Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo trade in

JohnnyReb

Hey all. Got a 2010 AJ i swapped a Martin for recently. Really LOVE the AJ. However, it has a few spots on it i think Gibson coulda done a better job at. I cant upload a pic with my iphone but for a 2500 dollar guitar id expext little more attention to detail. Im not really gonna go deep into it because it really isnt the issue. Anyhow, i love the sound and feel of the AJ so much im considering trading this one in for a brand new mint condition one, without the sloppy job they did on a few areas of the current one i own.....if possible. So heres the question....theres listed at 2500 new. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay out the door for one? It will prob be a guitar center purchase in nashville tn and i know they will work with you ( previouse experience). I know they dont seem to move as many gibson acoustics as martins, so i figure gibsons have a little more wiggle room on price. Oh and another reason, i want a lifetime warranty

Hey all. Got a 2010 AJ i swapped a Martin for recently. Really LOVE the AJ. However, it has a few spots on it i think Gibson coulda done a better job at. I cant upload a pic with my iphone but for a 2500 dollar guitar id expext little more attention to detail. Im not really gonna go deep into it because it really isnt the issue. Anyhow, i love the sound and feel of the AJ so much im considering trading this one in for a brand new mint condition one, without the sloppy job they did on a few areas of the current one i own.....if possible. So heres the question....theres listed at 2500 new. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay out the door for one? It will prob be a guitar center purchase in nashville tn and i know they will work with you ( previouse experience). I know they dont seem to move as many gibson acoustics as martins, so i figure gibsons have a little more wiggle room on price. Oh and another reason, i want a lifetime warranty

i recently bought a new AJ and paid $150 less than sticker.

Well, i wont buy a new one if it doesnt sound good. I dont buy anything i dont play first. Second, im not really worried about the trade in value. And yes sound and playability has alot to do with it. However, sloppy craftsmanship on a high end guitar just erks me i guess. I just dont expect to see excess glue around the bridge, and where the neck/fretboard is on a 2500 dollar box. No it hadnt been repaired before. My martin, and most all other martins ive tried have flawless craftmanship. Scratches and battle scars are a different story. I dont think all gibsons are sloppy, they just did a sloppy job on this one. I guess another option would be to have my Luthier, Richard Starky, touch it up maybe?? Hes a top notch martin luthier in nashville tn, but im sure he wont turn me away :) i dunno, ill think about it some more. I got the eye of a Marine Corpse Drill Instructor so little mishaps bug me. Ill try to wait it out and see if my feelings settle down a bit lol

Well crap, i just turned the Marine Corps into the Marine Corpse lol. Sorry about the mis spell. Semper fi

It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of the problems so that we can get a better sense of what it is that bothers you about the AJ.

By the way, you can edit your original post by hitting the "edit" button at the bottom , without having to make a second post.

Sell the AJ on eBay an skip the horror that is GC. Get one from EM Shorts or Dave's Guitar in LaCrosse, WI and you'll get a much better deal and a million times better service.

Selling a used AJ should net $1600-$1800.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that AJ's are only carried by 5 Star dealers. Not sure if Dave's is 5 Star, but EM Shorts I don't think is.

My martin, and most all other martins ive tried have flawless craftmanship.
Welcome tho the wonderful world of Gibson guitars. Distinctive tone, yes, but

craftsmanship, well, let's just say that, historically, Gibsons have never known for being squeaky clean. It's a reason Martin fans (and Collings and Goodall fans) look at Gibson with a jaundiced eye.

I wish i could post a pic. This site wont let me upload the pics from a iphone. I iphone app would be great for this site by the way. Anyway, i did post some pics on the telecaster forum under acoustics. Its the lines on the headstock logo that bug me the most. Its like gibson made a mark to place the logo, and missed it. So theres outline outside of the arrow logo that shouldnt be there. Check it and see what you think

The longer you own, play and enjoy an instrument with a couple of finish flaws, the less they will seem apparent/matter to you.

