Gibson Brands Forums

band just kicked me...

Kyler Patrick

So yeah, got a call this morning from my band leader explaining how someone much better than me replaced me! [cursing] I was so sure they were my friends, but looks like fame, fans, and $$$ are more important to those guys <_<... I guess it was a good thing cause those guys were all talk no game... we've been together for almost a year and we haven't performed once. I just hate not playing in a group..... I've been thinkin bout another group, but idk any other talented musicians personally. Any ideas on what I can do?? I have to play, I really don't know much more than guitar.

So yeah, got a call this morning from my band leader explaining how someone much better than me replaced me! [cursing] I was so sure they were my friends, but looks like fame, fans, and $$$ are more important to those guys <_<... I guess it was a good thing cause those guys were all talk no game... we've been together for almost a year and we haven't performed once. I just hate not playing in a group..... I've been thinkin bout another group, but idk any other talented musicians personally. Any ideas on what I can do?? I have to play, I really don't know much more than guitar.

Kyler, have you considered taking out an ad in a local magazine, or placing ads in music stores? Might be worth a try.

Kyler, have you considered taking out an ad in a local magazine, or placing ads in music stores? Might be worth a try.

Yea that's an option, but because of my age

1) parents wont let me

2) even if they did, i could end up playing with a bunch of druggies and my parents will make me quit

sometimes it's not easy being 15 hahaha

Well, for future use:

Facebook, newspaper ad, local college music department (ad with "tear off" phone number),

local or area musician's trade journal, or newletters, as well as music store bulletin

boards, etc.

Believe me...We've all "been there, done that," if one has "played out," at all. Keep

working/practicing, leaning new things, all the time. And, add "Bass" to your instrument

list, capabilities. Good Bass players, are like good drummers, fewer and farther between,

than good/great guitar players! Good Luck, to you! [thumbup]

CB

Take a reality check....

There are always subtle signs when things are about to go south

Choice of music is central

Very rare to get total agreement on set-list

Talent and skill level are arbitrary measures....

Heading up a band requires focus and leadership

Consider going solo with or without a band

Every band break-up is a huge learning and enriching experience....

V

:-({|=

Yea that's an option, but because of my age

1) parents wont let me

2) even if they did, i could end up playing with a bunch of druggies and my parents will make me quit

sometimes it's not easy being 15 hahaha

You know, those things happen. I don't know if you that that I went to high school with many members of Tower Of Power. They were trying to get signed by Bill Graham, (I think this was 1969 or so),

and Bill told Mimi Castillo that in order for them to be signed, he's have to fire the drummer.

As I said, those things happen...the trouble is..... the drummer back then was Jack Castillo....Mimi's older brother!

Jack lives close to me still, and I speak to Mimi from time to time....and Jack is STILL bitter!

That's a shame, but I understand your parents feelings, I also feel for you too. Anyone at school like minded about playing in a band as yourself?

All i got at school is dubstep lovers. but now that you mention it, I do know someone who plays a synth. It's possible to go for a Rush kinda sound, even though it's not my favorite. That still leaves vocals, bass, drums. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will this band. It's worth a shot.

thnx [thumbup]

Take a reality check....

There are always subtle signs when things are about to go south

Choice of music is central

Very rare to get total agreement on set-list

Talent and skill level are arbitrary measures....

Heading up a band requires focus and leadership

Consider going solo with or without a band

Every band break-up is a huge learning and enriching experience....

V

:-({|=

So true. Thanks for the wisdom. I'll keep this in mind.

You know, those things happen. I don't know if you that that I went to high school with many members of Tower Of Power. They were trying to get signed by Bill Graham, (I think this was 1969 or so),

and Bill told Mimi Castillo that in order for them to be signed, he's have to fire the drummer.

As I said, those things happen...the trouble is..... the drummer back then was Jack Castillo....Mimi's older brother!

Jack lives close to me still, and I speak to Mimi from time to time....and Jack is STILL bitter!

you knew Tower of Power? [blink] In High School? You are so cool...hahaha I've heard of those guys before and listened to their stuff. Even though it's not my style I really liked it

Yeah, concentrate on being the best musician, that you can possibly be.

That way, you may end up being the one that does the "hiring and firing!" [biggrin]

And, it won't hurt you, anyway, to be as good as you possibly can. Other

musicians tend to move Toward other good/great players. And, keep

a good/positive, and friendly attitude, as well. No one wants to play

(for every long, anyway) with jerks or prima donna's.

Cheers,

CB

Yeah, concentrate on being the best musician, that you can possibly be.

That way, you may end up being the one that does the "hiring and firing!" [biggrin]

And, it won't hurt you, anyway, to be as good as you possibly can. Other

musicians tend to move Toward other good/great players. And, keep

a good/positive, and friendly attitude, as well. No one wants to play

(for every long, anyway) with jerks or prima donna's.

