Epiphone Genesis Reissue Review & Demo

brianh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, I just heard about this reissue yesterday and created an account to post about it. I always loved the look of the Genesis, and really I think it's exactly what I want out of a guitar. I've been on the hunt for a double cut with coil tapping capabilities (with the controls out of the way of the strings!! It's a pet peeve of mine), and the Genesis Reissue is looking like it fits the bill perfectly--and at the suggested price point I'm pretty giddy about it.

Does anyone on this board have more info about the release? I pretty much have to have one. When can I get my hands on it, and do I need to get my name on a pre-order list? I see Dawson's UK is taking pre-orders, but I'd rather not ship internationally if I don't have to.

Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

You can add me to the "Must have one" list as well. I sorely miss my original black cherry unit. Of all the guitars I've had pass through my hands, that one was one of the most memorable. I'll certainly be having an eye out for this model. Might even inquire of a few local dealers to see if any news is forthcoming.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hola..! en el año 1980 compré una Epiphone Genesis Custom black finish (año 1979) con etiquetas que indicaban su origen en Japón. Ya la he vendido hace tiempo. Lo que más me llama la atención de esa Genesis que tuve es que el mango (neck) era de arce laminado de 5 piezas..! al estilo de las archtop Epiphone vintage y algunas Gibson de la época como la Gibson L5S. Debido al uso y abuso típico de mi edad en ese entonces, parte del acabado sobre el clavijero en su parte superior se había salido lo que dejó a la vista las 5 piezas, 2 de las cuales eran de madera más obscura. Clavijero y mango eran continuos, no había uniones de ningún tipo. La guitarra fue comprada y vendida en la ciudad de Mar del Plata, Argentina, en Casa Daiam, Muchas Genesis se vendieron por años en Argentina. He visto Genesis Custom anteriores a la mía, de superior acabado y maderas con otros logos de Epiphone, seguramente parte de las primeras japonesas. Ojalá pudiera fotografiar alguna de ellas si las encuentro. Jamás he visto datos de que existan Epiphone Genesis con estas características. Saludos.

hello ..! in 1980 bought a Epiphone Genesis Custom black finish (1979) with labels indicating its origin in Japan. I've already sold a while. What most strikes me that Genesis I had is that the neck was laminated 5 piece of maple and other wood..! like the style of the vintage Epiphone archtop, Gibson and some of the time as the Gibson L5S. Due to the use and abuse typical of my age at the time, part of the finish on the back of the headstock (at the top) left which had left the sight of five pieces, two of which were darker wood. Headstock and neck were continuous, no joints of any kind. The guitar was bought and sold in the city of Mar del Plata, Argentina, in Daiam House, Genesis were sold for years in Argentina. I saw Genesis Custom's before mine, with superior finish and wood top in the sunburst model with other Epiphone logos, probably part of the first Japanese prototypes. I wish I could photograph some of them if I find them. I've never seen evidence that there Epiphone Genesis with these features. (Excuseme for the google translator).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw one ebay seller with the new Genesis.... odd though, $499 and NO WARRANTY. Suddenly.... they're all GONE so methinks something was fishy. Meanwhile... I ordered mine today through Guitar Center... had them ship it directly to my local store in Ft. Myers FL. Should arrive next week sometime. Though my original was black cherry back in the day... I opted for the more traditional sunburst this time.

I've always had very good luck with any epiphone I've purchased. Hopefully, this one will not disappoint. Will post back imprssions on arrival.

later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

Genesis arrived today. Initial impression out of the box at the store... everyone wanted to fuss with it as it was a previously unseen item. "What a badass Epiphone" was the comment from the store associate.... I tend to agree.

After getting her home, initial impressions on close inspection is it's pretty much spotless. Very well made, attention to all the details. I have to agree with everything Brian has said about the instrument he test drove.

The downer is the strings.... what on earth ARE they that they literally turn my fingers BLACK for cryin' out loud.... I'll have to wipe them down with alcohol or something.... it can't hurt... at least 'til I can re-string it.