If you really can't live with a couple of little imperfections but love the tone, playability and feel of your AJ, I'd suggest getting your luthier to touch up the issues that you are bugged by. It's worth remembering that every guitar is a unique combination of unique pieces of tonewood, and that no two are ever truly the same. You could trade for an AJ that doesn't break in as sweetly, age as well or respond as nicely as your current one.

Out of curiosity, what was the Martin you traded for your AJ?

If you really can't live with a couple of little imperfections but love the tone, playability and feel of your AJ, I'd suggest getting your luthier to touch up the issues that you are bugged by. ... every guitar is a unique combination of unique pieces of tonewood, and that no two are ever truly the same

This. right here. As Jerry lee would say, 'think about it'.

The AJ I bought was still "new" but was built in 2005. There was some crackling around the Gibson logo and the headstock inlay lacquer and there was some ceiling rash on the top of the headstock. The rest of the guitar was in great shape. I can see a mindset that says a brand new $2500 guitar should be pristine, but when I strummed this guitar and considered it against ALL the others I'd played, it was clearly the superior guitar. My suggestions is, if that's the case for you, I'd think twice before looking for greener grass in another AJ. Unless your buying these guitars as showpieces, which I know many people do.

The longer you own, play and enjoy an instrument with a couple of finish flaws, the less they will seem apparent/matter to you.

If you really can't live with a couple of little imperfections but love the tone, playability and feel of your AJ, I'd suggest getting your luthier to touch up the issues that you are bugged by. It's worth remembering that every guitar is a unique combination of unique pieces of tonewood, and that no two are ever truly the same. You could trade for an AJ that doesn't break in as sweetly, age as well or respond as nicely as your current one.

Out of curiosity, what was the Martin you traded for your AJ?

I traded a 2011 D28 standard for it. Was a excellent example of what a Martin should be. But i was lovestruck by the power and volume of the AJ. I always felt my d28 was a pretty powerful guitar for being as new as it was, but the AJ trounced it in the power and volume dept. Anyway, we swapped even for them. He left happy, and im happy as well. Im starting to feel a little more accepting of the sloppy mishaps in the craftsmanship today. Maybe ill hang onto it for awhile :) im gonna have a go around with a HD28V here soon and see how my Gibby holds up

I traded a 2011 D28 standard for it. Was a excellent example of what a Martin should be. But i was lovestruck by the power and volume of the AJ. I always felt my d28 was a pretty powerful guitar for being as new as it was, but the AJ trounced it in the power and volume dept. Anyway, we swapped even for them. He left happy, and im happy as well. Im starting to feel a little more accepting of the sloppy mishaps in the craftsmanship today. Maybe ill hang onto it for awhile :) im gonna have a go around with a HD28V here soon and see how my Gibby holds up

Having tried 3 hd-28s to my one AJ and walking out with the Gibson, I'm thinking it'll hold up well.

if its a who has the loudest guitar competition maybe you should get an SG and an amp :-)

Well sometimes it is a loud competition lol. Im a bluegrass guy, so louder is better :) those gibson banjos along with a few HD28vintage guitars are hard to compete with. I know my rythem will give a banjo a run for its money. THe HD28v is gonna out bass me, but the AJ has more growl and punch. The neibors are gonna come over with that mastertone gibson, and the hd28v and laugh at my gibson. And it will be a competition.... And a fun one!

Yea 2500 is too much. Id have to walk out with it for 2,000 at the least. BUT, after a few days of debate i think im just gonna hang onto it for awhile. I feel better about it, and dont seem so erked about a few sloppy spots. I been taking predisone ( steriods) lately for some back problems i been having.....and it tends to make me a little cranky and un nerved. My dosage went down yeserday and im more calm about the situation. So yea i believe ill keep it for awhile and save my money. Maybe next year ill add a HD28V and have the best of both worlds :)

Archived