Gibson Brands Forums

You guys seen the new Traditional Satin

Rabs

As usual the public are monaing about it and the prices (god forbid that Gibson try someting different).. I for one really like the satin look (and I really like the worn brown one)..

As someone else on the page spotted, on this one they say that Grade A woods used in all but the ebony one?? Surely if they are the same price they should use the same wood on all no matter what the finish? Anyway, what do you think?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Mahogany-Satin.aspx#

Image61.jpg

Image62.jpg

My only complaint is that the satin finishes are garbage. I'd pay the extra few hundred bucks for a finish that won't be stripped off in a year.

Well ive heard that alot on here about the thin finishes.. I have a DC Faded which ive had for three years and a 60s Tribute Goldtop that ive had for about 9 months now and the finishes are both still perfect...

So persoanlly I dont have a problem with them.. And I bet these new ones are better finished than both of mine..

Image62.jpg

I for one very much like the look of this.

It will be interesting to compare with the Studio Faded? Having a slightly darker Les Paul in your collection could be very desirable.

Although I have no intention of buying one (as my R8 meets my needs), I look forward to trying one when my local store has one in stock.

Nice guitar. I assume these will sell for about $2k, maybe just under. I like the satin finishes. I don't like high gloss that makes the wood look like plastic. I currently have gas, but I think it will get remedied before these hit the stores. Next weekend is Presidents Day Sales, good enough excuse for me.

The satin finishes are not for me, but if someone likes it then I'm happy for them. There's nothing wrong with Gibson trying to make their guitars to appeal to different tastes. If they keep doing the same thing over and over again or only offered a few of their guitars with only a few variations they'll be out of business.

Where I would love a satin finish is on the neck since it allows the hand to move up and down the neck very easily.

What is layered rosewood? (Fingerboard)

Yeah id never seen that before either..

I looked it up apparently what they do is get two thin layers of rosewood and glue them together with the grains facing in opposite directions.. This apparently makes for a really tough fingerboard..

theres an official Gibson page here that explains

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/FAQ-Tonewoods.aspx

This reminds me of a few years back when Harley Davidson released many of their motorcycles in a color called "denim." My father says: "When we built cars, we didn't call it denim...we called it primer 'cause we couldn't afford a nice paint job."

This is the same guitar, but with a less expensive paint job. They should call it the "spray can" traditional.

I for one very much like the look of this.

It will be interesting to compare with the Studio Faded? Having a slightly darker Les Paul in your collection could be very desirable.

Although I have no intention of buying one (as my R8 meets my needs), I look forward to trying one when my local store has one in stock.

You know I think people have the wrong idea about this.. They see Satin finish and think that means Faded where its true that the faded finish is as thin as you get.. But I dont think that will be the case with these guitars.. they have a full finish on them its just that the finish is satin rather than gloss... The only difference is the feel and look, id imagine they still have as many layers of finish as a gloss one does.. Of course I may be wrong.. Cant wait to see one in the shops.

You know I think people have the wrong idea about this.. They see Satin finish and think that means Faded where its true that the faded finish is as thin as you get.. But I dont think that will be the case with these guitars.. they have a full finish on them its just that the finish is satin rather than gloss... The only difference is the feel and look, id imagine they still have as many layers of finish as a gloss one does.. Of course I may be wrong.. Cant wait to see one in the shops.

... and all finishes available as left handed! yaay!! well done gibson!

Has anyone played one? No??? I didn't think so. How can we judge them,

without playing them? Gibson's being upfront, about it, and the fingerboard.

It's bound, and we'd never know the difference, had they not been forthcoming,

with that information. "3 Grand," is the list, NOT the selling price! ](*,)

They may not be, for everyone...but, I for one, am going to enjoy getting to

finally play one, when they come out. Might (if I have the money) even buy a

red or brown one? Who knows? Stranger things, have happened! [biggrin]

CB

Has anyone played one? No??? I didn't think so. How can we judge them,

without playing them? Gibson's being upfront, about it, and the fingerboard.

It's bound, and we'd never know the difference, had they not been forthcoming,

with that information. "3 Grand," is the list, NOT the selling price! ](*,)

They may not be, for everyone...but, I for one, am going to enjoy getting to

finally play one, when they come out. Might (if I have the money) even buy a

red or brown one? Who knows? Stranger things, have happened! [biggrin]

CB

I understand 3K is the list price. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Drink some more KoolAid for me.

It's an un-finished Les Paul Traditional. Stain finish is great for the back of the neck. For the body, it's just a way for a manufacturer to reduce the price by removing an entire step (and a long step at that) and still charging a premium for it.

The fretboard takes a lot of wear. The only reason Gibson would use a fretboard of this design, is to bypass the Indian Laws that got them in trouble in the first place. As that violation was related to the thickness of the rosewood blanks.

This is just another example of an Iconic American corporation (currently living off of their name) taking a shortcut to deliver a product, and save some $$ instead of doing the right, and desired thing to do. While passing the expense off on the consumer. I wonder how much it would actually cost Gibson to use a proper thickness rosewood blank for a 3K LIST guitar?

Last Tuesday I drove to 5 different Guitar Centers to play 7 different ES-339s'. Not a single one of them was worth the my tax return. I thought i wanted one, until I saw how they were finished.

