Gibson Brands Forums

Extension Cabinet Aspirations

JamGuy

Before anyone gets all hot with me... yeah, I know this isn't exactly an Epiphone or Gibson related question but the master plan is to be playing one of mine through it eventually:)

So here's the scoop...

I went to the antique/junk furniture store with the little lady today and found this number and paid $35 bucks for it, thinking I could turn it into a kick___ extension cab. My questions are these...

1) Has anyone attempted such a project?

2) Is this worth pursing as a reasonable project with satisfactory outcome?

3) The baffle shown with the measuring tape is a little wider than 15", the baffle shown in the other pic of the backside of the cab is a little wider than 12"... would it be safe to assume that the original baffle is for a 15" speaker and the non-orig. baffle is for a 12" speaker?

4) Anyone know of a cool furniture restoration forum? I'm new at this sort of thing but the potential seems huge for making an absolutely fantastic piece of musically functional art.

Thanks a bunch! -JG

ampcab1front.jpg

ampcabback.jpg

speakerbaffle.jpg

Yes, yes and yes.

Score on your part. No reason that couldn't work AND sound good as a cab for a good (or great) speaker. Also seems like it has built in versatility to use either a 12" or 15" speaker.

It also seems like for a living room cab, would have a high WAF (Wife Approval Factor).

Yes, yes and yes.

Score on your part. No reason that couldn't work AND sound good as a cab for a good (or great) speaker. Also seems like it has built in versatility to use either a 12" or 15" speaker.

It also seems like for a living room cab, would have a high WAF (Wife Approval Factor).

[lol] That's hilarious, I was just telling the little lady the very same thing... I just joined a furniture refinishing forum and am hoping to get some info there on where to begin. It's in pretty good shape overall but needs a little TLC in spots... I think I can get it pretty solid though. My big concern is getting everything snugged up so it doesn't vibrate. Also, where it's such a large enclosure, would I be better off with an open(partially) or closed back cab? I don;t understand the science behind it...

Yes, yes and yes.

Agreed, looks great ...and LOL@WAF ,,,, gonna have to remember that one :)

Agreed, looks great ...and LOL@WAF ,,,, gonna have to remember that one :)

Yeah, that was pretty funny. I'm still thinking about what to do with it exactly... I was thinking of picking up one of those new Fender Champ X2 heads for it but we'll see. First things first, I need some warmer, drier weather before I really get rolling with it. I've been looking on eBay for a scrap of grill cloth for right now.

• 1 month later...

Well, after a few months of fiddling around... here she is. I haven't fired it up but just ordered a Fender Super Champ X2 to sit on top... hopefully the cab sounds decent.

cabfr.jpg

cabcloseup.jpg

cabback.jpg

Looks awesome! Plus there's the sentimentality of having done it yourself. Very sweet unit that.

Very sweet indeed .... my wife actually would let that live in our living room .... she hates the "ugly big pink" (her words) Epi VJr 1x12 ext cab [biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

I got an old 1940's Philco Console Radio I wanted to make into an amp. Turns out, the Radio WORKS... I cant bring myself to convert it. I always wanted a cool looking console radio to convert to a guitar amp.

Archived