Gibson Brands Forums

Original Strap Button Color? 90s J45..

mistafeeze

In regards to a non electric 1999 Gibson Early J-45, does anyone know what color the strap button on the butt is supposed to be? Mine previously had a pickup installed with the endpin jack. Now it just has the hole leftover that was drilled. Went to Stewmac and they have 3 choices for plugs with colored buttons. My initial reaction was to buy the ebony one...but then I thought a creme one would look nice...does anyone know what it's supposed to be?

In regards to a non electric 1999 Gibson Early J-45, does anyone know what color the strap button on the butt is supposed to be? Mine previously had a pickup installed with the endpin jack. Now it just has the hole leftover that was drilled. Went to Stewmac and they have 3 choices for plugs with colored buttons. My initial reaction was to buy the ebony one...but then I thought a creme one would look nice...does anyone know what it's supposed to be?

I think they've been ivory, or cream colored forever, to match the buttons and bridgepins.

I think they've been ivory, or cream colored forever, to match the buttons and bridgepins.

Not "forever", for sure. Many in the 40's and 50's had black bridge pins and black endpin. I've also seen black endpins with white bridge pins, but either may not necessarily be original. My '48 J-45 had black endpin (almost certainly original) and white bridgepins (which may not have been original) when I bought it in 1966.

Not "forever", for sure. Many in the 40's and 50's had black bridge pins and black endpin. I've also seen black endpins with white bridge pins, but either may not necessarily be original. My '48 J-45 had black endpin (almost certainly original) and white bridgepins (which may not have been original) when I bought it in 1966.

Hey Nick, Don,t remember seeing pics of your '48...How about a few pics? So I can check it out...

I tend toward the white/cream buttons. Thats what my '48 SJ had...It was shrunk up like a little skull...got me a nice replacement from Stew-Mac and couldn't be happier.... [biggrin]

Makes sense Nick. The early black combos existed I figure. I wonder if there were black tuner buttons on any old J45's straight from the factory.

I haven't seen them, but would not be surprised if it has been done. My '48 J-45 had a black endpin, but the standard three-on-a-strip enclosed Klusons with off-white buttons. I'm sure the endpin was original, as it was pretty beat up when I got the guitar in 1966. It finally crumbled a couple of years ago, but I saved the pieces. Endpins and bridgepins get changed out a lot, and people are not too fussed if they aren't original, even on a vintage instrument. They do wear out with use, particularly bridge pins.

Sounds like me talking about my self-esteem. . . .

Seriously - gathering the original splintered grains is a gesture of finesse and affection.

I have bags of bits shed by my guitars over the years: tuners, pins, bridges, pickguards, saddles.......

But, no, I don't keep old strings.....

I like the drifting into self reflection and philosophising. That's one of the ways you know you need music to exist outside the straight jacket.

Hey Nick, I use old strings to put on my beat up Oahu squareneck slide, hooked up to the Fender Princeton through a 25 yr old Lawrence s'hole pickup. You gotta' problem wit' dat'? It could be said that you and I are old strings. After all, you knew Wimpy's full name.

Hey Nick, Don,t remember seeing pics of your '48...How about a few pics? So I can check it out...

I tend toward the white/cream buttons. Thats what my '48 SJ had...It was shrunk up like a little skull...got me a nice replacement from Stew-Mac and couldn't be happier.... [biggrin]

Rod, That's the one that I've posted a lot of pictures of. Most of its visual history is posted in gotomsdos current "great job you vintage J-50's did" thread. It's still an active thread on page one here. I'm sure you've seen the pictures before.

If you really want cream (which is understandable), you could perform the shoe-polish trick. Smear it in brown and put a piece of cloth with a rubberband around.

Let it sleep for 12 to 20 hour and voila !

I never tried it, but my pal did it his tuners with good results.

Trick learned here by the way -

Archived