Gibson Brands Forums

New Practice Guitar

ajay

My main guitar is a 2002 Advanced Jumbo. I love it a lot. it's my fourth AJ, and it's a nice Brazilian. I gave my old Epiphone dread to my friend's daughter, so I was without a campfire or pick it up in my work clothes guitar.

I recently visited my Brother. He has a mint Gibson B-25, and I had a lot of fun playing on that old student guitar. It sounded pretty nice even with the adjustable bridge. He is going to give it to me, and I plan to have the bridge replaced with a non-adjustable. I'm sure that it will sound great, but it may be a few years before he drives up to see me, at which time he plans to give it to me.

Move to today. On Gruhn's site I saw a nice old 1968 Kalamazoo KG-10 all mahogany box in really nice shape at a great price ($600). Well, I just got off of the phone with Keith at Gruhn's, and the old Kalamazoo will soon be on its way to me. It is exactly the same guitar as a Gibson B-15, except for the differences on the headstock.

I am really psyched to have a guitar that I can relax with, and not worry so much about taking extreme care so as to not injure my Brazilian AJ. I think that I will play a lot more often. My wife and I bought an old drafty farmhouse in the cold (most years) northeast. Every time I break out my AJ, the case is cool enough to the touch that I let it warm up for a while before I break it out, and especially near the fireplace.

Sorry to bore you with this, but I'm happy to get this little sideline piece of Gibson history. I am looking forward to just grabbing the case, flipping it open,and playing away without fear of a nitro disaster. Even if it doesn't sound that great, it should be a great little workout box. Anything Gibson ever made is fine with me.

I recently inherited my Dad's old 1930's model 27 Dobro also, so my guitar playing should become a lot more interesting with these new additions.

Congratulations on the guitar!

But, well, what are you going to chain it down by the shed like an ugly dog?

Then realise poor doggy looking cold-he can go in the laundry.

Then later he can go on the matt at the end of the bed....

It will sound great and then you realise they don't make those guitars anymore......

BluesKing777.

Congratulations on the guitar!

But, well, what are you going to chain it down by the shed like an ugly dog?

Then realise poor doggy looking cold-he can go in the laundry.

Then later he can go on the matt at the end of the bed....

It will sound great and then you realise they don't make those guitars anymore......

BluesKing777.

I will treat it well. I just won't be quite as spastic as I have become with my AJ. I'll still let it warm up, just not quite as long. It will spend its life next to my AJ. I'm not that mean!

Plus, I just figured out that this little Kalamazoo was made during the last year before Norlin took over. I think I will give it a little extra love just for that!

.Had a '97 AJ, which I traded for an old J-45 Banner (for the cool factor, bad decision). It had chronic loose brace syndrome plus needed a neck reset. Traded that on a brand new 2002 AJ.EIR, which I custom ordered. I bought another AJ for cheap on Craidslist just because it was basically new for $1100. Sold that one at a decent profit, and then bought a 2002 Brazilian. i then sold my 2002 EIR AJ because the Brazilian was considerably more resonant. I love the Advanced Jumbo, and I hope that Gibson never stops making them even with Ren gone. I would have to be in real trouble to part with my Brazilian. I'm really looking forward to what the little Kalamazoo is like, as I play only fingerstyle. Gruhn graded it exceptionally fine, so it should be a very nice little box. I'm taking out the old Brazilian right now to give it a workout, as it may be neglected for a short while when the Kalamazoo shows up.

Hey Pfox- i saw your website. Have you ever done the ADJ to Fixed bridge fix? It caertainly looks like you know your way around the inside of an acoustic. I also intend to get your book on Gibson's alternate labels.

Hey Pfox- i saw your website. Have you ever done the ADJ to Fixed bridge fix? It caertainly looks like you know your way around the inside of an acoustic. I also intend to get your book on Gibson's alternate labels.

Any good luthier can do that for you. Probably cost $200 or less if the bridgeplate is good.

Not sure I would go that far.

Never anything but Gibsons in my family with four kids, all of whom play acoustic (except for my new Kalamazoo). I've never seen a Gibson yet that couldn't be adjusted into a great box. I'm sure that most guitar factories put out a pooch now and then.

Point well taken though. Never say never I guess.

Archived