Gibson Brands Forums

I'm starting to dislike/lose interest in my "baked maple" fretboard..

dsheppard

No matter what I apply to my LP Studio 50's Tribute, the fretboard remains dry, and somewhat abrasive feeling. I'm using what I would normally use on my Flying V's ebony, and/or others with rosewood. What gives? I understand that baked maple is essentially the removal of the moisture/drying process, but damn, I can't get any oils to absorb in it whatsoever. I'm using a Dunlop formula, is there something better recommended? It feels so dry, that I'm losing interest in playing it, anymore... I apply it, and POOF, it evaporates.

[unsure]

Speaking of....I noticed my rosewood board was dry when I first got it from the dc, but the more I play it, it seems to be getting better, presumably picking up moisture from the air. Loves being out of the case [thumbup]

What do you all recommend for rosewood boards?

I'm just using ghs Fast Fret on mine. The first time I applied it, I pressed a bit harder than I usually do, so I'd get more oil on the board. Since then, it's just a light cleaning before and after I play, and it seems to be holding up nicely.

Good luck with yours.

Yeah, quitting playing it will really help with the fingerboard?! :rolleyes:](*,)

The best "oil" is your own finger oil, from playing the Hell out of it!

Be a bit patient, it will happen. The other's have given decent advice,

as well, on products, that might help. But, just play it! [tongue][biggrin]

Roughness, can be fixed, with 0000 sandpaper, or steel wool.

If, on the other hand, what you really want, is a darker fingerboard, oil will

only darken one, about 10-15%, max. Again, playing it will probably help that,

more than any added oil, other than your own finger oil.

Keep at it! [thumbup]

CB

Take it easy and don't over condition the board. You should only condition it once every 9 - 12 months.

I've always successfully darkened fretboards with Fret Doctor and it's probably the best stuff out there for a board. If I'm trying to darken the board, I apply it and let it soak in for 45 minutes, apply again, let it sit for another 45, wipe and restring. Works every time.

Take it easy and don't over condition the board. You should only condition it once every 9 - 12 months.I've always successfully darkened fretboards with Fret Doctor and it's probably the best stuff out there for a board. If I'm trying to darken the board, I apply it and let it soak in for 45 minutes, apply again, let it sit for another 45, wipe and restring. Works every time.

+1 [thumbup]

CB

I'm just using ghs Fast Fret on mine. The first time I applied it, I pressed a bit harder than I usually do, so I'd get more oil on the board. Since then, it's just a light cleaning before and after I play, and it seems to be holding up nicely.

Good luck with yours.

+1, this is also what I do with my Tribute 50s on its maple fingerboard and it works well. Indeed I am using GHS Fast Fret on all my guitars, never used oil. And all my fingerboards (rosewood, maple) look happy!

Take it easy and don't over condition the board. You should only condition it once every 9 - 12 months.

I've always successfully darkened fretboards with Fret Doctor and it's probably the best stuff out there for a board. If I'm trying to darken the board, I apply it and let it soak in for 45 minutes, apply again, let it sit for another 45, wipe and restring. Works every time.

+1

Fret Doctor blows every other oil away...

heck i didnt know you could put lemon oil or conditioner on a maple fret board. all the fret board treatments i have say not for maple fret boards.?

no just any maple fret boards. but the backed maple boards from Gibson are not covered in lacquer like the most fret boards.

Customer Server has been on here and stated its ok for Gibson baked maple fret boards and will darken them up too.

I had a 50s tribute studio 2 weeks ago and ended up taking it back, didn't like it at all and never stuck with me do the 'feel' feeling but seemed a good idea at the time in the shop. :/ but in any case I ended up getting the les Paul standard honeyburst plaintop which is a dream compared but anyway lemon oil is the best stuff for freeboard no question about it. problem is with ebony fretboards they are very dry and do not seem to allow the wood to soak in the good stuff where as a standard has rosewood and that really is a win for me.

hi!

one should not hesitate to use the oil in a first run many times - that is the way oiling works for wood. however, it does not make sense to apply a new layer until the wood has completely absorbed the previous one. if the wood no longe takes up oil, you may stop the procedure. i know that people say that one should not oil too often because wood oil is a solvent, however, I do not believe that there might be any problem.

oiling in cabinetmaking takes 5 - 6 runs, letting the oil completely dry up each time ...

yours

wolfi

I'm thinking that custard might be the best accompaniment for baked maple?

[confused]

PS If you try custard and it trashes your guitar I accept no responsibility.

I thought that was funny and cannot believe people have been slapping minus's on your posting! Ignore 'em!

Archived