Gibson Brands Forums

What model should Epiphone bring out?

BurntGlory

Semi-hollow, deffinately semi-hollow. I do like the sheraton but to be honest have heard the frequensator tailpiece is an inferior piece of hardware. I haven't played one but have heard that it was originally designed for jazz in mind as it reduces bass and that it makes bending strings more difficult. Obviously an easy solution would be a stopbar tailpeice but since its unfortunately more likely to get a vintage guitar then one built to the best specs available 50 years latter i'm going to say a 60's sorrento equipped with two mini-humbuckers, solely because it has a trapieze tailpeice which I am more familiar with, and if I'm wrong about the frequensator tailpiece, please let me know. Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with a frequensator tailpiece. I certainly don't find that it either reduces bass or makes bends harder. Otis Rush's freaky-satyr equipped Riviera sounds okay to me here:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy with reissues of any of Epiphones 50s or 60s models, Emporer, Sheraton, Crestwood deluxe etc.

And in some colours other than cherry or wine, Epi's sunburst circa 60s is the nicest there is.

No more les paul or sg style guitars please, let Gibson do the Gibsons.

I've only seen one of these in my life. And I never saw the amp that went with it. (Epiphone Professional Guitar and Amp, 1963)

Epiphone_professional_1963_top_am-_detail_1.jpg

Well, there's a reason for that! They weren't successful, at all. So, not that many were built.

They might(?) have (somewhat) a "Cool" factor, now...but, not back then. Too many switches, you

had to buy the amp, to utilize all the features, and it was one of those things that looked good

on paper, but reality proved otherwise. I seriously doubt Epi will repeat that disaster. [scared]

Besides, I've always hated that big, ugly, pickguard, hiding that wonderful classic guitar shape. Much Preferred the Riviera!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I've only seen one of these in my life. And I never saw the amp that went with it. (Epiphone Professional Guitar and Amp, 1963)

I saw one of them demo:ed in a frettedamericana video. I don't think they had the amp though but the guitar sounded quite good and versatile. I like em'!

Well, there's a reason for that! They weren't successful, at all. So, not that many were built.

They might(?) have (somewhat) a "Cool" factor, now...but, not back then. Too many switches, you

had to buy the amp, to utilize all the features, and it was one of those things that looked good

on paper, but reality proved otherwise. I seriously doubt Epi will repeat that disaster. [scared]

Besides, I've always hated that big, ugly, pickguard, hiding that wonderful classic guitar shape. Much Preferred the Riviera!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

It's funny how Gibson would repeat that disaster less than 10 years later with the Professional and Recording versions of the LP, the LP Recording was reputed to be Les' favourite model of LP.

It's funny how Gibson would repeat that disaster less than 10 years later with the Professional and Recording versions of the LP, the LP Recording was reputed to be Les' favorite model of LP.

Yeah, well...??? Anyway, I wasn't trying to step on your toes, RaSTuS. Just stating (sales) facts,

and personal opinion, regarding that particular model. And...Unlike you, and other's, I've just never

"fancied" it. "C'est La Vie!" [biggrin]

CB

There should be laws against hiding f-holes! ......with severe punishments doled out for offenders! [biggrin]

Yeah, well...??? Anyway, I wasn't trying to step on your toes, RaSTuS. Just stating (sales) facts,

and personal opinion, regarding that particular model. And...Unlike you, and other's, I've just never

"fancied" it. "C'est La Vie!" [biggrin]

CB

LOL, my toes are fine Charlie, I'm a weird bird, the more unpopular something is the more likely I am to like it, I like to buck the trend I suppose.

CB

I think if they do a remake of this they should rename it the STRANGE BIRD!! [flapper]

Like the one with block inlays and a trapeze tailpiece!

I'd love to see a '52 Gold Top LP with a trapeze tailpiece too! Especially since it's the 60th anniversary.

Have you ever played a trapeze model? I used to own an early 1953 Gibson Gold Top built prior to the changeover to stop tail and the trapeze and shallow neck angle really hampered modern playing. There's a reason that trapeze didn't hang around (get it - trapeze, hang around - HA!) for long.

Be nice if Epi could come up with one that echoed that cosmetically, but without the playability compromises.

Have you ever played a trapeze model? I used to own an early 1953 Gibson Gold Top built prior to the changeover to stop tail and the trapeze and shallow neck angle really hampered modern playing. There's a reason that trapeze didn't hang around (get it - trapeze, hang around - HA!) for long.

Be nice if Epi could come up with one that echoed that cosmetically, but without the playability compromises.

Agreed. Gibson did that on a '52 reissue, fixed it so it actually had the strinsg going over the top, like Les Paul intended, instead of under.

Id be happy with any new Epiphone with a 59 shaped thru neck or at least a long tenion. Either a semi hollow or LP...I can dream cant I?..lol...with Gibson P90 pickups. Something along the vane of the Epi JBLP. Higher end Epi's that mix the MIC affordability with kick butt USA made Gibson pickups.

It's funny how Gibson would repeat that disaster less than 10 years later with the Professional and Recording versions of the LP, the LP Recording was reputed to be Les' favourite model of LP.

Actually, I like the LP Recording--I used to have one. Once I figured out what all the switches and knobs did (and it took me a while--I got it used and didn't have an owner's manual), I was able to get some great tones out of it, including a bridge-pickup tone very much like a Telecaster.

Another model I'd like to see them reissue is the recent Zephyr Blues Deluxe, basically Epi's version of a Gibson ES-5--a thin-bodied version would be cool. Although that would be pretty close to the Riviera P93...

Archived