.

My friend does it. I remember he actually had to measure his face: distance between eyes, to the ears, etc. When he did that, he found an amazing deal going online for his glasses.

I get my contacts and glasses from Costco, which is excellent and very reasonable.

I'd like to know where he ordered them. I assume he is satisfied as he you didn't say he had a problem.

I'm a bit concerned about whether I'd see my new glasses once my credit card was charged. Some sites quote "As low as $5.95." Which sounds too good to be true, and probably is.

My problem is that these glasses cost me a bit over a hundred dollars and I expect more from my "C" note than 4 months before they imploded. If I had dropped, stepped upon, sat upon, or ran through the ringer washer, I'd have been upset with me. But these have never been abused and the temple piece spontaneously detached itself while I was wearing them at my desk.

My insurance pays a fixed amount for frames and lenses, which works out to about half on a $125 pair of glasses and frames. I don't go in for the latest and greatest, cutesy ones that I feel are over priced at well over $300.00 for what you get. The $300 do not appear to be any more durable than what I have, maybe less durable. I only get one pair every two years. SO.... by my math if these frames are only good for 4 months, I'll be buying about 6 more pair before my insurance will pick up the tab again. I could roll the dice, spend the $56, and maybe they will last another 18 or so months. But the next time they break I'm on my own for the whole gadilla. Being a gub'ment worker, I'm on a fixed income and I don't get the 'high wage, exorbitant pension' the media says I do. The pay and bennies are not Cadillac. Pay is Chevy, bennies are entry level Buick. My retirement is on me, like a 401K without company match, and no Social Security in my golden years. And, the future of the bennies is not assured.

Being a gub'ment worker, I'm on a fixed income and I don't get the 'high wage, exorbitant pension' the media says I do. The pay and bennies are not Cadillac. Pay is Chevy, bennies are entry level Buick. My retirement is on me, like a 401K without company match, and no Social Security in my golden years. And, the future of the bennies is not assured.

Was going to say, aren't you the parasites sucking off of us tax payers and living high on the hog?

The national debt is all your fault!

And I am the king of awesomeness, right?

you should push back on that doctor especially if you did nothing to break them! Most frames are guaranteed for a full year again breakage even if you do mishandle them, I only know that because I dropped my glasses about four years ago while going down a stairway at a ballpark and they bounced down about two floors worth of stairs losing pieces all the way down and they were still covered in full. The optician told me that about 90% of all the frames he carries had a full one year warranty.

If your not satisfied with the selection you can get frames anywhere and just have lenses made to fit. The frames I wear now though are from a high end pair of titanium Oakley sunglasses that I really liked, I asked the eye doctor if they had anything similar to those, he said not really but that he could easily put prescription lenses into those sunglass frames with no problem. I am now on my third set of lenses being put into the same frames and it's never been a issue. I like them so much I bought another set and had them swapped out for prescription safety glass lenses so that I can wear them while working on my mills and lathes without wearing additional safety glasses or goggles.

Archived