Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic Custom?

rainbowdemon427

Just spotted the Les Paul Classic Custom range. The pricing looks very good, and they're a good deal cheaper than the Les Paul Standard '08 or Traditional, despite having the split-diamond headstock inlay, and custom-style big, square fretboard inlays.

So, why the big price difference? Seems to me that the pricing should be the other way round?

Just spotted the Les Paul Classic Custom range. The pricing looks very good, and they're a good deal cheaper than the Les Paul Standard '08 or Traditional, despite having the split-diamond headstock inlay, and custom-style big, square fretboard inlays.

So, why the big price difference? Seems to me that the pricing should be the other way round?

The Les Paul Classic Custom has the new baked maple fretboard. Is this enough to justifiy the price difference? Perhaps, or Gibson decided to make the price more attractive to encourge buyers to try a LP guitar with the new fretboard.

This guitar is also made by Gibson U.S.A., and not the Gibson Custom Shop.

I have one of the LP Classic Custom guitars, and I LOVE IT! Everything about this guitar has exceed my expectations. [thumbup]

IMG_0590.jpg

The fact that it's production rather than custom shop explains the drop from a regular custom but I'll be damned if I know why a Standard or a Traditional is more expensive. Perhaps those two models are overpriced!

The fact that it's production rather than custom shop explains the drop from a regular custom but I'll be damned if I know why a Standard or a Traditional is more expensive. Perhaps those two models are overpriced!

Shhhh, Alan...dont' give Gibson any ideas, regarding price hikes, ok?! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I generally pass over the new models Gibson puts out and stick to the classics, but I played one of these a few weeks ago at the local Sam Ash and I must say I was pretty impressed. Good looking, nice sounding guitar.

Ok, well I went to the shop, and tried a wine red Classic Custom.

I didn't like it. It felt......cheap? I can't really explain why unless you count the fact that when I turned it down, the treble volume went back up to level 10 again as it neared zero. The baked maple fretboard that everyone's been moaning about I thought felt OK, but it was WAY too light in colour. It didn't LOOK right. And overall the finish was not good, in my opinion.

To compare I tried a brand new sunburst Les Paul Standard Traditional. The pickup selector switch was sooo stiff to get out of the treble position, I couldn't get it to the mid position, it went straight into rhythm. Again, I thought the finish was not what it should have been.

Yes, the shop should have picked up on the faults, but Gibson should not be letting guitars out of the door like in the first place. Did the QC guy have a few too many Buds the night before they went out? Come on guys, you're supposed to be the best, aren't you?

Despite being a lifelong Gibson fanatic, I tried a Yamaha SG3000 in the same shop whilst waiting. I'm very sorry to say that I thought it was the best guitar I've ever tried. Which is precisely what every Gibson should be like, in my opinion.

im interested in these also. i just sold my 08 lp standard. so fender have been doing maple necks for decades, im pretty sure these necks will be ok, but will they go black with grime over the years, like some fender necks have, thats my main concern.

According to Gibson the wood has no finish on it. Some folks have said they've applied oil to the board and it got very dark, some said it made only a little difference in the color.

Ok, well I went to the shop, and tried a wine red Classic Custom.

I didn't like it. It felt......cheap? I can't really explain why unless you count the fact that when I turned it down, the treble volume went back up to level 10 again as it neared zero. The baked maple fretboard that everyone's been moaning about I thought felt OK, but it was WAY too light in colour. It didn't LOOK right. And overall the finish was not good, in my opinion.

To compare I tried a brand new sunburst Les Paul Standard Traditional. The pickup selector switch was sooo stiff to get out of the treble position, I couldn't get it to the mid position, it went straight into rhythm. Again, I thought the finish was not what it should have been.

Yes, the shop should have picked up on the faults, but Gibson should not be letting guitars out of the door like in the first place. Did the QC guy have a few too many Buds the night before they went out? Come on guys, you're supposed to be the best, aren't you?

Despite being a lifelong Gibson fanatic, I tried a Yamaha SG3000 in the same shop whilst waiting. I'm very sorry to say that I thought it was the best guitar I've ever tried. Which is precisely what every Gibson should be like, in my opinion.

That's too bad. Not only should those issues have been caught before leaving the shop, but you have to wonder is anyone at the store even playing these things even just a little, even to keep it tuned up? One would think that they would at least play the guitar just a bit to make sure it's working/playing as it should and looks decent if it's going to be out on the floor.

I've always wondered why Gibson left the pic they did on their web site with these guitars having a very light colored fretboard. The ones I've seen have all been similer in color to rosewood. Was the color of the fretboard on the guitar you tried more like the ones posted on Gibson's web site? Or was it colored more like mine in the pic below:

IMG_0596.jpg

It was a very light brown colour indeed. Not like pale, buff-coloured maple, almost like a beech, or very light oak. So yes, it was very much like the Gibson pictures. I realise it's subjective, but it didn't compliment the guitar's appearance at all in my opinion. [thumbdn]

Your fretboard looks much more like rosewood to me, and suits better. [thumbup]

It was a very light brown colour indeed. Not like pale, buff-coloured maple, almost like a beech, or very light oak. So yes, it was very much like the Gibson pictures. I realise it's subjective, but it didn't compliment the guitar's appearance at all in my opinion. [thumbdn]

Your fretboard looks much more like rosewood to me, and suits better. [thumbup]

Thanks!

Yeah, I was not too fond of the very light coloring of the fretboards in the pics Gibson had on its web site either. I prefer a dark color as well. I thought it was rather stange that as many of these guitars that I've seen in person and pics people have posted they've all been the same color as mine, and I've never seen one where the fretboard is light like it is on Gibson's web site.

Tried out a black one at GC yesterday. Love the look of the wine red version in the pics, but they didn't have one in the store to try.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty darn heavy. Fit and finish seemed OK overall (although I didn't plug it in). I think the set-up was off a bit, but I think once it was set up properly it would play nicely.

• 2 years later...

Ultimate craigslist find. I thought I would never get a chance to own one. The guy I bought it from got it in 2012 and kept it in the case. No fret wear, no dings, no scratches, absolutely mint and it plays like butter! 2012 LP CC, yup, those were the days when Gibson used to make them the right way. Properly aligned tuning pegs, well finished binding with nibs and all. We are going to miss those days for sure. Struck gold on this one!

post-62813-088440200 1415220854_thumb.jpg

post-62813-000982500 1415220884_thumb.jpg

post-62813-037169400 1415220899_thumb.jpg

post-62813-085302100 1415221082_thumb.jpg

Archived