Gibson Brands Forums

Pros and cons of lowering action?

Hairy Dave

Just wondering what your thoughts are on lowering the action on guitars? I've problems playing barre chords (not enough practice and I've smallish hands) and think lowering the action and changing from mediums to lights might help? Should it improve playability overall?

My friend recently lowered his (kept using mediums though) and I quite liked the feel. Don't want to make a rash decision though.

Any suggestions on good strings for a rosewood j45? I've Martin mediums on at the minute.

Thanks.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on lowering the action on guitars? I've problems playing barre chords (not enough practice and I've smallish hands) and think lowering the action and changing from mediums to lights might help? Should it improve playability overall?

My friend recently lowered his (kept using mediums though) and I quite liked the feel. Don't want to make a rash decision though.

Any suggestions on good strings for a rosewood j45? I've Martin mediums on at the minute.

Thanks.

The pros are 'easier fingering'...Thats it!

The cons are buzzing when played hard, less volume ...because of that....Thats it!

Hi Hairy! ( I love saying that ) Try going down to a gauge that gives you a noticeable different feel, starting with .011's. You can go heavier as you progress. Lowering the string height at the saddle is OK if your neck angle can deal with it. If you begin to buzz, you'll be shopping a new saddle. Unless you play along with backing tracks or along with song, you can tune down a half step. You'll hit those barre chords just fine 'til your hand strength boots up. You can use a capo if you need to play in standard key.

Really there is but one "pro": making the guitar one you can play comfortably. If that involves simply a string gauge change, a few home tweaks or a full-blown setup by a tech I think you should do what is necessary to get the guitar in it's best condition for your style of play. Unless taken to an extreme, there's not much that's negative about lowering the action to an acceptable height. [thumbup]

Having the correct action for your style is a wonderful thing. You might want to invest in a action gauge (available at Stewmac (http://www.stewmac.com/) or just a good metal ruler ..........generally about 6/64 at the 12th fret is good. Also be sure your neck is properly adjusted with the truss rod before shaving on the saddle. Adjusting the action is not something that one is able to do once and forget about. It is part of ongoing care ... especially should you change string sizes. Don't be afraid to play around with it to find what's right for you.

Thanks for your comments - I think I'll try 11's before I do anything else. I 'think' I've 13's on at the minute. The sound is great - really thumpy bass and great clarity overall. I'm relatively new to guitars and have no real idea how changing to lights will change the sound (if at all?).

I'll let you know how I get on :-)

Archived