Gibson Brands Forums

What model should Epiphone bring out?

BurntGlory

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Semi-hollow, deffinately semi-hollow. I do like the sheraton but to be honest have heard the frequensator tailpiece is an inferior piece of hardware. I haven't played one but have heard that it was originally designed for jazz in mind as it reduces bass and that it makes bending strings more difficult. Obviously an easy solution would be a stopbar tailpeice but since its unfortunately more likely to get a vintage guitar then one built to the best specs available 50 years latter i'm going to say a 60's sorrento equipped with two mini-humbuckers, solely because it has a trapieze tailpeice which I am more familiar with, and if I'm wrong about the frequensator tailpiece, please let me know. Thanks.

Wow--where do I start? They did some really interesting models in the '60's that had no real equivalent in the Gibson line. Let's see--the three-pickup thin-bodied Emperor like Carl Perkins played with Johnny Cash--I'd love to see them bring that back. Somebody already mentioned the Sorrento, and they did some a few years back, but this time, how about mini-humbuckers and period-correct finishes? Green sunburst would be a good start...then there's the early-'60's Crestwood with the symmetrical cutaways and clear pickguards--the Wilshire 12-string would be cool too. And the Excellente acoustic...oh, heck, just reissue most of the '60's line! Although I don't think there'd be much of a market for the Professional, with the amp controls built into the guitar, or the Al Caiola with all those little "Tonexpressor" switches--Okay, Epiphone, you don't have to reissue those!

Archived