Gibson Brands Forums

lefty 2011 (2008) standard controls wired righty?

Beatles1909

Hi everyone,

I bought a lefty 2011 (2008) standard & I have to say it is an awesome playing/sounding guitar!

(will get a photo on here as soon as possible just got it last night)

The only question I have is, the controls are wired righty which is opposite to all my other guitars.

Does anyone know if they can be rewired lefty?

Being on a pcb I may just have to get used to it. I feel it is an over sight on Gibson's part if they are all like that!

I'm not complaining, just asking, after all we lefties are always being challenged so what's one more? [thumbup]

thanx,

not many lefties here on the site as far as I know but.

are you saying that your lefty controls wired with the neck volume pot at the bottom and the bridge volume pot at the top?

while most righties are wired Neck volume on top and bridge volume on bottom

if it is on a PCB, why don't you just disconnect the neck

not many lefties here on the site as far as I know but.

are you saying that your lefty controls wired with the neck volume pot at the bottom and the bridge volume pot at the top?

while most righties are wired Neck volume on top and bridge volume on bottom

if it is on a PCB, why don't you just disconnect the neck

At first, I also thought this was about volume and tone pot pickup assignments.

I could be wrong, but now I'm thinking this may be more about how the pots are wired and how the pot rotation on a lefty would be the opposite of a righty.

With a righty, when you rotate a volume pot that's under your thumb towards, let's say the end of your thumb, the volume decreases, with a lefty guitar and a righty pot, the volume would increase.

Just swiching the wire harness at the PCB wouldn't fix this.

"Lefty" pots are called for.

Allparts.com

http://www.allparts.com/Left-handed-Parts-s/342.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=342&show=20&page=1

Guitarpartsresource.com

http://guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_ctspots.htm

now I'm thinking this may be more about how the pots are wired and how the pot rotation on a lefty would be the opposite of a righty.

Just switching the wire harness at the PCB wouldn't fix this.

if this was a standard wired guitar and not a pcb guitar all he'd need to do is attach the wire to the other terminal (pots do swing both ways)

and of course switch the ground to the other terminal.

if this is a pcb (he he stated) just use a sewing pin to push on the connector lock that holds the wire in.

slide back the two outer wires and swap their sides.

That should change the direction of the sweep.

Archived