Cheers,

CB

So true! this is actually a very important life lesson. I'll have to remember this because I'm sure I'll face this situation sometime in the future. thank you very much!

you knew Tower of Power? [blink] In High School? You are so cool...hahaha I've heard of those guys before and listened to their stuff. Even though it's not my style I really liked it

HAHAHAHA..... THEY'RE cool...not me..... yes, I knew them back then..... Rocko and Mimi were both a year behind me at JFK High School in Fremont, CA. (Jack was in my grade).

Back then we were the "big name" and they were called "The Gothem City Crimefighters"....(it's all in the book!)

One thing you could use this down time for is to improve your chops, write and prepare for when the next opportunity comes and you'll be smoking ready to kick it in the *** plus have material to contribute all at the get go.

Try to take this as a learning experience and not let it drag you down. Bands come and go, friends or not.

HAHAHAHA..... THEY'RE cool...not me..... yes, I knew them back then..... Rocko and Mimi were both a year behind me at JFK High School in Fremont, CA. (Jack was in my grade).

Back then we were the "big name" and they were called "The Gothem City Crimefighters"....(it's all in the book!)

I NEED THIS BOOK!!!!

Guest farnsbarns

Sorry to hear this.

There is no answer for you. If you are young and can't advertise and you don't know other musicians you're pretty stuffed. Talk to as many school mates as you can and see if you can hook up with someone.

I've seen it said by jimmy vaughan that if ya can't sing you better have a van, because git players are everywhere! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so it might be a wake up call to find your vocal style!? [biggrin]

One thing you could use this down time for is to improve your chops, write and prepare for when the next opportunity comes and you'll be smoking ready to kick it in the *** plus have material to contribute all at the get go.

...........and maybe start singing yourself. It strikes me that a guitarist who sings well, and writes is always going to in more demand than your long queue of Steve Vai wannabees.

I've seen it said by jimmy vaughan that if ya can't sing you better have a van, because git players are everywhere! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so it might be a wake up call to find your vocal style!? [biggrin]

That's good- we made exactly the same point a minute apart!

I've got a drummer, a bassist, and a possible singer. We both live in VA. but from the way you described your playing, I'm much louder and higher tempo than you (but probably not much better, I'm terrible imo). Case in point, I can play Bad Brain almost perfectly at double the speed of the studio version.

Sounds like a great time for you to get a drum machine and a 4 or 8 track recorder and start making your own cd.Dont let the "better guitar player" thing get ya down,there will always be a better guitar player,ALWAYS!! If you dont have any money saved up,start hitting your parents/neighbors up for odd jobs to help build your own personal studio.Sometimes time away from stuff can make you appreciate it that much more as well as open up your eyes to different scenarios ie. jamming live vs. recording.If you feel your riffs/chops could use a little work,dig up some free stuff online,scales,modes,licks other people offer free lessons for daily.Theres always something positive to come from something negative and usually its a lesson in life.Keep your head up and your fingers loose !!!

I don't know if this does you any good, but it's me from age 15 through 34...

At 15 I was a decent trumpet player for school band. Went to another school at 16 and no music program at all back east. At 17, my senior year, we started a "big band," then most dropped out and we ended up with a core group that combined for a jazz combo and a rock combo. Same drummer, trumpet and sax, moved piano in for jazz, out for rock and added 2 guitars.

At 18 I got my first guitar and since vacations from boarding school were at the epicenter of Harvard Square folkiness, that's where I headed musically with the guitar. College did a supercharging to that perspective. 19 quit school and did increasing blues stuff, did some solo benefit gigs that included a tv spot.

20, back to college, heavy folkie in a rock environment so into a half decent rock band and a part-turning-to-full time writing job. Rock band and I separated for a number of reasons; did another rock band that wasn't as good but made more money. Dropped it when I went full time writing just before I hit 21.

21 - 26, back to folkie and "old time" during the US Bicentennial era; worked with fiddlers etc. 27-34 a couple of country bands off and on.

The reason I'm saying this is that unless you get a full time pro gig, you're going to find life dishes out lotza changes and that will change everything from the style of music you play to what kind of gigs and - yup - even what kind of relationships you have with others.

Bottom line is expect change, expect different kinds of music that will trip your trigger, expect different friends and life style. In fact, expect to see life make such major changes that you lose contact even with folks you consider friends at any given point in life.

So... don't worry about much. Keep pickin'. You don't need to go out and push for a band or whatever as long as you keep your ear to the ground and mention pickin' if you're with a bunch that seem interested. You may do rock now, but what if a girl or two get into folksinging and want a guitar picker to be involved.

Next thing you know... Hmmmmm. I dunno. But there always are options for an open minded picker, more if he/she does some vocals and more if he/she plays bass or another instrument...

m

Archived