Gibson Brands Forums

do it all over which dread

ditdr

hi im a new member here and am looking for a dread to buy. i have a pretty flexible budget and will be trading in a gibson ranger electrocoustic thing. i am looking for a guitar that plays a variety of genres well from pop to country and has good playability as my skills are not honed perfectly! i have a gibson j100 extra that i am in love with but for some songs it has a little to much volume and can overpower vocals when played for parlour performances. please give me some insight im looking at hummingbirds j45's j50's ect. right now it seems some good deals are to be had on ebay but its difficult to drop thousands on a guitar you cant play first. im looking for an acoustic electric something what would you do if you could all over again and whats the census on gc guitars? im from ct and they are the only dealer with gibsons in stock.

... im from ct and they are the only dealer with gibsons in stock.

I have good news for you! Two of the three GCs in CT are within about half an hour of the Gibson Five Star Acoustic Dealer in Guilford, AcousticMusic.org, and the other is within an hour. So you do have an option with a much better selection, where you can find what model you like rather than basing your buying decision on what we like.

-- Bob R

you cant go wrong with a J 45,

as far as guitar center goes, see what they have, plus they have a great return policy

here is a list of gibson 5 star dealers

My link

thanks for the info may have to check out that other dealer ive heard a few things about gc getting lesser quality gibsons and am nervous as i buy guitars and hold on to them

I'd be torn between a J-45 TV and a Bird TV.

However if on a budget, I would go for a D-15S, I'm sure your thinking no way, but as the owner of a J-45 RW and a D-18 GE I gotta say my D-15S always blows me away!!

i just cant get over the mop inlays on the bird in heritage cherry mmmm what a beautiful guitar

This topic has been addressed here many times. If you do a search, you will probably find a lot of opinions. Most will say J-45 or Hummingbird. Both are great. The J-45 is known as the workhorse due to its versatility.

Also, using proper punctuation will make your posts easier to read! :)

This topic has been addressed here many times. If you do a search, you will probably find a lot of opinions. Most will say J-45 or Hummingbird. Both are great. The J-45 is known as the workhorse due to its versatility.

Also, using proper punctuation will make your posts easier to read! :)

Thanks for all the insight. I'll keep everyone in the loop, and be sure to post pictures and maybe a sound clip!

A Hummingbird would be my first choice. Im not sure why sue say they don't fingerpick well. Mine sure does. I prefer it over the J-45 because the notes have more clarity and the tone is sweeter. It really depends on your own personal playing technique. FOr fingerpicking and strumming with a pick, the Hummingbird really shines. For singing and songwriting, it can't be beat. It blends with vocals so well. Its not a bluegrass picker but thats not whats its made for.

Im like others in recommending a J-45 or Hummingbird, I would just add definitely try to True Vinatage models. Im in the camp that they do have a singificantly stronger tone that the standards, and this has been proven true every time I played a TV against a standard ... such as yesterday in London.

Try every option you can get your hands on and see which goes best with your vocal/playing style and the applications in which you will use the guitar the most. You have to judge each guitar individually on its own merits. Just because its a true vintage doesn't mean it will soud better than a modern classic or custom shop or a 60's model. I found this out when I was shopping for a Martin . Most people will tell you to get a GE or an Authentic or an HD. But some people prefer the standard models and even the 15 series over the more expensive offerings.

Picked up a new bird today to try out A Brand new hummingbird in sunburst. Personally i like everything but the action on it! I played a true vintage j45 and was absolutely blown away but it was fetching quite a bit higher price. I played 7 birds today a few j45s and an advanced jumbo, I like this one but not in love with it, but i have the chance to return it and try something else out. Its really hard to make a decision in store when you take her home its just very different.

J45 TV, AJ or 'Bird TV.

My choice would be an AJ. I've owned two J45s, two Birds, a Dove and an AJ. I've settled with the AJ as I love the tone, volume, projection, response and feel. The AJ is just brilliant, and long-scale too which suits me best neck-wise.

Special mention must go to the Dove also, they fingerpick surprisingly well, have tons of volume and sound enormous when flatpicked or strummed.

In terms of other manufacturers, Townes Van Zandt spent ten years playing a Martin D35 exclusively, recording all his classic-period albums with it. Amazing sounding instrument, Townes only stopped playing it after it was stolen in a bar fight.

hi im a new member here and am looking for a dread to buy. i have a pretty flexible budget and will be trading in a gibson ranger electrocoustic thing. i am looking for a guitar that plays a variety of genres well from pop to country and has good playability as my skills are not honed perfectly! i have a gibson j100 extra that i am in love with but for some songs it has a little to much volume and can overpower vocals when played for parlour performances. please give me some insight im looking at hummingbirds j45's j50's ect. right now it seems some good deals are to be had on ebay but its difficult to drop thousands on a guitar you cant play first. im looking for an acoustic electric something what would you do if you could all over again and whats the census on gc guitars? im from ct and they are the only dealer with gibsons in stock.

For vocal accompanient hard to beat a hummer in the natural acoustic sense. A nice J45 can also be sweet. All depends on your preference of course - play as many as you can! Of course, once their plugged in and electrified your into another ball game, but tasteful eq can be your friend here. Goodluck with your choice and have fun doing it!

I'd be torn between a J-45 TV and a Bird TV.

However if on a budget, I would go for a D-15S, I'm sure your thinking no way, but as the owner of a J-45 RW and a D-18 GE I gotta say my D-15S always blows me away!!

+1 on the d15 slot 12 fret. I think it's a great guitar also - haven't played the 18GE but have 18V. The 15S has definitely a more 'older' tone right off the bat that pushes out a lot of warm air deep within with a nice raw woody thump.

Archived