Gibson Brands Forums

Help required please ....

MrsLA

Hi,

I am looking to buy my girlfriend a new amp for her Gibson SG Standard, however, I have no idea where to start.

She uses various effects pedals and she mostly plays rock/alternative music (Metallica, The Chillis, Stone Sour, Pearl Jam etc.

She would ideally like the Mesa Boogie Amp, however my budget does not stretch that far :(!

I would like to surprise her, I know it is difficult to choose an Amp for someone else, especially as I have no guitar/amp knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

IMO one cannot go wrong with one of the 'hybrids' ie valve pre-amp/transistor power stage for good VFM

Most have amp models and fx to experiment with

Vox Valvetronics or Marshalls various...depends what is available locally if desired or go 'web-hunting'

Or if a pure valve/tube tone is required, the first decision is size (home use or gigging), combo or head/cab

Then peruse the available amps from Vox, Peavey, Marshall, Laney, Blackstar etc etc...

As people can get really fussy re guitars/amps it may be better to 'take the lucky lady' on a shopping/trying out trip <_<

V

:-({|=

IMO one cannot go wrong with one of the 'hybrids' ie valve pre-amp/transistor power stage for good VFM

Most have amp models and fx to experiment with

Vox Valvetronics or Marshalls various...depends what is available locally if desired or go 'web-hunting'

Or if a pure valve/tube tone is required, the first decision is size (home use or gigging), combo or head/cab

Then peruse the available amps from Vox, Peavey, Marshall, Laney, Blackstar etc etc...

As people can get really fussy re guitars/amps it may be better to 'take the lucky lady' on a shopping/trying out trip <_<

V

:-({|=

Thank you for your reply, after a quick glance online and a chat with my local guitar shop, I think I will take your advice and take her on an 'Amp' shopping trip! :)

Marshall class5 combo is light (around 25 lb) and portable. The 5 watts may not sound like much, but I have used mine at open mics with a drummer and other guitar players with headroom to spare. There is also a low power mode that switches to .1 watts for reasonable bedroom volume and acoustic guitar accompaniment. A $400 price tag may seem a bit steep, but it is not strictly limited to the bedroom and has all the classic marshall tone!

Archived