Gibson Brands Forums

NTD!

Twiz

My tubes arrived last week for my Classic 50. I figured out from some other forum research that these amps are pretty much a plug & play for swapping tubes, so I did the job myself. It was actually pretty easy. It sounds so awesome now. I'm stoked!

classic50_1.jpg

classic50_2.jpg

Ace!

And we are probably the only two freaks on this board that have Godflesh in our music collection. Greatest grindcore band ever. The Pure album changed my life.

Oh yea. I'm a fan of pretty much anything Justin Broadrick does. He rules.

Great!

I am surprised you went with Sovteks though, the Classic 30 i had sounded ice-picky with Sovteks.

Haha. Yea, I just got those because they were cheap at Tube Depot. I think I may start experimenting with different types of tubes. I haven't cranked it yet, *fingers crossed*.

Btw I didn't mention the last time I changed tubes in my half stack I used Electro-Harmonix power amp tubes and pre-amp tubes.

Electro-harmonix makes really great stompboxes, so that's why I went with them.

Do you use soft, medium, or hard tubes? The softer tube distorts earlier and easier than a hard tube.

I didn't study much on this so I went with medium.

If your not getting much distortion from the amp could you like use soft tubes?

Since I play grunge rock I need a little bit of distortion for slight picking and go to heavy strumming and swap in between.

Hmmm, you know, I'm not really sure. I didn't know there were varying types. The description they had up just had "High-Gain" typed up. I know the classic 50's aren't really known as overly gainy amps though. More of a classic rock (kinda like an AC/DC-ish) sound. I got the amp mainly because it was a great deal ($300 for both head and 4X10 cab), and the clean sound these amps are known for. It sounds great with pedals, especially distortions/fuzzes.

I don know what tube set that takes (currently at work) but I just did a retube the other day. Tungsol reissue 12ax7s and JJ EL84s + GZ34 rectifier tube. Waiting on a replacement 12ax7 for the bum one but the AC30 sounded glorious the 5 minutes it worked. I'd give those a shot when you get a chance.

I don know what tube set that takes (currently at work) but I just did a retube the other day. Tungsol reissue 12ax7s and JJ EL84s + GZ34 rectifier tube. Waiting on a replacement 12ax7 for the bum one but the AC30 sounded glorious the 5 minutes it worked. I'd give those a shot when you get a chance.

Thanks for the advice compadre. I'll keep that in mind.

Archived