That done, the range of tones is downright amazing. Couldn't be happier with the P'ups in this thing. The push-pull coil splitters are WILD! Speed knobs are almost viscous they're so smooth and the Grover tuners... well, they speak for themselves to be sure. As mentioned this guitar is lighter than the original I owned in 1987... yet the sustain is amazing... even with the questionable strings they seem to just ring on and on... All VERY good things... especially the weight. It feels exactly right for a guitar of this size and style.

Tweeked the intonation a bit and it dialed in nicely. Have not adjusted the action at all as it seems pretty much about where I would want it. We shall see once the new strings are on.. then I 'll play with it as required.

I would recommend this to anyone that's at all interested.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

Tweeked the intonation a bit and it dialed in nicely. Have not adjusted the action at all as it seems pretty much about where I would want it. We shall see once the new strings are on.. then I 'll play with it as required.

I would recommend this to anyone that's at all interested.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

Good deal Larry and congrats. You're the first person I've heard whose received part of the production shipment so glad to hear they're as good as the prototype. The black fingers is due to fretboard dye, BTW. When you replace the stock strings, wipe it down thoroughly with Naptha or fretboard cleaner. That'll get 90% of it off, the rest will settle in after a few months. I've had this problem on several fresh Epis, it's not uncommon.

Also don't forget - pics or it didn't happen!

Cheers, Brian

PS, I understand that only 500 are being made of each color, 2,000 total, so anyone's whose interested needs to move on it now or gamble on another run.

If I don't post pics.... it didn't happen? You think that would fly with the Credit Card Co.? ;-)

A_IMG_6196_zpsa85f87cf.jpg

A_IMG_6195_zps1b844b77.jpg

A_IMG_6199_zps42212626.jpg

A_IMG_6197_zps5b6efe69.jpg

A_IMG_6198_zps5f331f62.jpg

One other thing to mention.... I figured I could grab a cheal LP style case and drop her in there.... NOOOOooooooOOOOoooo! That awesome headstock? Yeah.... it don't work that way.... so I gotta get the dedicated case for it.

OOPS!

Thanks for the heads up on the fretboard dye.... I was wondering about that as I cleaned the strings with alcohol and wel... NOTHING came off them yet the fingers turned black yet again.

Interesting to hear about the production numbers..... I'll make sure not to let this one slip from my fingers as I did the original I had in 86.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

You know... I can't put this thing down for extended periods... and I must be careful as the basal joint of the left thumb is only held together with steroidal injection. Actually, that's why I purchased her.... ease of play... outrageous action. Update now.... I am completely blown away by this thing. I remember the original I owned... and how it was a sweet instrument to play... had very unique sounds, etc. and maybe there's 25 years of fog involved... but the new one seems to outperform beyond description.

Kind of funny as I really was agonizing over the purchase.... staring at the images... the features listed on the websites... the review HERE.... I think Brian should have received a commission on the sale actually....

Then... it happened. As I had signed up to receive correspondance from Guitar Center pursuant to specials, sales, etc., they sent me a "St. Patricks" day discount code.... $100 off any purchase of $499 or more.

Yeah..... that's all she wrote!

So I get advertizing from G.C. quite a bit... for the savings I just utilized to procure one amazing guitar, I think it's a small price to pay.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

That's the same way I feel.

I have 5 of the vintage units and a Genesis bass but the reissue outperforms them all in playability and tone IMHO.

Good to know you're still happy with the purchase Larry.

Cheers!

Boy howdy is getting THE case for this thing becoming a bit of an adventure.... have to "Special Order" it through Guitar Center.... and of course, there's a whole bunch of conditions you have to accept..... one of them being they will not S.O. anything under $100.

Hmmmmm..... My luck it will list at $99.99

Stay tuned!

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

brian

thanks so much for the kind words!

great review, and i couldn't agree more ... epi1 was incredibly generous in getting one to me, and it's really an exceptional guitar! i'm particularly thrilled to have one in my hands again, as many years ago i had my own personal prototypes of a deluxe and a bass in storage, and they were stolen.

i'm both happy and humbled to see this come to pass.

what part of this big ol' world do you hang out? would be fun to meet up sometime. if i can swing it, i may try to get out to NAMM this year. would be fun, i reckon ...

thanks again for all of the support you've given this, and thanks to epi1 and the entire project staff for taking this design forward, and making it better than it ever was.

cheers

jim

Archived