Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-355

Sunburst PB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EastEnder

After waiting 4 months, I finally got the ES-355 I ordered from the GCS.

May I have it, please?

Seriously, that is one of the most beautiful objects I've ever seen.

EE

Guest EastEnder

Yeah, knowing your propensities, I bet you're drooling over that one....... [biggrin]

You got that right.

My new one's coming tomorrow but it will pale in comparison.

Good thing I'm not the jealous type.

[thumbup]

Phew! That is a sweet guitar! I'm wondering about the fine tuning bridge. Was that a custom order or does that come standard? I haven't seen Gibson using that since the 80's early 90's? Is it a pretty good feature? And East Ender, good lord, man! I envy your collection! It seems like there's always hot new guitfddle coming into the fold.

Guest EastEnder

And East Ender, good lord, man! I envy your collection! It seems like there's always hot new guitfddle coming into the fold.

New one came today. Vintage cherry with some subtle flame. I'll post a picture when I can get down to it. Quite acceptable in terms of quality and build (which is, from me, saying a lot).

Actually, my "collection" is maintaining equilibrium since a few recent acquisitions are being offset by a couple of sales. Just sold a stunning Gretsch 6120 Tiger Maple which was a nostalgia purchase for me, since I had one in the 1960s. Now I'm debating letting the ES-5 go since I don't play it very often at all.

I had this crazy idea that all my future buys will be 355s.

But then there's the L-5....

[thumbup]

Guest EastEnder

Or the Super 400, if you want to go BIG.

Too big. I've wanted one of those since I was a kid listening to Scotty Moore (Elvis was just the front man). As mentioned in another thread, I nearly got one new about a year ago for a great price, but I must have finally matured or something (truth is, the dealer wouldn't divulge the serial number; otherwise it'd be in my house now, resting idly in its case).

Too big. I've wanted one of those since I was a kid listening to Scotty Moore (Elvis was just the front man). As mentioned in another thread, I nearly got one new about a year ago for a great price, but I must have finally matured or something (truth is, the dealer wouldn't divulge the serial number; otherwise it'd be in my house now, resting idly in its case).

I looked at a perfect one a month or so ago. It was a 1935, in virtually new condition. One owner.

It is a BIG guitar. And at $12.5K it would have to take the place of three pretty nice vintage pieces. I decided I would rather have three than one.;

Guest EastEnder

Well, the new ES-355 arrived yesterday. Detailed look, found no faults. Great feel.

A little too much neck relief for me, so I went to adjust the truss rod. Extremely difficult to move the truss rod nut one way or the other.

I realize this could be gunked-up thread, etc., but I'm not taking any chances.

Back she goes.

Archived