Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Guitar you own

thevalleygirl

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Valleygirl – long time no see.

Impressive top-5.

Have to say I can't put my herd on a ladder. What I've found is that they all create a whole. In a way the knowledge of the others makes me relax about weaker sides of the guitar I'm actually playing - which again makes me go further into the strong sides of that one.

"The fact that I'm able to change guitar, makes me stay behind the one I'm playing".

E-minor7

I play all of mine as well, they each have their own sound... but if you only had one, what would it be?

What do you mean by "The Valley Girl" in your signagure ?

Does it mean you're a girl ?

Now I have only 2 mid-high end acoustics, martin HD-28 and Gibson 5 STAR J-35. The latter is my favorite by now.

Yes, that is my Wine Label - Valley Girl Wines, also my wine tour business - Valley Girl Tours, your new best friend. I live in Napa, and I am a girl vs. boy.

THANK YOU!! Where on earth did you find a DIF in Blonde? It is the most beautiful one I've ever seen!!! And I love the sound. You are so lucky! Love it!!!

That's what I thought too.... it was in the Guitar Center in San Francisco. I was looking for one, and someone told me about it there.

I've told this story here before, I was torn between the J200 and the DIF. I LOVED the nautual Maple on the J200, but it seemed a bit big for me.

The DIF is the best of both..... top and inlays of the DIF and back 'n sides similar to the J200!

Come on over....bring your 12-string 'bird and we'll play each other's guitars! (but no buttons!)

... but if you only had one, what would it be?

Okayyyy, under soft pressure I have to confess it would be hard if not impossible to betray my old ever loyal D-35.

That said, the 2010 J-45 Standard is high on the list and gettin' higher, , , , closely followed by the '08 Bird.

I play the Bird a lot and am so curious about our process.

No, , , as you hear this desert island Q. - I can't really handle it. . . .

What the hell's going on here? Doesn't anybody have a dang job? No wonder the economy's tankin', we're all home playing geetar and pondering strings.

I keep old strings around to put on my lap slide guitar, and for my L0 which is kept open slack tuned for standard slide playing. The tonal dif is not an issue w/slide

It has to be my Martin 000-28VS. It has some cosmetic issues that are going to be fixed by Folkway Music in Guelph, Ontario, Canada but it is a killer sounding guitar.

What the hell's going on here? Doesn't anybody have a dang job? No wonder the economy's tankin', we're all home playing geetar and pondering strings.

I keep old strings around to put on my lap slide guitar, and for my L0 which is kept open slack tuned for standard slide playing. The tonal dif is not an issue w/slide

I believe with all these guitars listed here we are keeping the economy going! ha ha

This is written from a mixture of professional and personal standpoints-not all of these will make sense on paper, but this is how I feel about my guitars:

#1) Epiphone EJ200

This isn't the best sounding or best finished guitar I own, but it's the one I play the most, both live and at home, for some reason. It has a great neck, super-low buzz-free action and lovely tone both unplugged and plugged in (I slung a Fishman Matrix Infinity in it when I got it, which sounds huge). Plus it was a gift from my Dad, so has nice nostalgic value too.

#2) Gibson Advanced Jumbo

This speaks for itself, very loudly too. Amazing instrument.

#3) 1893 Lyon & Healy Parlour

A lucky find in a local house clearance shop, it sounds amazing and plays surprisingly well for such an old guitar. Tremendous character and brilliant boxy blues tone.

#4) Gibson L-00 Blues King

A great workhorse instrument, beautiful to look at, easy to play and sounds expensive.

#5) LAG Roxane electric

This came into my posession after its previous owner, a good friend of mine, sadly passed away at the end of 2010. It's a great all-rounder and a guitar which I'll always play with pride.

#6) Takamine EAN20C

I wrote and recorded my first two albums with this, then sold it, but it has returned to me twice for various reasons, the latest time being as a gift from my Grandfather. I'll never let it go again-it's a fantastic, woody and beautiful sounding guitar, which is also exceptional when amplified.

#7) Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop

This is the non-P90 version. I was lent this guitar years ago by a friend who moved to Portugal shortly afterwards. I've recently come to own it thanks to doing some session work for said pal, and it's a great instrument but needs a lot of work (refret, new electrics) before it'll really shine.

So, there you have it-all that money spent on gear and my favourite guitar is a humble Epi jumbo!

That's a lot of guitars Mr. Markini !

Any chance to see a family pic ?

[smile]

This is outdated. I have added, traded and swapped since then. (more Gibsons now, anothere tele, PRs etc.. will post when whether is nice for another photo.

My favorite electric is my '05 1963 Reissue ES-335. Awesome guitar!!!

As for acoustics, that is much harder to say. When pushed, I guess I would have to say my J-45 Legend. Awesome guitar. But my AJ has been sounding really, really great lately. The bass on the AJ has really opened up and sounds amazing!

I have several guitars and they go in and out of the rotation so it's hard to say I have a favorite guitar. At the moment I have 4 guitars leaning against the wall of my new place in Oakland, two small and two medium sized:

Bubinga Blues King

Martin 00-18vs (12 fret mahogany)

CJ-165 Maple

Martin OM-21 (rosewood)

These four offer a lot of choices like 12 vs 14 fret, short vs long scale and the various timbres available from bubinga, maple, mahogany, and rosewood. I tend to play different types of tunes on different guitars. Pretty soon one of these will go in the case and I'll get out an acoustic archtop.

Two what look like same specced Hummingbirds.... any particular reason for that ?

Asking becasue Im wondering whether its not overkill to add a HB TV to the herd even though I already own a 69' Bird.

This is outdated. I have added, traded and swapped since then. (more Gibsons now, anothere tele, PRs etc.. will post when whether is nice for another photo.

Archived