Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a LP 60's Tribute

Birddog

Good afternoon everyone.

I am in the market for a guitar and have came across the Gibson LP Tribute series. I see they have a 50's and a 60's Tribute model out. I was wondering if someone could get me some pointers on what to look for when buying a 60's Tribute vs a 50's. My local guitar shop has some 60's in stock with the P90s and so far by what I have seen, it is an amazing guitar.

I know everyone says to stay away from Guitar Center. I live near Detroit, MI and it just doesn't seem that a lot of local mom and pop guitar shops carry a better selection of Gibsons. Anyways, I talked to GC and well, would you believe they are having a sale this weekend? Who would've thunk? Anyways, the guitar is listed for $849.99 and has 15% off of it as well. Brings the total to $722.49. What do you people think? Good deal? Also, 12 months same as cash.

They have the goldtop, white and a black one in stock. I'm def. going for the goldtop. Love the looks!!

Thanks,

Birddog

P.S. How are the necks on the guitars? Much different in the 50's or 60's? Reason I ask is because I got big hands and long fingers. Thanks again!!!

I have one too, a 60s Goldtop..

They ARE great guitars no doubt... I was going to get a Honeyburst one but the chance to own a Goldtop at this price which I never thought I would was too good to pass up.. Also I did try several of these guitars and I dont know if its the solid finish or what but the GT sounded better too for some reason (probably in my head, but even compared to my other guitars this still sounds great)..

As for the necks, thats nothing but personal preference.. I have fairly big hands (not massive by any means) but I find the 60s neck faster as its slimmer and tapered so a bit thicker at the bottom E and slimmer at the top E.. But then some people prefer the larger "baseball bat" type necks.. so try both and see what feels good :)

DSC01193.jpg

Welcome, to the forum, "Birddog!" You've made good choice, in Les Paul's, regarding

value/dollar, for a (real) Gibson! [biggrin] I too, own a '60's Tribute "Gold Top!"

Great looking, sounding, and playing guitar!

DSC_0044-1.jpg

Things to look out for? Well, like any guitar, "Fit, Finish, and Fret work!" Accept

no compromise, on any of those things. Make sure all electronic components work, as

well as they should! "Selector switches" have been a bit of a problem, now and then.

So, test those out, as well. Just because it's a "lower cost Gibson," doesn't mean it

has to be lower quality. Mine, certainly, is NOT! Take your time, look at many examples,

and pick the best one! IF you think there's something about it, that might "bother" you,

a little...move on! Find one, that's as near perfect, as you're likely to get. They're

(definitely) out there!

Good hunting!

CB

Things to look out for? Well, like any guitar, "Fit, Finish, and Fret work!" Accept

no compromise, on any of those things. Make sure all electronic components work, as

well as they should! "Selector switches" have been a bit of a problem, now and then.

So, test those out, as well. Just because it's a "lower cost Gibson," doesn't mean it

has to be lower quality. Mine, certainly, is NOT! Take you time, look at many examples,

and pick the best one! IF you think there's something about it, that might "bother" you,

a little...move on! Find one, that's as near perfect, as you're likely to get. They're

(definitely) out there!

Good hunting!

CB

Thanks man. Yea, I am always nervous on purchases like these. I do not play well enough to know everything to look for. Thanks for the advice. Yea, want to make sure all the electronics work. My local store only has 1 goldtop so I hope it is near perfect. They do have a white one and an ebony one. Another store a little further has a goldtop. More of a drive but hey, I am spending enough money, might as well get the best I can!

I went to the GC store last night. It was a beautiful GT but man, it had the dark back and not the natural wood look like I see in all the pictures. Was a bit disappointed at that point. So I drove 20 miles to another GC and they had the GT with the natural look. The switch for the Rhythm or Tone was missing the knobs. Had a few rub marks were it looked like the Gold finish was worn down at the ends. They said it was the "worn look." So, I didn't get that one.

They did have a nice Honeyburst with the dark back and it sounded very nice to play. Came real close to getting it. Wish I could find a cherry sunburst one. Well, something said to hold off on it. I have all weekend and don't really need it. Now, I need to call the guy because I saw they had a beautiful cherry Gibson SG used one. Want to find the details out on that.

Also, are the pickups in the guitar supposed to move a lot? Because these ones were. I don't know enough about them to judge for myself and asking the sales staff is like talking to a used car salesman.

Thanks,

Birddog

I went to the GC store last night. It was a beautiful GT but man, it had the dark back and not the natural wood look like I see in all the pictures. Was a bit disappointed at that point. So I drove 20 miles to another GC and they had the GT with the natural look. The switch for the Rhythm or Tone was missing the knobs. Had a few rub marks were it looked like the Gold finish was worn down at the ends. They said it was the "worn look." So, I didn't get that one.

