Gibson Brands Forums

Fedoras

brannon67

They were real popular in Frank Sinatra's time because he wore them, usually the narrow brimmed ones you see the kids wearing.

You can thank the Kennedy's for a shift in America's head gear thinking.

While most 'properly dressed' women wore a hat, Jackie begain wearing the then new style 'pill box'. Jack (the President) by and large didn't wear one. And thus Americans began to mimic the First Family.

At some point women began to eschew head wear as well. Probably during the big hair days of the 70's, which made head wear impractical.

Not sure who got this fad off and running. Country Guit tarist, Kristian Bush of "Sugarland" has been known to wear one on stage, but I don't think he started it.

And too, the young ladies are now donning hats on certain occasions. I think they are mimicking the new Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton).

I agree entirely with Tommy on the Kennedy thing. But also figure that cars were getting better heating systems and were starting to shrink so a hat didn't fit into a vehicle anyway.

Indiana Jones probably helped the urban crowd. Black Americans have tended to keep wearing hats of various sorts more than white Americans, so you can add that into the mix, too.

Where I live you'll even see a significant percentage of males wearing various sorts of headgear year-round whether caps or "cowboy" hats. I wear a "cowboy hat" most of the time myself.

In more urban environments I even pretend I'm civilized and take off the hat while at meals in a restaurant. Where I live, though, it's even common for folks to have working spurs on their boots as well as wearing hats while eating in restaurants or drinking at a local saloon. It's part of the culture.

The same guy in hat, boots and spurs might break into poetry or Shakespeare quotes over a hand-cut steak dinner at the Branding Iron steakhouse. Then after helping at a branding north of town, he may take off the spurs and go back to his day job as local bank president.

The hat, boots and spurs also may well have cost more than most "Wall Street" guys' suits.

It's more than covering the bald spot, it's also a lot more comfortable in ways than going hatless. It's warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I wear a brimmed hat largely because my ears are super-sensitive to the sun after I froze 'em when I was 20.

Then too, let's face it, men's styles change every other generation in ways, so it's about time for brimmed hats to return.

m

fail-owned-hat-fail-1.jpg?w=400&h=534

I never cared much for hats or caps, including Sinatra-style (trilby) fedoras. I've worn Stetson fedoras for years, and I like the Bat Masterson-type fedoras even though I'd never wear one.

Bat Masterson:

bat%2Bmasterson.jpg

Stetson fedora:

tilleyhatmontanablackk.jpg

Actually W.B. Masterson, lawman, buffalo hunter and finally journalist, wasn't exactly wearing a fedora in that photo nor in his earlier years since the term wasn't in general use until some time prior to the opening of the 20th century.

As for "what's wrong with homosexuals," nothing although some have been known to dress in such ways that might bring attention to themselves and their costuming...

The fedora is pretty much a "generic" term for a brimmed hat that doesn't have another name - such as "cowboy" or "bowler."

m

Whats wrong with homosexuals?

I never said anything was wrong with them. I just said the hats remind me of them, the way people wear them today. First of all, you should look classy before wearing one. You can't just put on a fedora, or else it doesn't look right. One common thing I see is homosexual men in DC with them.

Buxom...I wear fedoras every now and then......you gonna label me a homosexual? There's nothing wrong with homosexuals. But Bruno Mars...that's another story.... Depends on the music I am playing. For the blusier stuff, fedoras and cachuchas (or whatever the hell you call them), for my Rush type stuff, skull hats (sportin' my Rush beanie right now. It even sports the 2112 star on it. WARNING: DO NOT WEAR RUSH STUFF AT CHURCH. HAHAHAHAH). But most of the time, I let the hair loose.

I mean... if I catch you in DC, browsing the local bookstores or going to a coffee shop with another man... That's a different story. It's not my fault that my automatic thought of the homosexual image includes a fedora, I didn't choose to live 10 miles outside of DC. Maybe if my parents didn't get a divorce I'd still live up north. (although I wouldn't have it any other way, I'd kill myself if I had to move)

Archived