Gibson Brands Forums

Humidifiers...wasted time and money.

jedzep

This is a matter of physics and it's arguable ad infinitum, but when you consider an acoustic that's been around for 40 or 50 years, it's safe to assume that the original moisture content in the wood has long evaporated out, and basically can absorb and/or shed it again as conditions at hand dictate. I think that if your instrument comes new it might be wise to keep it from dehydrating, but it shouldn't matter after the many years of exposure indoors, outdoors, dry rooms, basements, and attics. Of course it's important to not expose a guitar to rapid changes in temperature, ( I don't allow my guitars in the side of the house heated with wood ) but I feel trying to restore moisture after so many years of dry existence can start changes such as expansion, contraction, and softening that could cause undesirable movement.

My old guitars hang where I can walk by and quickly grab to play. They acclimate at the same pace as the environment, slow and steady..My cases sit in a second floor storage room, only used to take to the guitar hospital or for shipping. I've treated acoustics like this since my first Goya, a '64, and now after all the years see that my guitars have remained stable throughout time. If I had to fumble with water and sponges and hanging fixtures, I'd probably play less and generally be annoyed by the process. I throw this out to owners of old instruments, especially you who had guitars long before there were soundhole type or other home use humidifiers.

Do you think I'm way off on this? I've taken plenty of crap for this opinion, but I think these are not necessarily good for old gits.

Yo Jedzep, You and I are 'cut of the same cloth'. I agree with what you say and that is my same feeling. I just have not dared speak it.... I bought all the crap...but don,t use it.

Go figure...guitars in the attic for 20 years....come out, glue a bridge, fix a crack and good as new. That ain,t bad for 20 years in an attic. My old guitars stay in a climate controlled house. I don,t expose them to extreme conditions and they are fine....

I think the guys up north or in the mountains have more issues with depleting moisture. Hey, I am 2 feet above a swamp... [lol]

Yo Jedzep, You and I are 'cut of the same cloth'. I agree with what you say and that is my same feeling. I just have not dared speak it.... I bought all the crap...but don,t use it.

Go figure...guitars in the attic for 20 years....come out, glue a bridge, fix a crack and good as new. That ain,t bad for 20 years in an attic. My old guitars stay in a climate controlled house. I don,t expose them to extreme conditions and they are fine....

I think the guys up north or in the mountains have more issues with depleting moisture. Hey, I am 2 feet above a swamp... [lol]

How do ya' keep the 'skeeters down? Maybe you could fill those humidifiers with deet repellant and hang 'em out on your porch? Then they wouldn't go to waste.

Honestly, it feels good to hear a vintage owner agree on this issue. There's a difference between gear and gimmicks. If your guitar sits in a case with a little humidifier for three days, the minute you pull it out to play it in non controlled environment, it either absorbs moisture or sheds it dependant on the atmosphere of the room. So changes are taking place in the process. I'd just as soon leave it to take on the room conditions while in the case, so changes occur slowly as they would inside a home. Experts have told me I'm dopey on this. I don't mind being a little dopey. I'm around contractors most of the day, it helps me fit in.

How do ya' keep the 'skeeters down? Maybe you could fill those humidifiers with deet repellant and hang 'em out on your porch? Then they wouldn't go to waste.

Honestly, it feels good to hear a vintage owner agree on this issue. There's a difference between gear and gimmicks. If your guitar sits in a case with a little humidifier for three days, the minute you pull it out to play it in non controlled environment, it either absorbs moisture or sheds it dependant on the atmosphere of the room. So changes are taking place in the process. I'd just as soon leave it to take on the room conditions while in the case, so changes occur slowly as they would inside a home. Experts have told me I'm dopey on this. I don't mind being a little dopey. I'm around contractors most of the day, it helps me fit in.

[lol][lol][lol]

I think the key to this is extreme changes. Up here in Canada it dries out big time during the winter compared to summer (we have very humid summers sometimes with +90 degree weather), so I have taken to running one a bit during the winter months.

If you are in a relatively stable environment, I personally do not think small day to day changes will have a huge impact.

I will tell you, however, that humidifying my room certainly makes a huge tonal difference to non slab bodied guitars..... and the tuning ....

FWIW, BSA

Interesting perspective.. how many years would qualify a guitar as "old"? or not in need of relative humidity attention? AND,, since we are on the subject, guitars that have cracks.. is under humidification the more common cause? Or perhaps the crack(s) is result of the guitar taking a hard hit more common?

Interesting perspective.. how many years would qualify a guitar as "old"? or not in need of relative humidity attention? AND,, since we are on the subject, guitars that have cracks.. is under humidification the more common cause? Or perhaps the crack(s) is result of the guitar taking a hard hit more common?

Both causes, I would say, with regard to cracks.

When is a guitar old? They're like people: no two age the same. When I bought my '48 J-45 in 1966, it was less than 20 years old, but it had been rode hard and put away wet, so it was already an "old" guitar. I have a '68 ES 335-12 that, as far as I can tell, sat under the bed for more than 40 years. It doesn't look its age.

If you are in a relatively stable environment, I personally do not think small day to day changes will have a huge impact.

I will tell you, however, that humidifying my room certainly makes a huge tonal difference to non slab bodied guitars..... and the tuning ....

FWIW, BSA

Spot on in both cases!

I think the key to this is extreme changes. Up here in Canada it dries out big time during the winter compared to summer (we have very humid summers sometimes with +90 degree weather), so I have taken to running one a bit during the winter months.

FWIW, BSA

That reminds me of something I've noticed, and while I just happen to know a couple of real 'collectors' that have a separate humidified room for their expensive harems, my 3 old acoustics, which hang on the inside walls of the living room, really spring to life on severely cold mornings with the heat turned down a tad for the night. It fades away like it was a dream when the heat comes up and I run through my tenth or eleventh stab at 'Embryonic Journey'. I wonder if I could control my playing environment to keep that bounce in the soundboard. Never have a problem with them staying in tune though.

Archived