Same thing goes for the baked maple. I didn't have any problems getting a brand new Fender US Ash strat On Friday with a BEAUTIFUL rosewood fretboard on it. Not a flaw on it. The neck is stamped 11-21-2011. I had to return 4 "FOUR" Studio Deluxe's back in August because you could see the slivers of wood the used to fill in the bad grain on the crap rosewood they tried to use on the fretboards. Even the one I stuck with had gouges all over the board from who knows what. It was shipped to me sealed from GC. Fact is, Gibson's Quality has taken a shot, and there are far too many cheerleaders on this site for it to matter.

They tried to cheat and got caught. Now they are just cutting corners on the customer's and expecting us to buy it up.

I understand 3K is the list price. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Drink some more KoolAid for me.

It's an un-finished Les Paul Traditional. Stain finish is great for the back of the neck. For the body, it's just a way for a manufacturer to reduce the price by removing an entire step (and a long step at that) and still charging a premium for it.

The fretboard takes a lot of wear. The only reason Gibson would use a fretboard of this design, is to bypass the Indian Laws that got them in trouble in the first place. As that violation was related to the thickness of the rosewood blanks.

This is just another example of an Iconic American corporation (currently living off of their name) taking a shortcut to deliver a product, and save some $$ instead of doing the right, and desired thing to do. While passing the expense off on the consumer. I wonder how much it would actually cost Gibson to use a proper thickness rosewood blank for a 3K LIST guitar?

Same thing goes for the baked maple. I didn't have any problems getting a brand new Fender US Ash strat On Friday with a BEAUTIFUL rosewood fretboard on it. Not a flaw on it. The neck is stamped 11-21-2011. I had to return 4 "FOUR" Studio Deluxe's back in August because you could see the slivers of wood the used to fill in the bad grain on the crap rosewood they tried to use on the fretboards. Even the one I stuck with had gouges all over the board from who knows what. It was shipped to me sealed from GC. Fact is, Gibson's Quality has taken a shot, and there are far too many cheerleaders on this site for it to matter.

They tried to cheat and got caught. Now they are just cutting corners on the customer's and expecting us to buy it up.

Strong words and you have some very good points. I'm not sure I agree with the perception that faded finishes are significantly over-priced though. To me, faded Studio/Special type models represent good value compared to other brands of guitar in that price bracket.

However, I do feel that Gibson do over-charge in other ways. I can accept that having full nitro costs extra because of the time and effort involved- hence why a full gloss studio costs £400 more than a faded version (£1,000 vs £600.) What I can't understand is why a bit of plastic binding and a few inlays costs a further £600/700 on top of the price of the fully finised studio i.e. £1,600/1,700 vs. £1,000.

I guess we'll have to see what price these faded Traditionals come in to the stores at.

I guess we'll have to see what price these faded Traditionals come in to the stores at.

I think you guys are missing the point here.. Where does it say Faded??

Satin does not equal faded..

These guitars will have a full coat unlike the Studios that are faded and have a thin coat... The only difference between this and the normal Traditional is the texture of the finish, its satin rather than gloss..

Last Tuesday I drove to 5 different Guitar Centers to play 7 different ES-339s'. Not a single one of them was worth the my tax return. I thought i wanted one, until I saw how they were finished.

You have an unusual amount of Guitar Centers in your area to visit 5 of them in one day.

What was wrong with the baked maple? I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm simply interesed to hear your experience with them.

We can only speak from our own experiences. I've recently bought two Gibsons: SG Standard, Les Paul Classic Custom. Both guitars were perfect in every way right out of the box.

You have an unusual amount of Guitar Centers in your area to visit 5 of them in one day.

What was wrong with the baked maple? I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm simply interesed to hear your experience with them.

/quote]

I live in the Chicago area, so 5 is not a lot.

The baked maple fretboards feel dry, no matter what you do to them.

I think you guys are missing the point here.. Where does it say Faded??

Satin does not equal faded..

These guitars will have a full coat unlike the Studios that are faded and have a thin coat... The only difference between this and the normal Traditional is the texture of the finish, its satin rather than gloss..

I'd be really grateful if you could explain to me how the "Gibson Les Paul Junior Faded" comes in three satin finishes:-

-Satin Vintage Burst

-Satin White

-Satin Cherry

Here's the link:-

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Jr-Faded.aspx

I'd be really grateful if you could explain to me how the "Gibson Les Paul Junior Faded" comes in three satin finishes:-

-Satin Vintage Burst

-Satin White

-Satin Cherry

Here's the link:-

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Jr-Faded.aspx

Well it says it in the title.. Les Paul Junior FADED.. so its a faded guitar.. this is called the Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin, it doesnt mention faded anywhere... Yes the faded do have a satin finish, but the satin finish on the new one is not faded

Hence my statement just cos its a satin finish, doesnt make it a faded one.

Does that make sense?

Well it says it in the title.. Les Paul Junior FADED.. so its a faded guitar.. this is called the Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin, it doesnt mention faded anywhere... Yes the faded do have a satin finish, but the satin finish on the new one is not faded

Hence my statement just cos its a satin finish, doesnt make it a faded one.

Does that make sense?

I was always under the impression that "Satin" and "Faded" are one and the same: inter-changable terms as is "Worn".

Here's a quote from the SG Special Faded page:

"To top it all off, it has a no-nonsense appearance that countless guitarists prefer, and its genuine nitrocellulose satin finish sports the worn look that Gibson's Faded series is known for."

which can be found here:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Faded.aspx

My impression from your above posts is that you see "Satin" and "Faded" as being different in some way. Am I reading what you're saying correctly?

Archived