Gibson Brands Forums

Everything You Wanted to Know about the 1960 50th Anniversarry 335 But Were Afraid to Ask*

TinyBabyBrandon

I found setting the tailpiece height so that the break angle matches the nut headstock angle works the best. I played with all kinds of settings and I couldn't detect anything beneficial by cranking it down to the body. You have to set it up to what feels and sounds best to you. Doesn't matter what everyone's else does. You'll get all kinds of preferences, yours is what's important.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I actually hiked it up last night and lo and behold the e string problem came back, so I think it's actually a tension issue rather than a spacing issue. Anyway I ended up screwing the tailpiece slightly tighter to the body on the treble side of the tailpiece and a little higher on the bass side, so far it's achieving the desired effect. Pretty, pretty good.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I actually hiked it up last night and lo and behold the e string problem came back, so I think it's actually a tension issue rather than a spacing issue. Anyway I ended up screwing the tailpiece slightly tighter to the body on the treble side of the tailpiece and a little higher on the bass side, so far it's achieving the desired effect. Pretty, pretty good.

Hi Tiny,

I had what I think might be the same problem as you have or had with the e string. It happened on my brand new Tal Farlow. Mine kept slipping off particularly around the 4th to 8th frets. It really irritated me as it happened when i tried to grab chords as well as with single note play. I had never experienced this problem before.

When I took the guitar to my tech, he knew exactly how to fix it and he was right. He adjusted a couple of the frets and the problem was completely solved. Its now 6 months since he fixed it and still no problem.

By the way your guitar looks great. Congrats.

Hi Tiny,

I had what I think might be the same problem as you have or had with the e string. It happened on my brand new Tal Farlow. Mine kept slipping off particularly around the 4th to 8th frets. It really irritated me as it happened when i tried to grab chords as well as with single note play. I had never experienced this problem before.

When I took the guitar to my tech, he knew exactly how to fix it and he was right. He adjusted a couple of the frets and the problem was completely solved. Its now 6 months since he fixed it and still no problem.

By the way your guitar looks great. Congrats.

Hi Alan, Yep that sounds right, exactly like mine, chording and single line stuff, but mine was all over the fretboard, although a little less so on the higher frets. So far this is working, but it if ever reappears, it might be time to look at the frets.

Speaking about strings slipping off the edge of the fretboard, when I got my first Gibson, that kept happening to me. I couldn't figure out what was going on but there had to be an explanation. I didn't have this problem with any of my other guitars. Well I did finally figure it out. I was use to playing 25.5" necks with #10' strings. Well using 10's on a Gibson that has a 24.75 neck feels like 9's. I switched to 11's on both Gibson's and they feel like 10' on my 25.5" neck guitars. It's all about string tension. I immediately cured the problem of the high and low E string slipping off the fretboard. I doubt you will slip off anymore with 11's , it worked for me, just saying.

Archived