Gibson Brands Forums

J 45 vs D 18

JuanCarlosVejar

Round 1: J-45

Round 2: D-18

Round 3: even...

I consider myself very lucky to own a great straight braced D-18 and a superb J-45. When I think about new guitars (*) I generally tend to think about variations of these two models.

(*) which is most of the time... [rolleyes]

I feel different.

I prefer the d-18 in round one: I like the brightness of it over the j-45 for that. I feel like I can hear more color in the notes.

Round 2, I MUCH prefer the j-45. I realize the d-18 has that 'bluegrassy' type thing going for it, but there is something really magical about the sweetness and tone of Gibson in the single note playing I think no other can do, and I hear it here. I personally, think it can be just as 'bluegrassy' as a Martin if we choose to take it for what it is, and consider classic bluegrass like the Bill Monroe type of stuff.

Round 3, J-45 ALL THE WAY for me. THAT'S when the Gibson 'growl' and color comes out.

Be interesting to hear one of the new 1 3/4" nut D-18's in action.

Yep. Based on the clips I've heard and the initial reviews from early owners, Martin's got a real winner with the new standard D-18, and I think they're going to sell a bunch of them. I'm considering one myself.

Gibson would be wise to do the same with the standard J-45.

I can't get good enough sound through my crappy dial-up to hear true tones, but it's my good fortune to be able to compare them in person each day. I go through phases preferring one over the other, but I play 'em both almost each day. They don't do the same thing in my song list. Neither likes over exuberant strumming but the Martin sounds more like you're in a church when flatpicked. The Gibson has a smaller soothing timbre. If I was given a 'Sophie's Choice', I'd hang onto the J45.

Archived