They did have a nice Honeyburst with the dark back and it sounded very nice to play. Came real close to getting it. Wish I could find a cherry sunburst one. Well, something said to hold off on it. I have all weekend and don't really need it. Now, I need to call the guy because I saw they had a beautiful cherry Gibson SG used one. Want to find the details out on that.

Also, are the pickups in the guitar supposed to move a lot? Because these ones were. I don't know enough about them to judge for myself and asking the sales staff is like talking to a used car salesman.

Thanks,

Birddog

Yes thats right there are two versions.. One has to wonder what the wood grain on the darkbacks would look like. But then I guess some people just prefer that look..

And you did absoloutley the right thing in holding back until you find that perfect one. Its one of those things that if you just brush it off and go on the impulse you will regret as each time you look at the guitar any imperfections will annoy you and youd wish you hadnt :) I once made my shop bring in every Gary Moore BFG in to the shop from all their other branches as I wasnt happy and in the end I went with the first one they showed me lol but I didnt regeret it (even though I sold it on in the end).

It is true that these guitars do have the "worn" look and arnt perfect in finish on the edges, you get that kind of fake binding that can look a bit rough, but as long as the body is scratch and dent free then thats probably ok.. And the pickups certainly do wobble around a bit, but only to the touch they shouldnt shake or rattle when you move the guitar around..

Happy hunting man, keep up the search, its worth the effort theres that "one" just sitting somewhere waiting for you :)

(ahh new guitar days, hmmmmmmmm)

I know everyone says to stay away from Guitar Center. I live near Detroit, MI and it just doesn't seem that a lot of local mom and pop guitar shops carry a better selection of Gibsons. Anyways, I talked to GC and well, would you believe they are having a sale this weekend? Who would've thunk? Anyways, the guitar is listed for $849.99 and has 15% off of it as well. Brings the total to $722.49. What do you people think? Good deal? Also, 12 months same as cash.

One thing to be careful about at Guitar Center is their coupons. They have a whole page of exclusions for in store and online purchases, and Gibson is listed. I'm not saying you definately won't get a discount, but you need to read the fine print so to speak.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/couponexclusions

One thing to be careful about at Guitar Center is their coupons. They have a whole page of exclusions for in store and online purchases, and Gibson is listed. I'm not saying you definately won't get a discount, but you need to read the fine print so to speak.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/couponexclusions

Yea, I have already asked and they made it clear they can honor those coupons on the Gibson.

The First Tributes I saw was the worn and the current models have these dark brown backs.

Its personal preference I guess but these are so damn hard to get hold of as they always seem to sell quickly.

Regarding the Cherry you fancy I'm only aware they did that as part of the "Worn" series so if your put off by this you only really have the choice of the dark backs.

They come Gold, Ebony, Vintage & Honey Bursts

Needless to say take your time deciding.

# P90's are normally loose in the cavity because they don't use pickup surrounds (Tho humbuckers can also be loose)

Regarding the SG it can have neck diving issues but if you prefer an SG over a Les Paul I say go for it...

Yea, I have already asked and they made it clear they can honor those coupons on the Gibson.

That's good if you decide to buy from them..I had a coupon from GC and wanted to purchase a Les Paul, and they wouldn't honor it. I went down the street to Sam Ash pulled the coupon out of my pocket, I didn't tell them GC wouldn't honor it on a Gibson..They gave me the coupon discount, so I went home with my new LP. That was a couple years ago though.

I know I am asking a lot of you guys but really appreciate all the help. I have found a Gibson Les Paul Studio Worn Cherry.

Here is the link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STUDIO-FADED-RED-W-C-107494815-i2385848.gc

I looked at some youtube videos and reviews look good. Anyone with experience on it??

Thanks,

Birddog

I know I am asking a lot of you guys but really appreciate all the help. I have found a Gibson Les Paul Studio Worn Cherry.

Here is the link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STUDIO-FADED-RED-W-C-107494815-i2385848.gc

I looked at some youtube videos and reviews look good. Anyone with experience on it??

Thanks,

Birddog

These are also really nice guitars for the money.. They have 50s necks, and obviously have Humbuckers (Burstbucker Pros I believe which are great pups) rather than P90s in the tributes.. My brother in law has one and its a really nice guitar.. body wise very similar to the tributes but obviously a totally different finish (which I quite like).. So really it depends on how much you like those P90s on the tributes cos this will sound quite different.. and also if you dont mind the 50s neck (which is why I never went for one of these).

