Gibson Brands Forums

Screws in humbuckers???

coilz

The screws are used to fine tune the height of the pickup for each string once the entire pickup is adjusted. You adjust each screw to make the volume of each string consistent between strings.

Adjusting the screws also slightly changes the tone of each pickup, but only very slightly.

I don't think I'll be playing about with them much then lol although I would like to see what they do, anyone set them up them selves?

In reality, they aren't actually needed because they have good balance to begin with, and they don't change a whole lot even if you do adjust them. As was said, it was designed into it more as a gimmick or selling point, that you COULD adjust them if you want.

I'm just repeating what was said, but go ahead and adjust away. No harm, and the only way to really know is to try and hear for yourself.

I don't think I'll be playing about with them much then lol although I would like to see what they do, anyone set them up them selves?

Always trust your ears.

Do you hear a noticeable imbalance from string to string as you play a across the neck? If so and it bugs you you can play around with the pole screws. It won't change much though.

The original humbucker design from Seth Lover had no adjustable poles because they just weren't needed. But the big shots at Gibson didn't like that. The P-90 was viewed by the guitar playing public as being more technologically advances than Fender pickups because it had adjustable poles. They wanted Seth to add screw poles to the humbucker so their new pickups would not be perceived as a step backwards to the uneducated masses.

If you're the kind of person who likes to do stuff the right way, then adjust the screws.

If you're the kind of person who knows everything before you know anything, then don't do anything you're supposed to do.

[thumbup]

Yup........Translated, this means that the "magneticus magnum mass" that makes strings vibrate come up through the six screws......

Fenders sound different from Gibsons because they use "round magneticus magnesium mass" thingees instead of screws.....(Urban Myth )...............

.........The actual magnetic field is bigger than one might think, and is affected more by other variables than screw height.....

Archived