Gibson Brands Forums

Derek Trucks Signature SG

Rich W

Gibson is showing off a Derek Trucks signature SG at winter NAMM.

I can't find any info about it on the Gibson site, however. And this You-tube clip doesn't mention much about specs. Does anyone know anything about its pickups, tuners, wiring, etc.?

I wonder if this is this going to be another one of those extremely limited edition models, like the Joe Bonamassa Epi Les Paul, that is going to be sold out before it is in any stores for regular folk to buy?

I bet it's the same as the 50th anniversary Derek Trucks model

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb-Gibson-SG-Derek-Trucks-50th-Anniversary-HC.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-50th-anniversary-derek-trucks-sg-electric-guitar

That never made it to production.

But without the grainy 50 years logo.

Gibson's showing it off at NAMM this week and telling people it's a go. And yet nothing whatsoever about it on their website (yet). You could be right about them not being fully behind this guitar ... which would be a shame.

Gibson is showing off a Derek Trucks signature SG at winter NAMM.

I can't find any info about it on the Gibson site, however. And this You-tube clip doesn't mention much about specs. Does anyone know anything about its pickups, tuners, wiring, etc.?

I wonder if this is this going to be another one of those extremely limited edition models, like the Joe Bonamassa Epi Les Paul, that is going to be sold out before it is in any stores for regular folk to buy?

Yeah I saw this on the site of the shop I go to, up for pre-order

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-50th-anniversary-derek-trucks-sg-electric-guitar--83155

dtsg.jpg

Gibson's showing it off at NAMM this week and telling people it's a go. And yet nothing whatsoever about it on their website (yet). You could be right about them not being fully behind this guitar ... which would be a shame.

I wouldn't say they aren't fully behind it, I'm just saying it never made it to production. Rumor has it that Gibson ran up against a sourcing problem with some of their raw materials in 2011, but I have no idea what the actual reason is.

I own this guitar, it's the Limited Run 50th Anniversary Derek Trucks SG Electric Guitar, I bought it in early December. The inspection list says it was built and inspected in 9/11(I'm not sure how many were made for this limited run). I ordered it from Guitar Center and the first one I got I sent back because one of the saddle screws was mangled, the second one is great. The differences I see from the NAMM version is the fretboard on mine has Grade-A rosewood and has the 50th ann. logo where the NAMM version is American Rosewood (I am not sure how they are different) and has the stadard headstock inlay.

These are the specs and description on mine:

A sweet singing SG suited for a steel-fingered string-slinger.

The Limited Run 50th Anniversary Derek Trucks SG Electric Guitar is made to exacting specs of Derek’s main stage guitar, the body of the Derek Trucks SG is typical of the thin SG bodies from the mid 1960s, made from solid mahogany complete with traditional beveled edges and the distinct dual sharp cutaway horns that allow complete access to the guitar’s full 22-fret rosewood fingerboard. The body is then finished in Heritage Cherry, which is very similar to the finish of his beloved ’61 SG reissue. The hardware features a Tune-O-Matic bridge paired with a stopbar tailpiece, along with a chrome Lyre tailpiece.

This SG is outfitted with a pair of ‘57 Classic humbucking pickups made with genuine Alnico II magnets, and wound with 42-AWG enamel-coated wire just like the originals, but are wax potted to combat microphonic squeal for high-volume playing.

The guitar’s quartersawn mahogany neck is carved in a slim but rounded 1960’s profile that measures .800” at the 1st fret and .895” at the 12th. It is glued into the body with Gibson’s deep set-neck joint and topped with a Grade-A rosewood fingerboard with 22 medium-jumbo frets and vintage cream binding. A 50th Anniversary graphic on the headstock only enhances the elegant look of the Derek Trucks SG. A Gibson hardshell case is included.

Features

• Mahogany Body

• Heritage Cherry finish

• Mahogany Neck

• Rosewood Fretboard

• 22 frets

• 2 Gibson ’57 Classic Humbucker

• 2 Volume, 2 Tone controls

• Chrome Hardware

• Includes Gibson Case

I own this guitar, it's the Limited Run 50th Anniversary Derek Trucks SG Electric Guitar, I bought it in early December. The inspection list says it was built and inspected in 9/11(I'm not sure how many were made for this limited run).

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't think any made it to production. Enjoy it!

I don't get why you would put a Lyre cover tailpiece on the guitar with NO tremolo. Also, don't like the missing PG.

Derek Trucks was disappointed with the original vibrato arm and tailpiece, and installed a stop-bar tailpiece instead. But he likes the classic look of the original tailpiece and how it's weight makes the SG less neck-heavy, so he left it on too. The signature guitar has both tailpieces because it's a knock off of his SG.

I suppose, being a finger picker, he didn't see a need for a PG. I take them off my guitars too. Some like em', some don't.

I'll bet Trucks' guitar has better pickups than the '57s that this one comes with. I have '57s in a semi-hollow and love them. But I've heard they're not quite the thing in an SG.

Do you like the feel of the neck?

I really like the the slim neck on this guitar but I have never been a fan of the fatter necks. It should feel the same as the 61 reissue.

Initially I was going to get the 61 but I saw this one for 300 less and it has the pretty much the same specs. On derek's site his guitar tech said the guitar is exactly like the one Derek plays.

Derek Trucks was disappointed with the original vibrato arm and tailpiece, and installed a stop-bar tailpiece instead. But he likes the classic look of the original tailpiece and how it's weight makes the SG less neck-heavy, so he left it on too. The signature guitar has both tailpieces because it's a knock off of his SG.

I suppose, being a finger picker, he didn't see a need for a PG. I take them off my guitars too. Some like em', some don't.

I'll bet Trucks' guitar has better pickups than the '57s that this one comes with. I have '57s in a semi-hollow and love them. But I've heard they're not quite the thing in an SG.

Wow, never thought of that, but this man is clearly a genius.

Mean that in best way possible. Not saying that I have big probs with heavy neck but certainly it is nice to balance guitar out.

• 2 weeks later...

This one's basically a "reissue" of the circa-2000 SG '61 reissue w/ Maestro (good...take hint Gibson), with the modded tailpiece and missing pickguard (bad). Not terribly priced, but I'd love to see 'em do the '61 RI w/Maestro propa' while they're at it. HINT, HINT.

Did I mention "HINT"?

H

Archived