Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Genesis Reissue Review & Demo

brianh

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG. i was just going through some old photos today, and ran across one that blew me away. i had TOTALLY forgot a marketing campaign that i had pulled together while i was at gibson. the theme was 'american made. world played.' i designed and prototyped the guitar for the shoot. once it came out, our sales force INSISTED that we do a limited edition run of it. it's known these days as the map guitar ...

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii606/jimearthmuse/NAMMcirca1980withthemapguitar.jpg

wow.

The Genesis is sweet looking guitar. It looks a LOT like my 1976 Guild M-80 solidbody:

GuildM80full.jpg

GuildM80body2.jpg

Interesting that the Genesis first came out in 1979 well after Guild had been doing their solidbody M series guitars.

nice. wish you could actually see the solid body genesis mandolin in that red steagall shot. i know i have a pic of it somewhere ...

There was a Genesis mandolin? Very cool! If you have a picture of one, I would love to see it.

Yeah, that 1979 foldout is huge. It was a real pain trying to scan it on a legal sized scanner. Unfortunately, it is a little beat up around the creases after my efforts, but I felt that it was important to digitize it and share with everyone. It is such a great piece that most people dont get to see.

There was a Genesis mandolin? Very cool! If you have a picture of one, I would love to see it.

Yeah, that 1979 foldout is huge. It was a real pain trying to scan it on a legal sized scanner. Unfortunately, it is a little beat up around the creases after my efforts, but I felt that it was important to digitize it and share with everyone. It is such a great piece that most people dont get to see.

well, there was a one-off that i did. never got into the line, although i wish that i had pressed that beyond the PR effort that it was. it was more than a little bit sweet. i'll find the pic of it, eventually. too many boxes full of unknown ****... thanks so much for all of the effort you've put into that foldout. we were trying to make sense of where we were, and it wasn't easy...

i so appreciate everything that you've done to re-capture this one small bit of the heritage. thanks so much!

well, there was a one-off that i did. never got into the line, although i wish that i had pressed that beyond the PR effort that it was. it was more than a little bit sweet. i'll find the pic of it, eventually. too many boxes full of unknown ****... thanks so much for all of the effort you've put into that foldout. we were trying to make sense of where we were, and it wasn't easy...

i so appreciate everything that you've done to re-capture this one small bit of the heritage. thanks so much!

when i move next, i'll sit down and go through all of the unmarked boxes that i am sure contain the pics that i'm looking for. this has all prompted me to scan a BOATLOAD of shots. my bad for not having done so prior ...

a regular Epi LP case will fit, too

Actually, it won't. The headstock is considerably longer and as a result extends much "deeper" into the case... so nope... it doesn't fit. We tried.

I suppose I could have "modified" the case a bit... but I might as well get the correct case for it. Seeing as it's becoming that difficult to get (at least for the moment), perhaps the case may be a bit of a rarity in the future.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone - Getting on my case.....

Actually, it won't. The headstock is considerably longer and as a result extends much "deeper" into the case... so nope... it doesn't fit. We tried.

Genis do fit in several of the LP cases I have including the standard Epi LP case and a TKL.

I think it depends on "which" LP case, there are so many variations...the headstock is the issue so measure twice...

Just got mine and i'm very impressed with it. Epiphones best kept secret?

LOL... that could very well be. Though, pursuant to the originals circa 1980, they have had a bit of a following.

Any one else in the UK got one?

I have mine here in the US and was a bit surprised seeing yours... with the Epiphone logo on the truss rod cover. If you look back in the thread, you can see mine which most definitely has "GENESIS" on the truss cover. I wonder if that's the only point of difference between them.

BTW: Nice guitar. Pics don't do them justice but knowing what mine looks like in person compared to it's images, I can pretty much tell yours is equally as eye-popping.

Question: Is that case specific to the guitar? I'm in the process of waiting for the case for mine as it was quite a process to get it special ordered. I'm thinking the "Limited Edition Re-Issue CASE" may be even more of a "limited edition" than the guitar itself!

Congrats in the acquisition. Knowing what I know of these new units... and the originals... DO NOT EVER EVER EVER.... sell it. You'll regret it... at least until you get another.

These new ones are even quite an improvement over the originals.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL, USA

Larry, Got this from ebay as a 2nd from MIRC. Seemed to be the only way to get one over here. There have been adverts from one or two shops, but no Gens' have made it over yet. So maybe, i have the only one here so far?

Got a load of help and info from Brian H that has been invaluable. It came over in an Epi' 'Slash' hard case (the one you see) which fits like a glove. I really would like the Genesis case, but again it may prove difficult to get one over here at a reasonable price.

Had this over the weekend, and have been setting it up and tweaking it to my liking. Really is a great axe! Why it did not take off back in 79-81 i do not know - a really original modern design for Epiphone, should have gained more attention. Maybe this time around?

Gene002.jpg

Its in good company!

Absolutely love mine. Glad to hear you've found a proper case that fits well. All the in-house more "economical" cases for LP's at the local store would not fit the headstock very well if at all. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the actual Geni case. My original from years ago had it's own specific case as well.

As to the originals... well, they're amazing axes too.... as I'm sure you've read, considerably heavier and the coil splitting, whilst certainly a new and novel thing went a but un-noticed (at least by me). I had procured mine used and whilst I noticed the wee switch did "something" to the sound of the guitar, I wasn't able to really glean it's specifics. Unfortunately, I had no manual... and there was no internet at the time.

The new versions have coil splitting that's completely independent for each P'up. I'm sure you've been experimenting. The range of tones is pretty amazing. Some say it's like having two guitars in one... but I think it's considerably more. Set it up with one single and one 'bucker and you can accomplish a lot of interesting differences merely with a flick of the pickup selector!

Yours is most excellent looking... I bet you've been staring at it trying to find the "minor finish flaw" that earned it the "2nd" stamp. I have an Epi Lucille 2nd that has such a minor flaw as to be moot. What you may want to do... is look around on Ebay, etc. and maybe procure a true "Genesis" truss rod cover for it. As I mentioned... that's the only visible point of difference that I'm seeing.

I've thought about putting a pickguard on mine as well... but as it's so often mentioned... it's only "original"... ONCE. Besides... I think that may completely alter the personality... and possibly not in a good way.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL USA

This is a great guitar Jim and i salute you for your design input. I cant help thinking that Epiphone need to market this a bit harder.

I have tried to personalise it and get it away further from the Les Paul by just changing things that are easily undone. Makes it look

more subtle to me by removing the 'poker chip' and different knobs. I may well put a bone nut on, but the plastic one is ok.

Larry, i am getting a decal made for the truss rod cover as i'd prefer it to let people know what it is. Dont think it needs a pick guard

to hide that lovely flame either. Brian is helping me with the case,wont be cheap, but i can sell the 'Slash' one it came in to help with

shipping cost.

gengold001.jpg

Archived