Gibson Brands Forums

Very cool Stadium Rock BBC docu

Rabs

Oh wow! So much cool music came out of the 70's, was the time I myself was growing bored with nersry ryme's and started likeing popular music. I was 10 years old in 1973 so I missed the 60's altogether but I had older siblings so I heard about it.

It is true that the new and powerful PA gear (mainly Crown & JBL) was just hitting the open market in the early 70's. So the days of needing very large boxes just to get a tiny bit of lower frequency SPL out of a web-surrounded cone full-range speaker where gone. With the new equipment the band was now louder than the squealing girls in the stadium.

I like the video you posted but the fact that they didn't even talk about the Beatles show in 1965 at Shea stadium was a disappointment.

They had 6 or 8 inputs in there system and no monitor's, I seen an interview with the band saying they had patched the 2 vocal mic's through there Vox amp's for a primitive fold-back. The House PA was 600Watts of Altec tube amp's and 6 very large Altec 2-way cabinet's. This video has been re-mastered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2HsrxrPgs4&feature=related

Here's a pic from Led Zeppelin's 1972 tour, you can clearly see the JBL 140&130 boxes some JBL 2402 tweeters and JBL 2440&2480's (full range/mid's) the Jands 150w Power Amplifiers (they had 12 at this show) are likely behind the 140&130 bass bin's and where probably transistor amp's, I couldn't find much info on them. Transistor amps can deliver so much more power before clipping than a tube amp so they completely changed things when they came out. This system was light years ahead of the Altec stuff at Shea stadium when the Beatles hit the stage in 65.

sydney72_acoustic.jpg

I like the video you posted but the fact that they didn't even talk about the Beatles show in 1965 at Shea stadium was a disappointment.

Actually they did mention it if even briefly.. Im not sure if you saw but its actually and hour long program and the video was split into parts on youtube.. :) And yes your right when they mentioned it I wondered why they didnt begin the documentary there rather than with Led Zep.. Still awesome stuff :)

Archived