Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads...overated?

S t e v e

i know i posted about buckethead earlier but another player i don't get is randy rhoads, imo he is very overated...your thoughts? :-k

Just a matter of taste dude, maybe some don't find Gary Moore as good as you do (God knows I do, he's one the best ever) and it's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion and nobody can force you to like or appreciate any player.

I like Randy's playing and like his style and licks, but I don't really think he's one of the 10 best guitarists (I don't put Jimmy - any of them - on that list either).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked him, and I like very few "heavy metal" guitarists. Rhodes always put melody before speed.

This. While I don't think of him as one of the 10 all time best (he does make it to the first 25 tho) I think this is where he excelled... I just love his slow songs and every slower arrangement he did, I also find them more difficult than his fast stuff which would be pretty generic in todays music, his slow stuff is amazing and really genius.[thumbup]

I am a big fan of randys playing! His tone, on the other hand, almost infuriates me. I do not like it in the least.

I am the same; I love his live tone and The Tribute tone in particular is out of this world; but Blizzard's production sounds so archaic and lifeless. Diary is much better though...

Like you - I too am a huge RR fan too!

Matt

Hey, Randy did what he did! He's gone now. So, "over (or under) rated," is moot!

One either likes his contributions, or not.

Personally, I don't "rate" guitar players, as such. I either like them, or not.

"Best/Greatest," or who's "over-rated, or under-rated, is (to me) a "tail-chase,"

and (mostly) meaningless. For just one example...BB King isn't fast, or a "note

blizzard" type player, but...he's a master, at what he does, and has contributed,

vastly, to every other player, since...whether they know it (or acknowledge it),

or not. So, to me, he rates every bit as high, as Randy, Steve Vai, Satch, or

anyone else, for that matter. I much prefer to enjoy what a good/great guitar player

brings to the song/music, rather than their particular technical skills. But, that's

just me! [biggrin]

CB

Top 5 over rated reasons to start a thread:

1) When you have already tried and it didn't work.

2) Trying to start an argument.

3) testing the mods.

4) Not willing to participate in your own started discussions.

5) #1 answer: when the first and second troll attempt on the same subject proved to be no fun.

I think Vai is passionate but the way he expresses it does nothing for me. One thing with him (and definitely Gary Moore too) is that the rest of the instruments and everything in the song always feel like they were added on as an afterthought. Like they said ok here's this crazy guitar solo put a backing track behind it. They usually have horribly cheesy, thoughtless "backing tracks" that sound like they came from some website for free to help them practice their guitar solos.

IMO anyways..

All these threads are really stupid let's stop wasting time and space with them.

he totally bores me...totally no heart in his playing. It's all technical. Slash has more passion in his thumb then vai's whole body.

I respectfully disagree.

Steve Vai is not like other shredders; he's actually an incredibly soulful player. Plus he's an amazingly nice guy, which for me is important.

Archived