Gibson Brands Forums

Bass Players who use picks????

onewilyfool

There are a lot of Bass players who use tge pick instead of fingers.......but I can't find any information on WHICH PICKS bass players use??? Are they the same as guitar picks?? Anyone on the forum play Bass with a pick? Which do you use?

Here are a handful (mostly favorites of mine):

Graham Maby (Joe Jackson, They Might Be Giants, Marshall Crenshaw, Natalie Merchant)

Colin Moulding (XTC)

Paul McCartney (The Beatles, Wings)

Carol Kaye (The Beach Boys, Ray Charles, The Monkees, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, many more)

Joe Osborn (Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers, Mamas and Papas, Simon and Garfunkel, The Association, The Carpenters)

T-Bone Wolk (Hall & Oates, Elvis Costello, BB King, Carly Simon, Shawn Colvin, Jellyfish)

John Entwhistle (The Who)

John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

Chris Squire (Yes)

Mike Mills (REM)

Sting (The Police)

Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick)

Rick Danko (The Band)

Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones)

Jack Bruce (Cream)

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

John Deacon (Queen)

Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix)

I've been using the orange Dunlop Tortex .60's for years now when I use a pick. I tried to get used to the really thick picks like 1.5-3.0 but could never get a sound I liked out of them. Same goes for quarters when I tried to get Chris Squire's tone. If you want to check out a good pick player look up Bobby Vega, excellent rounded player.

I've stated this here before.

When I started playing bass, (back when people lived in caves), I converted over from guitar, so naturally I used a pick.

I worked in a music store, so I had my choice of dozens of different picks.

For bass I chose the Fender 355, (actually "HEAVY".

Because I became comfortable with it, I still use 'em today on guitar.

1096931719_4239837493_thumbnail.jpg

I always used felt picks on bass. They take a little getting used to, but they're great if you want to use a pick without the "pick pluck".

Back in the day (late '70's and early '80's) when I played in a rock band, I played a lot of bass guitar. I always used a felt pick. Easier on the fingers and had an "all bass" sound.

I use a Gibson XH pick. I am an active bass player. Switched over from guitar in order to get work here in Nashville, and so far so good. I use the same pick for guitar. I found that the rig itself can often times have more to do with the "pick tone." I like very low endy rigs -- typically use a cab with a 15, and I dial my tone knob all the way down to 2. I also use flatwounds on my P-Bass, rounds on my Gibson LP Std bass.

I think I found my pick!!! The local store has two felt picks, both by Dunlop. First is thick and white, the other is tapered and light brown. The white one has a softer (jazz) type of sound. The brown one a bit brighter sound. Noteworthy...these picks are good for ukes too!!! Softens that plunky sound. I used it with my Tacoma Papoose and it sounded great. Might be worth a try on any guitar that sounds too bright to your ears!

Archived