Gibson Brands Forums

What did you think of Grohl's speech at the Grammys?

ShredAstaire

"This is a great honour, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine...

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do.

"It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

I liked it...but then thought it strange when he participated in the 'Electronic Music Tribute' thingy on the show...

Seemed to damage his initial message as far as I am concerned...

What do YOU think?

"This is a great honour, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine...

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do.

"It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

I liked it...but then thought it strange when he participated in the 'Electronic Music Tribute' thingy on the show...

What do YOU think?

I think it's great and to his credit that he can do both....

I think it's great and to his credit that he can do both....

I agree.

There was an ad during the show for some smart phone where the kid finds a guitar, learns songs and organizes a rehearsal and invites his friends to the garage where they are playing. Combining the new digital world with the old school garage band.

What do YOU think?

Well they did a documentry about their last album called Foo Fighters : Back and Forth, if you watch that it makes more sense. It came from an album they tried to make with a massive studio and cost a heap of money an none of them were happy with it so it got shelved while Dave went and played with Queens of the Stoneage.. Then they came back together and re-recorded the whole thing in a week cheaply and that was what was released.. So when they came to make the new album Dave was like, im gonna make this in my garage and on tape as I want that old school feeling.. and thats how the last album was made and he was really proud of that.. and I dont blame him :)

Watch the documentry if you havent seen it.. its really good.

I've seen Back and Forth....and if you saw it...thats one expensive Garage album...lol!

Haha yes true.. not many people could afford that or the guest stars or producer.. BUT, I guess it was all in the attitude more than anything... Just not doing it the usual record company way and doing it more on your own terms...

I'm not so effusive about people who never really had to deal with analog tape telling me how wonderful it is. The issue has become so much one of ideology rather than ears, "it's old, it's analog, it must sound great." It's completely true that the great old analog studios could sound really good, (although part of this was because engineers had not yet developed the modern obsession with compression and volume that ruins many modern recordings). I Love the sound of the two-track first Beatles album. However, when waxing nostalgic about the great old analog studios, people today either forget or never knew that most of us ordinary stiffs would never have gotten near that sort of studio.

Everyone seems to have forgotten how incredibly expensive and inaccessible good recording was in the 70's and early 80's. Without an advance from a label, you just couldn't afford to go into a "proper" studio for more than a couple of hours. The best the average musician could lay hands on was a borrowed four-track Teac 3340. When you mixed this down to 2-track, it always sounded different from the multi-track master. Then you sent it away for disk cutting and pressing, where most of the top end disappeared. The vinyl you finally got back usually sounded nothing like your original mix, and somehow seemed to have half the volume of big commercial pressings. I'd take the ease, accuracy and democratic availability of digital recording over the way things were in the 70's any day, rock star nostalgia notwithstanding.

I'm not so effusive about people who never really had to deal with analog tape telling me how wonderful it is. The issue has become so much one of ideology rather than ears, "it's old, it's analog, it must sound great." It's completely true that the great old analog studios could sound really good, (although part of this was because engineers had not yet developed the modern obsession with compression and volume that ruins many modern recordings). I Love the sound of the two-track first Beatles album. However, when waxing nostalgic about the great old analog studios, people today either forget or never knew that most of us ordinary stiffs would never have gotten near that sort of studio.

Everyone seems to have forgotten how incredibly expensive and inaccessible good recording was in the 70's and early 80's. Without an advance from a label, you just couldn't afford to go into a "proper" studio for more than a couple of hours. The best the average musician could lay hands on was a borrowed four-track Teac 3340. When you mixed this down to 2-track, it always sounded different from the multi-track master. Then you sent it away for disk cutting and pressing, where most of the top end disappeared. The vinyl you finally got back usually sounded nothing like your original mix, and somehow seemed to have half the volume of big commercial pressings. I'd take the ease, accuracy and democratic availability of digital recording over the way things were in the 70's any day, rock star nostalgia notwithstanding.

Amen, to that statement! As to how things are recorded, analog tape, or digital. I don't much care.

But, they need to know/learn when, to leave well enough alone...IMHO. I recently compared "The New

Yardbirds" CD, to the old, original Yardbirds "Rave Up" LP. The new one, was much cleaner, and more

"perfect" in sound, but felt "soulless/lifeless" etc., because of that "perfection," to me. The old one had a

TON more "soul/vibe" and immediacy! [thumbup]

CB

I have been a fan of the Foo since the beginning, though I am not as crazy about this album as many are. Dave Grohl is one of the most likeable guys in music, not just rock music. I love his self-deprecating sense of humor and he seems like the ultimate guy just to have a beer with. It's no wonder that this guy is friends with everyone from Led Zeppelin to Paul McCartney. McCartney has said he is going to work with Grohl on Macca's next album...that says something.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Most here are too young, or never had the opportunity to record on 2 inch master. It would take two weeks just to get all micing and all the amps separated from each other before we could do dry rehearsals..... Mixing and mastering was another battle.... I just remebered being so drained after a month straight of studio work back in the "good ol days." [thumbdn]

One of our old demos included 18 songs would had cost us at least $100k if we didn't have management.... Old school recording was a total PIA

I've seen Back and Forth....and if you saw it...thats one expensive Garage album...lol!

Hehe yea, that's a hell of a "Garage"

I think what Dave was saying is the way timing gets artificially fixed, notes get stamped out and re-recorded, or fixed.

I still don't think they recorded the record in an old school way, more like best of both worlds, I mean you can see the software running.

Hehe yea, that's a hell of a "Garage"

I think what Dave was saying is the way timing gets artificially fixed, notes get stamped out and re-recorded, or fixed.

I still don't think they recorded the record in an old school way, more like best of both worlds, I mean you can see the software running.

I'd have to agree with this part especially. There was more after what was typed in the initial quotes but they started playing the "shut up already" music and I didn't hear anything until it finally shut off and he said "long live rock & roll" then left the stage.

We had a 4 track recorder in the 80's that cost $400! I still have it. I'm split on this a bit. I always loved how Jimmy Page just basically did things in one take and left any "mistakes" in there. You feel like the album is more "live" in that sense. On the other hand I also love Moving Pictures. I think it is one of the best mixed albums ever put out there. Lifeson layered guitar after guitar on that album.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I actually met him once for a second backstage at a show a few years ago. Honestly, he's a pretty down to earth dude, and seems to always make time to at least say what's up to a fan. Even if he wasn't famous as hell, he'd probably be a cool guy to drink some beers with and talk about bands.

I actually met him once for a second backstage at a show a few years ago. Honestly, he's a pretty down to earth dude, and seems to always make time to at least say what's up to a fan. Even if he wasn't famous as hell, he'd probably be a cool guy to drink some beers with and talk about bands.

I drank with him before a QOTSA show in Chicago on the Songs for the Deaf tour!!! :) Best dude ever...

Archived