Gibson Brands Forums

My Wah Wah is in the shop, Why? because it squeaks

FenderGuy1

The squeak could be coming from the back where it pivots or from the part that keeps the tension constant,in that case a shot ot WD 40 there would certainly do the trick.If however it's the pot,you'll have to go to an electronics store and buy some electrical contact spray cleaner and squirt that right into the pot.There is a slim chance that the plastic notched shaft and gear at the front are squeaking where they contact each other which would need WD-40.These are the only places the squeaking could be coming from.

Guest farnsbarns

Wd40 is good stuff when used correctly but far too many people just use it as a universal lubricant. We must remember that it is a volatile releasing agent (ie it evaporates). Not a lubricant. It also tends to dissolve and wash away the correct lubricant applied by the manufacturer. In this case you have a squeak coming from either metal on plastic or plastic on plastic (almost certainly nylon) . The correct lubricant, imho, is molykote grease. It doesn't promote molecular abrasion like many types of grease which is why it is commonly used in a plastic on plastic/metal application. It is extremely easy to get and cheap. You can buy tiny tubes of it too which is good.

Squeaking or Crackling? Could be your potentiometer needs replacing, or just a little lithium grease around the Rack and Pinion. Or a little Oil (3 in 1, sewing machine, or gun oil) on the pivot point. I'd stay away from WD40 unless you want your pedal board to smell like a garage.

Squeaking or Crackling? Could be your potentiometer needs replacing, or just a little lithium grease around the Rack and Pinion. Or a little Oil (3 in 1, sewing machine, or gun oil) on the pivot point. I'd stay away from WD40 unless you want your pedal board to smell like a garage.

+1

You could go out and buy a Morley,they don't have pots and use a photoelectric cell of some type,I'm not an electrical tech so I don't know the true mechanics of it.I have one of the first Morely Power Wahs made and it still operates whisper quiet at almost 40 years old.

Archived