Gibson Brands Forums

Strings buzzing at the nut

Shadowman

Hey guys , I got some buzzzing at the nut. I check the tuning and it was off but it did not solve the problem. Second question......It seems the guitar is not staying in tune well , all strings a little off evrytime I play it I seem to have to keep checking the tuning. Need help please , Thanx in advance with any help [confused]

1st get a new set of strings. Then get a tube of chapstick. Before you string up real tight apply the chapstick to the grooves in the nut. Use a toothpick to apply the chapstick.

You can try it now and see if the buzzing stops or is reduced. You may have had the guitar for a couple of months but those strings can be a lot older. Look at the serial number the first four numbers will tell you the year then the month it was made. That's how old those strings are.

I would recommend to swap the nut to a Graph Tech TUSQ XL about $7-10 bucks. You could shim it a tad higher if the buzz is noticeable playing open strings, and you will get some better tone overall, and you won't have to mess with keeping it lubed. I've swapped the nuts of all my gits with these. Big difference compared to the crappy plastic nuts.

First, those strings were no good the day you brought it home, by now their garbage and you need a new set.

Second, you need to do the simple test for nut slot height - fret the string in question at the third (so the string is touching the second and third frets) and check to see if there's space between between the bottom of the string and the top of the first fret.

Any space over the thickness of a sheet of paper means that with the correct neck relief it should play without buzz caused by the nut slot height.

Best suggestion yet is a new Tusq nut installed per the above test...

It just started , played really well out of the box.

That is an indication of a seasonal change.

Living in Michigan and having similar conditions I have to tweak my setup about twice a year on all my guitars.

Humidity, temperature changes and overall seasonal changes.

Instead of me multi quoting everyone I'll just say:

All of the advise above is very good.

This is the reason I learned to do my own setups.

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

Good luck on the new nut....If you have any questions we're here for you.

You may find this of some interest:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/81967-making-a-new-nut/

Willy

The most complete info wrt guitar nuts, that I've found online is probably everything one needs to know about nut shape, fit and troubleshooting, in a tutorial-type format which starts here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts1.html

One of the more important points made in the above info, is that the nut slots should widen slightly and be gently curved toward the tuning pegs on the headstock side.. which isn't how most standard packaged nut products are shaped, as far as I've seen.

The Index page link at the FRETS.COM site also has troubleshooting info regarding various sources of buzzing and other abnormal guitar noises.

Bill

Hey guys , I got some buzzzing at the nut. I check the tuning and it was off but it did not solve the problem. Second question......It seems the guitar is not staying in tune well , all strings a little off evrytime I play it I seem to have to keep checking the tuning. Need help please , Thanx in advance with any help [confused]

It may have to do with the humidity level, or lack thereof, in your home. Most likely dry conditions have flexed your neck. You may need to put a bit of relief in the neck. WARNING. - do not turn the adjusting nut very much. Small adjustments are preferred 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. If a lot of resistance is felt STOP, let a qualified Technician handle it. You can strip the nut if too much force is used.

I have a Strat that I bought off a guy that had the truss rod completely broke at the base of the neck. He had adjusted it himself. You could shoot arrows with it. He had also fixed the bridge from moving by screwing all 6 screws on the bridge down tight. The back of the bridge was about 1/2 inch up in the air. I did not pay a bunch for this animal.

Just try to make the adjustment yourself, but if it gets stubborn seek a pro's help.

If you go to the local guy, and he adjusts anything, ask him if you can watch him do it so you've got an idea of what to look for if it happens again.

All he can do is say no, but if he lets you watch you'll get more than $10 worth of info.

Good luck [thumbup] .

If you go to the local guy, and he adjusts anything, ask him if you can watch him do it so you've got an idea of what to look for if it happens again.

All he can do is say no, but if he lets you watch you'll get more than $10 worth of info.

Good luck [thumbup] .

Excellent advice.

There is a quick way to check the nut height.

1. Capo in between the 2nd & 3rd frets.

2. Tap the string over the 1st fret with your finger, to see how much space there is in between the bottom of the string, and the top of the fret.

There should be just a hair of room, no more than a playing card.

If the string touches, the nut slot has been cut too low.

If the height looks good, the buzz is probably caused by neck relief, or having the bridge too low.

Archived