Gibson Brands Forums

Just curious.

Buxom

How often do you guys give your main axes a good cleaning and how you go about doing it?

I usually start the clean when dust builds up in the bridge and do a more thorough clean when I change strings.

Personally, I use Pawsafe for the body and neck and a dry dusting cloth for buffing. For the metal parts I use dry Q-tips and a dry dusting cloth as well. Sometimes I use compressed air in a can to force out some of the dirt and grime. Whenever I change strings, I run Q-tips along the edges of the fret wire until the grime is gone. I've noticed it helps prevent that corrosive metal-ish smell from coming sooner.

Just something I wanted to post for some nice tips and such.

Not very often.

But when I do I use lighter fluid over the entire guitar.

A soft toothbrush for the board, then condition the board.

Wipe down with a soft white cotton cloth.

Maybe and I mean "maybe" once a year on my main giggers.

I do wipe the necks and strings down every day.

I do give them a wipe over when ive been playing for while just to get rid of any deposits, guitar polish and a microfibre cloth, clean the stings neck body etc then they go back on wall hangers but sometimes I just get lot down and give then all a good clean but thats a nights work because I have 10,new strings, lemon oil the works. They are very much on show so I do like to keep them looking clean.Ive never been one for putting guitars in cases as all my guitars have been on wall hangers for the last 15 years. I only use a case if there being transported.There just to nice to be out of sight plus I just grab one of the wall and away I go. \:D/

I use Pledge furniture polish and paper towels to make my babies shine. Sometimes I use Q tips for the small stuff.

Tele, Mustang, Jaguar, and jazzmaster bridges seem to be the hardest, because their tight nit places where the strings go through the vibrado or trebalo.

Tune-o-matic bridges are pretty easy, I don't have much problem with them.

A regular strat bridge is pretty simple as well.

I think Pledge is fine with poly finishes but I hear that it may get gummy with sweat on nitro finishes. I could be wrong but I don't use it for my nitro finished guitars.

I use lemon oil every time I change the frets and I use fast fret probably once every 2 or 3 months. The fast fret definitely stops me needing to change my strings as often as I used to before using it. I clean the body of the guitar around once every 2 or 3 weeks

Ummmmm... My new guitar (almost a year old now), I will give it a good going over when it start's to get smudgy looking. Once a every 2 months or so Id say, I do wipe off the string's after every playing, like krock said, applying some Fast Fret after wiping the string's I do most every time but not always. Fast Fret keeps the strings in good pitch/shape longer I've found.

Just every-day ordinary guitar polish is what I use to clean it with. I do have some secret procedures I follow when I change string's... Well it's not top secret but I don't know to many people who do it so it's just some thing I do different I guess.

My 1990's Ibanez SA 240 has a natural/mat finish on the body, it's an old & busted axe so I don't do much cleaning to it any way's...besides the string's that is.

Once the string's get to the point that they don't pitch correctly I may not even wipe them down and will not waist Fast Fret on them until I restring it with a fresh set.

I gave them all a little polishing last Friday with Gibson's pump polish. This happens maybe twice a year.

At string changes if the fretboard is a little dry, I will oil them and always put a drop of liquid graphite at the nut and bridge contact points. Maintaining humididty is always a challenge as the building where I keep my guitars is heated with electricity and wood. Summer time the opposite. Air conditioned which helps remove excess humidity.

I manage to keep a constant around 40 - 45 percent.

Dave

Archived