These are also really nice guitars for the money.. They have 50s necks, and obviously have Humbuckers (Burstbucker Pros I believe which are great pups) rather than P90s in the tributes.. My brother in law has one and its a really nice guitar.. body wise very similar to the tributes but obviously a totally different finish (which I quite like).. So really it depends on how much you like those P90s on the tributes cos this will sound quite different.. and also if you dont mind the 50s neck (which is why I never went for one of these).

Thanks! I really couldn't tell you the difference between a 50's and 60's neck. I mean, I am suck a noob that I don't think it would matter to me. Give it a few years and sure, I will be able to tell. Gonna go look at it tomorrow I believe!! It also comes with a Hardshell case!

I talked to the Rep at GC and asked him about the Studio Les Paul. He couldn't tell me what exact humbuckers came in the guitar. Does anyone know? Said it was of course made in USA in 2009. Also, comes with vintage tuners and a Hardshell Case!

You guys think this is a good deal? I think it is.

I talked to the Rep at GC and asked him about the Studio Les Paul. He couldn't tell me what exact humbuckers came in the guitar. Does anyone know? Said it was of course made in USA in 2009. Also, comes with vintage tuners and a Hardshell Case!

You guys think this is a good deal? I think it is.

The Faded Studio's come with "Burstbuckers!" (Burstbucker Pro's in the Faded Studio Pro)

CB

Most 60s tribute lps out now are not from the limited run, and therefore have a baked maple fretboard. (sake with all new 50s tributes). I picked up a a 60s tribute from the first limited run, (i believe they also did a second run) and it has a rosewood fretboard. Baked maple has a tendency to be lighter, but is not always, so the best way to tell the difference is by the wood grain. The baked maple will have a bigger grain. I can't forsee these non limited run models holding or increasin in value any time in the near future, so please take this into consideration. Still, the p90s rule and my 60s trib sings!

Most 60s tribute lps out now are not from the limited run, and therefore have a baked maple fretboard. (sake with all new 50s tributes). I picked up a a 60s tribute from the first limited run, (i believe they also did a second run) and it has a rosewood fretboard. Baked maple has a tendency to be lighter, but is not always, so the best way to tell the difference is by the wood grain. The baked maple will have a bigger grain. I can't forsee these non limited run models holding or increasin in value any time in the near future, so please take this into consideration. Still, the p90s rule and my 60s trib sings!

Baked Maple fingerboards are great anyway.. some say better than Rosewood... And if the guitar is limited run or not surely is not the issue.. Its if he gets the guitar he wants that sounds and looks good if it be a limited run, Baked Maple or Rosewood board? The Studio models are unlikely ever to really increase in value anyway (not by anything substantial anyway). Ive seen people trying to sell them on ebay saying how rare they are only to fail..

Agreed...these are NOT "investment" guitars! If you want that, stick with

the "Historic's" and/or the very limited edition CS versions. And, even that

is no guarantee, down the line, that they will be worth anything more, beyond "inflation."

As to "baked maple" fingerboards? Love 'em! The one on my "Classic Custom"

is great! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Thanks,

Birddog

Also so you know what to look for, heres an example of a Baked Maple and a Rosewood board.. (even though the BM ones tend to be variying shades)

BMvsRosewood.jpg

Hey Everyone!

Well, I have played multiple 60's Tributes and haven't found any that I really love. Some where badly damaged on the shelf. One even had a slight bend in the neck and another had the switch to be non-working. I guess thats what you get when it is pulled off the shelf and a lot of people play them. So, I went on to even look at Fender Strats. Found some really nice Standard Deluxes but couldn't bring myself to fork over that much money. $1200 is a little out of my price range right now.

So, I traveled to 4 different guitar stores. Finally, I saw this Gibson calling my name and kept calling. I walked over to it and held it, fell in love with it and played it and oooo I want it to have my 3rd child. (Wife didn't like that.) Anyways, it is a Gibson Les Paul Studio faded cherry that was produced in 2009. A fella bought it and kept it in his closet for 2 years never to play it. The finish is incredible. The workmanship is flawless. The original owner bought the Gibson USA hardshell case for it and a few other items. Including a nice Fender tuner. All this I didn't even know about. Well turns out, he sold it back to the store because his 76 Corvette was more imporatant. Anyways, one man's unwantables are now my treasures!! It is unbelievable. I love it. So does the wife. And since I bought it used, I saved quite a bit of money. I will post pictures later when I take some really good ones. I cannot wait till I can spend some enjoyable long hours on this ax.

Thanks everyone for the help too btw! You guys are great! Well, here is one picture. More to follow. What do you guys think??

Birddogcof

post-40774-025442700 1329624391_thumb.jpg

Archived