Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Gibson patent number T Top humbucker info needed

Lex Everything

Hi all, was hoping I could get some info about a pickup I rediscovered in a box in the garage. It was my dads. Appears to be a patent number T Top. Only thing i'm not sure about are the blue wires above the white leads. I know nothing about these pickups other than what I read on the internet. Nowhere did I see mention of blue wires for any of the patent number T Tops, or other T Top versions. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Are these legit? I asked my dad about the pickup, and he said he bought a pair of worn gold Gibson humbuckers from a music shop in Hollywood in the early 1970's. He also said he should have the other one layin' around somewhere. Anyhow, here are some pics. Thanks for any info!

patno1.JPG

patno2.JPG

patno3.JPG

patno4.JPG

patno5.JPG

t-top2.JPG

t-top3.JPG

t-top4.JPG

t-top5.JPG

Lex Everything,

Welcome to the forum!

The blue wires are a bit of a mystery. Sure they wouldn't be considered purple?

Aside from that, they look good to me.

Maybe you can find some information here:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

It covers Gibson humbuckers including T tops.

Completely read the PAF Pickup Detail Summary around the middle of the page.

It also mentions the use of Purple Wire at one time.

Hope others can provide more info.

Willy

Thanks for the welcome! Well, the picture pretty much captures the wire color as my eyes were seeing them ... a dark blue, of sorts.

Fox, I'm familiar with the patent number, as it is said that Gibson purposely used this trapeze number to throw off those who might want to copy their pickup design.

The only thing that seems odd are those blue wires... and that someone at some point in the pickups early career, potted it in wax. Anywho, guess it may stay a mystery. Might give it a try in my favorite SG... but I wanted to make sure it was worth it before I went to the trouble.

If anyone has further info on the blue wire, please share. Thanks!

Thanks Sunburst, but you mean the bobin wire being purple on an original PAF, right? I know that the original PAF was wound with purple bobin wire. I am referring to the dark blue wires above the white lead wires, as seen in one of my posted pictures. What I have read about T Tops is that they have white leads, white/black leads... but see no mention of those obvious dark blue wires present on my pickup above the leads. I have no doubt I this is a Patent No. T Top, but have searched every forum for info about these blue wires above the leads.... no luck. Just curious. I doubt anybody would have gone to the trouble to rewind, or take apart and rebuild one of these in the 70's. I believe most people were yanking them out in favor of Dimarzio's, etc.

Fox, I'm familiar with the patent number, as it is said that Gibson purposely used this trapeze number to throw off those who might want to copy their pickup design.

I wasn't aware that Gibson was doing that. So, does that mean the pickups really have NO patent at all?

Archived